Satanism in Metal

Simple answer and non-metal listener obvious perspective: Because rebellion is cooler than "worship" of a benevolent being

Real reason: Because rebellion is cooler than "worship" of a benevolent being

Satanism is not about worshipping satan or raping and killing black cats. Burning churches is not a proof that you are a pure satanist.

Adolescent satanism died in the 80's, well and truly.

This orthodox BM shit is the new trend. "Intelligent" satanism for the masses. Oh, how my elite bones do tremble at the thought!

el barto said:
I had a feeling you would know, any well known examples?
Out of curiosity of all the bands with satanic lyrics how many are actually practising satanism as a religion. The only ones I can think of are dissection,watain,enthroned cant think of too many others that actually treat it a serious religion as opposed to a publicity stunt

Funny shit, precisely now i'm doing a paper on satanism. Anyway, to answer your question:

Deathspell Omega (probably the premier example of satanism in metal)
Watain
Kult Ov Azazel
Dissection

DEICIDE2.JPG

Anyone find it funny jesus is in a satanic metal band ?. what the hell

The Greys said:
Anyone find it funny jesus is in a satanic metal band ?. what the hell

As I remember, there are plenty of people who have been names "Jesus". I suppose it is amusing, although it didn't really elicit any reaction from me.

(M)aggoT said:
Satanism is not about worshipping satan or raping and killing black cats. Burning churches is not a proof that you are a pure satanist.

yeah, but it sure helps

I read the lyrics to Black Sabbath's "After Forever" for the first time the other day and I was a little shocked to find out that the band credited with starting heavy metal were Christians. After thinking about it more, I don't find it so strange...but at the time I had absolutely no idea Sabbath were Christians. I really can't think of any many (if any) other openly Christian metal bands that I like.

Perdition's Light said:
I read the lyrics to Black Sabbath's "After Forever" for the first time the other day and I was a little shocked to find out that the band credited with starting heavy metal were Christians. After thinking about it more, I don't find it so strange...but at the time I had absolutely no idea Sabbath were Christians. I really can't think of any many (if any) other openly Christian metal bands that I like.

do you like Trouble?

Demon Hunter sucks. There is plenty of good Christian metal out there, but just like with the secular scene, sometimes you have to dig for it.

And yes, Satanism in metal is very very very overused. I love intelligent lyrics, it doesn't matter if they're dark or not, but the whole "rape the son of God" kinda shit is incredibly moronic and cliche. Bands like Deathspell Omega are perfectly fine to me, although I'd prefer the more "vague" stuff like Death, cuz it kinda has a quality where it can relate to anyone.

Perdition's Light said:
Alright, there's one. There's probably a couple more but I doubt it exceeds five.

A lot of Doom Metal bands are Christian. Black Sabbath, Trouble (obviously), Saint Vitus, Pentagram, Place Of Skulls, Victor Griffin's solo band, etc.