The Shoegaze Thread

Hubster

Oct 29, 2003
Bondi Australia
Well, I couldn't find a Shoegaze thread on here, so here we are :), we finally have one.

I've been a fan of the genre since '91 (yes, I am an old fart).

Currently I'm blowing chunks all over the first Swervedriver record Raise, although I do find Mezcal Head a better album overall.

swervedriverraise6ev.jpg

Fave bands:

- Ride
- Swervedriver
- My Bloody Valentine
- Catherine Wheel
- Slowdive

One thing I should mention is that I'm finding the current "trend" of shoegaze in Black Metal a total farce (don't know if anyone agrees). I don't find much in the way of the both to be correctly fused yet, although Alcest is a step in the right direction.

Discuss your love of this gorgeous music: that beautiful jangly Fender sound, the thick wall of psychedelia and murmuring vocals.

Facebook Shoegaze group
Interesting article on Nu-gaze, including some acidic words from Alan McGee
Shoegaze forum (UK)
Great article on the history of Shoegaze

My Bloody Valentine, spacemen 3 & M83 are my favorites.
Everyone should check out MBV though. Loveless is just an awesome album! Definitely in my top 20 albums of all time list.

Saw MBV in June, sooo good. Slowdive are great too.
They aren't entirely shoegaze but The Angelic Process are by far one of my favourite bands.

Airiel my men, firggin' Airiel.

and I'll probably get shit for this, but I love Amusement Parks on Fire.

I never really got into the original big shoegaze bands like MBV or Slowdive.

Has anyone checked out the new release by Magnetic Morning yet? (Swervedriver singer/guitarist Adam Franklin and Interpol drummer Sam Fogarino). Not bad, but not strictly shoegaze.

Good to see Swervedriver have been touring again too.

This Empty Flow are an awesome shoegaze band, especially since they're not just strictly shoegaze, they also delve into progressive rock and ethereal.

Well MBV and Slowdive aren't very similar in the first place, but if I was to compare, I'd say Airiel has a far more melancholic tone than MBV, but at the same time it's very uplifting. As for Slowdive, Airiel have more of a indie/indie-pop element, so they're almost somewhere in between MBV and Slowdive but with a much easier listening element, you don't have to try and engage with the music too hard. Basically I find MBV and Slowdive can sound a bit tacky in a way, Ariel has a much more genuine sound, but that's a very personal experience of the bands in question.
Of course the best way to analyse is to have a listen - http://www.myspace.com/airiel (the best song on the player imo is Cinammon)

Haven't heard all that many shoegaze groups short of the more well known 90s groups like Ride, My Bloody Valentine, and Slowdive (which are pretty amazing). Would Hammock be considered shoegaze?