The "Satanism" Thread

If I remember well in "Lords of chaos" there were interviews with Garm and Ihsahn concerning their philosophical/religious views as intelligent satanists as they were named by the author.

"Satan is a name for the dark energies and is symbolically personified for practical reasons due to association. I believe the energies can be visualised by the mind as its true nature can not be channeled through mortal sences. It is only a personal theory and I will not bother to go on about it for ages."

smth like that (that's from elsewhere not LoC an Ihsahn interview)

Planetary Eulogy said:
Satanism and Judaism are one and the same.

i would think he is referring to the great emphasis Jews put on material earthly things such as money, science etc that were in the past the realm of everyones favorite immortal entity: Satan. of course Judaism as a religion and Jews in practice are two different things.

I will say if Satan represents animalistic pleasure, and our earthly desires, then shit, he has already won the hearts of every Westerner. God and his divine free will are pathetic when placed next to Satan and the ever so real and tangible moments of orgasm etc.

speed said:
i would think he is referring to the great emphasis Jews put on material earthly things such as money, science etc that were in the past the realm of everyones favorite immortal entity: Satan. of course Judaism as a religion and Jews in practice are two different things.

I will say if Satan represents animalistic pleasure, and our earthly desires, then shit, he has already won the hearts of every Westerner. God and his divine free will are pathetic when placed next to Satan and the ever so real and tangible moments of orgasm etc.
where i bolded above gave rise to my questioning of his statement, since he said 'ism', which implies the religion itself and not those who claim to follow.

as for the second paragraph, i cannot but sadly agree. and not just the West, but hereso the most. its inhabitants have invited the trivial treasures of this world to enslave them, craving that which is newer, better, or shinier. they become slaves to their appliances, toiling day after day to repair x or buy z, never realizing that they can be content without such things, giving new truth to the expression 'less is more'.

I think we've had this thread before...

It basically comes down to whether you're talking about traditional Satanism, or LaVeyan Satanism.

Traditional Satanism is silly because it reaffirms the Judeo-Christian belief system. Nothing more than childish rebellion. This is why black metal shifted over to pagan and viking themes.

LaVeyan Satanism doesn't have much credibility because the Church of Satan is just a moneymaking scam. LaVey had some interesting things to say, and I enjoy some of his writings, but I can't take it seriously as a religion, and whether it's a good philosophy or not is up to the reader.

Tend to agree ^

It's just an easy route for idiots who hate the judeo-christian religions and cannot formulate a proper path around then in which to live their lives - so they rebel and absorb much of this bullshit.

Well, I have defined myself as a "Laveyan" Satanist off and on throughtout the course of my life.But I have discarded the label recently in favor of the broader term LEFT HAND PATH.I know of few people who can honestly say that they are just "Satanists" and even fewer who could say that reducing the sum of who and what you are in the grand scheme of things to a one dimensional philosophy really fulfills the noble goals of free thought and individuation that Satanism is supposed to represent in the first place.I think most people could feel quite comfortable with calling themselves SATANIC
(LUCIFERIC for me) but to be nothing more than a Baohomet badge wearer is short changing yourself-IMHO.

But to those who have chosen this path, I still say good on ya! At least it is the right (Or should I say LEFT) path to be on.;)

I have an e-friend who is a Luciferian and a Thelemite. I find it to be kind of silly, but oh well. To each his own.

Satanism, to me, is an enigma. I've recently come to the conclusion that it stems from no real worship of a devil figure, but just a culmination of various supernatural beliefs that were deemed blasphamous during the middle ages. I think the Catholic Church created the idea of Satan during that period in time when they hated anybody who didn't fit into their what would be now fascist system of Worship of Christ.

In other words, I don't care. As long as they'll let me be, and not force me to do anything I don't want to, I'll leave them alone. Maybe an occasional joke here and there, but nothing too serious.

MasterOLightning said:
Traditional Satanism is silly because it reaffirms the Judeo-Christian belief system.

LaVeyan Satanism doesn't have much credibility because the Church of Satan is just a moneymaking scam.

As with Nihilism, Satanism is misinterpreted. Occultism, or the knowledge of esoteric truth, is valid. "Satanism" is a crowd-pleaser for people who want to construct a self-image as removed from the mass. Yet they go the opposite way of that direction...

infoterror said:
"Satanism" is a crowd-pleaser for people who want to construct a self-image as removed from the mass. Yet they go the opposite way of that direction...

Agreed.

People seem to be so hung up on the idea of an ego-identity rooted in external validation.I am coming to the opinion that to simply "Be" without qualifiers is the single greatest act of rebellion.

MasterOLightning said:
LaVeyan Satanism doesn't have much credibility because the Church of Satan is just a moneymaking scam. LaVey had some interesting things to say, and I enjoy some of his writings, but I can't take it seriously as a religion, and whether it's a good philosophy or not is up to the reader.
This looks really similar to Scientology in that it is nothing more than a scam. The difference is that Lavey was nothing more than a scam artist. I think it's petty sad that so very few people remember that L. Ron Hubbard was one of (if not the) most prolific sci-fi writers of all time in terms of the actual number of seperate pieces of sci-fi fiction that he wrote. Lavey wasn't a sci-fi writer at all so he didn't have the imagination nessaccary to create something as fantastical and elaborate as Scientology (which probably just started out as a religion for some of his fictional characters to believe in). Lavey just decided to worship "the thing that people are supposed to hate" and to write "The Satanic Bible" he must have spent for ever studying "The Holy Bible" just to make it look legit enough to get it published where as L. Ron Hubbard's religion was pure imagination.

MasterOLightning said:
Traditional Satanism is silly because it reaffirms the Judeo-Christian belief system
Reafirming the Judeo-Christian belief system is "silly" because the Judeo-Christian belief system is nothing more than a coping mechanism for death

"why oh why was that altruistic person slaughtered by that evil malicious person?" "Oh it's okay the altruistic person will be rewarded for his altruism in the afterlife" "Oh it's okay the evil malicious killer person will be punished for his malicious evilness in the afterlife" Leviticus was just health and sanitation the rest of the "Old Testament" is just history that might not have even been acurate and believing that Jesus of Nazereth was anything other than a man is really just childish like believing in Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny

ACIDBATHER said:
People seem to be so hung up on the idea of an ego-identity rooted in external validation.I am coming to the opinion that to simply "Be" without qualifiers is the single greatest act of rebellion.

Or perhaps to simply accept reality is! -- reality, after all, is the final taboo for most of humanity (the Crowd).