The ritual has begun, Satan's work is done!

I thought BNW was a return to form, but still quite not there at their pinnacle. I think the main reason for me is because not everyone had a chance to contribute to the writing? Perhaps some of the songs were written before Bruce and Adrian came back? I have a feeling the next Maiden album could be phenomenal. All the ingredients are there now to re-establish themselves firmly as they did with, say, Powerslave.

I really hope Bruce does write more, because his solo stuff is outstanding. I think I would actually have Chemical Wedding in my top ten albums of all time.

Ayeka - are you in the US as well then?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :D I'm as English as baked beans! And of course us poor deprived Brits initially only got a one-off concert in the Brave New World tour, then three dates thrown up three months later, and then two more two months after that! Hence, I would love a proper tour, man...it's funny looking at the old rosters, y'know. Last time Maiden came to my hometown (Plymouth) was either 1980 or '81...they even did St fucking Austall in '86! :eek:

Regarding BNW, I thought the songwriting was spread fairly evenly? The magazines made a big noise about Dave having three songwriting credits. Hang on...

*digs out copy of BNW*

Steve - 10 songs
Bruce & Janick - 4 songs
Dave - 3 songs
Adrian - 2 songs

Actually, maybe you got a point.... :D

Originally posted by Ayeka
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :D I'm as English as baked beans! And of course us poor deprived Brits initially only got a one-off concert in the Brave New World tour, then three dates thrown up three months later, and then two more two months after that! Hence, I would love a proper tour, man...it's funny looking at the old rosters, y'know. Last time Maiden came to my hometown (Plymouth) was either 1980 or '81...they even did St fucking Austall in '86! :eek:

Yeah I'm an Englishman in New York, to coin a phrase, heh. I think, though, gone are the days when big bands would play in smaller clubs spread about. Now they'll play one big venue and the fans will travel. Thing is about living in America is that it's so big, going from NY to Atlanta (ProgPower example) is like going from England to Spain. I think I've got used to travelling.

Put it this way, now that I live in America, I'm planning my trip to Wacken next year. Of course, all the time I lived in London, I didn't go once. D'oh! (And London to Hamburg on Ryan Air is only 25 quid!!).

Regarding BNW, I thought the songwriting was spread fairly evenly? The magazines made a big noise about Dave having three songwriting credits. Hang on...

*digs out copy of BNW*

Steve - 10 songs
Bruce & Janick - 4 songs
Dave - 3 songs
Adrian - 2 songs

Actually, maybe you got a point.... :D

Adrian Smith is a song writing genius. I hope he collaborates a lot more for the next one. When you get Bruce, Adrian, and Steve in the same room, they make magic!

I couldn't agree more Jay. I've always thought that Adrian wrote the most "catchy" of the Maiden material and his collaborations with Bruce were always great.

Let's hope the Bruce, Adrian and Steve triumverate really deliver on the next record

Originally posted by Symphony
I couldn't agree more Jay. I've always thought that Adrian wrote the most "catchy" of the Maiden material and his collaborations with Bruce were always great.

Let's hope the Bruce, Adrian and Steve triumverate really deliver on the next record

And perhaps have Roy Z produce too....that should bring something fresh to the collaboration!!

Kevin Shirley is definately producing the next album...I need to collect my thoughts about travelling, I feel like shit right now *^_^*

I thought BNW sounded alrigfht, but like I said, the three guitars weren't really brought out well enough. I hope this improves on the new album, else what's the point of having a third guy in there?! :(

Travelling? Well...I don't know how Americans put up with it! ^_^

Thing about the three guitars is that it all became wasted when two of the guitars were playing the same thing, and the third was playing the harmony.

This proves only further that most of the songs were written BEFORE they knew Adrian Smith was coming back. It was all written for two guitars for the most part.

I have to believe that the next album will be even better, but now when you read stuff about Bruce being more keen on flying holiday makers to Majorca etc....one wonders... :confused:

If you can get three guitars going in separate harmonies, then it sounds awesome, as you can imagine. Obviously you are already mastering something similar in the way you lay down vocal tracks (intro to Far Away for example).

One of the best examples I can think where multi-layered guitar harmonies work really well: The 'flamenco' driven intro to Metallica's Battery....

We find in my band that it's hard enough just trying to work two guitars doing that kind of thing! :D but we lack the years of experience that all these people are having. The fact that only one member of the band knows how these things work is also a biggie...I think I've learnt that it's fine jamming a song randomly, but to do the big complicated stuff that we aspire to you really gotta know the music theory too. Gotta know the rules before you can go breaking and bending them, ne?

Gotta tell you guys this...I got hold of Eddie's Archive today! :D IT IS FINALLY MINE!!!! Listened to the first half of it so far...man, these recordings are incredible! Don't matter that some songs are repeated up to five times, they really come out well here. I'm just a bit pissed off that my CD2 came pre-scratched, so that Moonchild is totally unlistenable :mad: otherwise everything's fantastic. The family tree looks gorgeous and the shot glass has a certain class to it :cool: