Questions aimed at Satanists

UnapologeticallyMetal

New Metal Member
Sep 9, 2016
Before I impose my interrogative, I just want to mention that I am not well versed in Satanism as it is a subject I haven't really studied and that I might be incorrect several times in my post, in which case I wouldn't mind people correcting me but please remember that I want to make this an intellegent discussion, not a brawl of theistic fundamentals and I do not mean to attack Satanism in any way despite my personal beliefs. I also know there are various types of Satanism, so if i mix stuff up I don't mean to offend.

Ok, first off I myself am Christian, however I am not against Satanism because as part of my own philosophy, I don't find Lucifer to be the sole antagonist of God, given that satan means "enemy" in general which I enterpret as anything that is an enemy of God and Man, including mankind itself. I would go as far as saying that mankind is a form of satan in its own way.

Now disregarding my personal beliefs, the question I wanted to ask is rather simple: why is it called Satanism? It seems like a weird name because, given that satan means enemy, wouldn't the name imply you worship an enemy? Why not just include Satanism in Luciferianism? Hopefully someone will answer the question(s) and we'll be able to discuss this peacefully.

So, your main question seems to be why LaVeyan or atheistic Satanism is designated as Satanism. Well, Anton LaVey was an egoist philosopher who believed in the exultation, worship, and prioritization of the self above all else. He believed thusly, to do so, humans needed to accept their "baseness", and natural, primal urges, like sex drive, desire of power, money, or fame, etc. and if possible take delight in them. The part of calling it Satanism comes from LaVey's interpretation of the character of Lucifer/The Devil in the Bible as a metaphorical embodiment of these instincts in their most unadulterated, liberated form. Hence, he christened it Satanism, in the sense that one should aspire to strengthen and empower the self, and embrace these urges/instincts, and by metaphorical proxy, aspire to be like Satan/The Devil. As opposed to Luciferianism, which outright worships a literal, metaphysical being known as Satan, Lucifer, or The Devil. In simple terms, Satanism, or rather more precisely, LaVeyan/atheistic Satanism uses The Devil as a metaphorical role model for self-worship, whereas Luciferianism is theological worship of The Devil. Hopefully that clears up some of your quandaries.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Satanism (an atheist-cult philosophy) worships 'the self' as the enemy of 'the rest' ie, rebellion against God often in favour of hedonism, God in this case = obedience, order, abstinence etc.

They adopted the term 'Satan' to represent their ideology as a form of rebellion.

Luciferianism (a theistic cult) on the other hand worships the actual character, Lucifer.

Satanism (an atheist-cult philosophy) worships 'the self' as the enemy of 'the rest' ie, rebellion against God often in favour of hedonism, God in this case = obedience, order, abstinence etc.

They adopted the term 'Satan' to represent their ideology as a form of rebellion.

Luciferianism (a theistic cult) on the other hand worships the actual character, Lucifer.
Pretty much.

I personally wouldn’t choose to be a part of LeVan Satanism but I do think some and how of what it does is brilliant. Some religious people just deserve to be mocked.

You should also include TST (the satanic temple) , which is basically a group of atheists like my self that want equal representation of atheism just like all the other religions receive in this country.