The "Satanism" Thread

amonamarth10

Nov 9, 2004
******** MODERATOR EDIT: This is the consolidated "Satanism" Thread. Please keep discussions of this topic in this thread.********

Lately I have been reading up on Satanism. I have been reading The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey and I just have a few questions:
1. Do Satanists believe in the devil? I do not and it seems that the belief is that Satan is inside of all of us. There is no physical devil or God.
2. Do Satanists believe in heaven or hell? Once again i dont believe in either of these, and I think that the belief is the same but I could use some help.

Will a member of the Church of Satan please answer my questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm not a Satanist, but I have read extensively on LaVey and his church.
And after reading & learning as much as I can about it, I'd say, ultimately, it appears to be a personal decision.

LaVey's early writings lead you to believe he wholeheartedly believed in a literal devil. However, his later works (The Devils Notebook and Satan Speaks) paint a far different picture.

Also, Michael Aquino, a former COS priest who formed a splinter church in the early 70s (the Temple of Set) claims that LaVey DID, in fact, believe in a literal devil in the Church's early days, but slowly began to change his mind (which was one of the reason's for Aquino's schism - the other being that LaVey was 'selling priesthoods').

LaVey was quoted in the 80s and early 90s as having said that there is NO true devil, that his brand of Satanism is simply an acceptance of man's carnal nature, and living life as such. He calls it "Satanism" simply because that's the term that (Western) society has given many of the positive qualities that he endoreses.

The BEST source of knowledge is Blanch Barton's "The Secret Life Of A Satanist" a biography of LaVey. It IS wrought with hyperbole though, as Barton is the mother of LaVey's son, Satan Xerxes LaVey. Anton probably wrote much of what's in this book. True or not, it's fascinating stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0922915032/qid=1121169828/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-0804532-1095107?v=glance&s=books

The kind of devil the media etc thinks of when they talk about satanists is the typical evil red guy with worns etc, or a goat like being living in a realm of fire and suffering.
I've read a bit of stuff on LaVey's stuff and his idea was different.
Much of it was to do with a persons inner-devil as you put it, everyones carnal nature.Soudmaster is right and the reason for calling it satanism is because the things he said we ok and part of the beliefs were pretty similar to what the Christian church called satanic.

Øjeblikket said:
I too question any Satanist:

What differentiates Leviathan from Lucifer, Lucifer from Satan, and Behemoth from the lot?

What's the difference between the Judeo-Christian God and the Devil? Seriously, I have a hard time seeing this so called God, as not holding at least 50% evil inclinations. Even his supposed son JEsus cried out in the garden to his rather callous and evil father. And Jesus seemed to call for a new world that would be totally different from his father's creation.

anyones. his own vision contradicts that of perpetuating a society. if a state or society were founded on his ideals, it would collapse on its own hollow framework due to the selfcentered individualism it represents. it may appeal to those seeking short term novelty and justification for their impulses, but it cannot sustain.

Silent Song said:
anyones. his own vision contradicts that of perpetuating a society. if a state or society were founded on his ideals, it would collapse on its own hollow framework due to the selfcentered individualism it represents. it may appeal to those seeking short term novelty and justification for their impulses, but it cannot sustain.

Some would argue that his view is precisely how the West - particularly America - has been living all along.

speed said:
What's the difference between the Judeo-Christian God and the Devil? Seriously, I have a hard time seeing this so called God, as not holding at least 50% evil inclinations. Even his supposed son JEsus cried out in the garden to his rather callous and evil father. And Jesus seemed to call for a new world that would be totally different from his father's creation.

I think you might be approaching the topic of your inquiry from an adverse perspective if your intentions are truly the elucidation of the distinctions of the characters: God and Devil. Chin up, come again sport.

Paganism is not dead and we don't even need to reconstruct it. It never really died. It survived underground, in Norway and in other corners of Europe too. Like the Sun rises in the East, every morning, Paganism will rise again. The European light will inevitably banish the Asian darkness we know as Judeo-Christianity, and the pure amongst us will find the runes (id est secrets) of Óðinn. - but only if they choose to walk on the overgrown paths of our forefathers. -- Varg Vikernes, '05

Please tell Varg his metaphor is cliche and lacky, and his championed longevity is evidenced as contradistinction to his restricted temporality.

I read part of the Satanic Bible by Lavey, some of it made sense, but I dont really see it as a religion, or see it as being practised. After I read it I just thought "ok thats pretty interesting" but then I was done with it. I didn't see the advantage to satanism, or how it would hold my interest for very long and become a way of life for me.

MasterOLightning said:
You can look at the Judeo-Christian construction of Satan, or you can see it as an archetype. I think most Satanists would say they interpret Satan as an archetype.
I think this is probably most correct.

Their is really two different classes of Satanism, your more philosophy inclined satanist who follows a Church of Satan routine or another similar philiosophy which denies christianity and promotes individualism (such as Ihsahn of Emperor) and instead of seeing as a entity with goat horns and a pointy tail, they see it as a dark force which surrounds us through life, your more traditional satanist is one who is more or less a devil worshipper, and believes in the christian 'vision' of satan, alot of 'satanic' bands tend to go this way, such as Glen Benton from Deicide, and alot of the satanists from the early black metal scene.

I agree with the above.
There are two kinds really, i'd say the first mentioned is the way i would see Satanism. It's sort of a way of expressing your own individualism and not being concerned with the more "look out for each other" teachings of christianity.
I think the older "devil with horns" type satanism is the one that the media perceives as commonplace in metal.

I am not a Satanist [I am a Pagan], but I know people who are, and I've read up a little on the teachings of LaVey.

1. Do Satanists believe in the devil? I do not and it seems that the belief is that Satan is inside of all of us. There is no physical devil or God.

Yes and no, and it depends on which form you're talking about. There are cult-like organisations that worship Satan or Lucifer as a diety, and others that believe that Satan is a symbol for indulgence and self-fulfillment. According to some, "Satan" is the name Christians associate with human nature and carnal desires, and Satanists believe that they worship themselves by seeking pleasure for themselves in their lives.
Simply put, Satanists worship themselves, and believe in no physical god of devil.

2. Do Satanists believe in heaven or hell? Once again i dont believe in either of these, and I think that the belief is the same but I could use some help.

Most don't. Because Satanists believe that humans are just another species of animal with no soul, a Heaven or Hell would be no use in this case.

ZmrazenyVlk said:
Simply put, Satanists worship themselves, and believe in no physical god of devil.

Satanists believe that humans are just another species of animal with no soul, a Heaven or Hell would be no use in this case.

Wow, so in the end Satanism is just a fancy version of hedonism? How unexciting.

That said, the worshippers of a literal Satan as a deity that you mentioned sound even dumber than christians.