The "Satanism" Thread

It would seem the irony there is lost on most, made only more ludicrous by the fact that virtually all of LaVey's "philosophy" is but a cobbed-together mix of Nietzsche, assorted Occult gobbeldygook, and verbatim plagarism from the infamous "Might Is Right" screed, which by and by was a far more entertaining read in context than LaVey's ponderous pseudo-religious nonsense. (In fairness though, to an impressionable longhaired teenage "rebel" in the 80's, who knew not Nietzsche from Nebuchadnezzar - LaVey's bombast was very impressive:p I thought for sure I knew it all then...:lol:

Agreed. Though in all fairness, I don't believe all of it is so retarded. And I think some things can be interpreted to be either retarded or useful (as base hedonism as it is usually interpreted as isn't necessarily a part of what is written.) Not that I've read much of the Satanic Bible, but just going by the "commandments."

Agreed. Though in all fairness, I don't believe all of it is so retarded. And I think some things can be interpreted to be either retarded or useful (as base hedonism as it is usually interpreted as isn't necessarily a part of what is written.) Not that I've read much of the Satanic Bible, but just going by the "commandments."

True, not entirely retarded, just re-packaged ideas that were neither particularly revolutionary(outside the Bible-belt perhaps)or original despite what LaVey stubbornly seemed to maintain until his death. Actually, some of his later writing is fairly humorous (The Devils' Notebook) in its observations of the follies of man, and to his credit, was often refreshingly devoid of the PC baloney so commonly woven throughout most modern occult-oriented works. But all in all, he was a creation of the 60's counter-culture who cynically exploited the shit out if it and the picket-fence mainstream, all at the same time...which is commendable really:cool:

It is a joke because it is done as a reaction to Christianity rather than being original, or as speed said earlier for cunt teenagers to look cool by rebelling the MTV way. Hey, rebellion has always been the hip way to go.

that's how it started but it has grown out to be more than that over the years. Most satanists these days can't be seen equal to the satanists from the 70's or 80's, times have changed and so has morals and other values

:lol: Do you get the contradictions here? Wait, I thought they were arguing how "limited" traditional religions are by creating ideas like "sins" and we should be free to do as we want. On 5, To fit in any religion you have to conform to the group and follow some rules because most of us do have some "herd" instinct within us. Not just religion, but society will create rules and values to group us. Wait! How about being non-conformist and not buying all these Satanism rules and joining them in the first place. By the way, they are clever to add some "edgy" Nietzsche philosophy in there, eh? With the celebration of the body and celebrating rebellion against Christianity and all. If you were to buy this, I guess you suffered the first sin listed here.

I said they are more like guidelines. I don't need "rules" to know what is wrong and what is not. I think anyone who has had a decent education knows what's good and bad. Even Satanists who have never heard of the "rules" as you call it, live by them because it's in their nature. They know it from their decent education of from personal experience.

I'm not familiar with the Nietzsche philosophy, can anyone please explain?

You'd do better to read it yourself - The genealogy of morals is a good place to start, although the Antichrist is probably my favourite book. Most of them are availble online, and the best translator I have found is "H.L. Mencken"...
As for his specific critisim of hedonism - he thinks it is decadant - it puts an obstacle in the way of our flourishing.