The Shred Thread

Curiously I didn't saw this one back in the day.

Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Tony MacAlpine

are atop of my list.

Walter Giardino
David T. Chastain
Marty Friedman
Tommy Vitterli (Tommy T. Baron)
Alex Skolnick

have incredible guitar works in bands they have played for.

Gus G
Kiko Loureiro
John Petrucci
Chris Brooks
James Murphy
Ralph Santolla
Pete Laramee
Yossi Sassi
Chris Poland
Ol Drake
Nita Strauss
Roland Grapow

also offer good guitar albums.

Yngwie Malmsteen used to be my favorite, but he fell from grace after I saw him live with the G3.

Reactions: Hawk
Oh yes, and I must add

Alex Masi
Ron Jarzombek

David T. Chastain
Alex Skolnick
Ron Jarzombek
I would include these also on my list, though I'd limit this to the first bands with vocalists they played in. Purely instrumentel stuff never appealed much to me. BTW, there's a little typo: It's Tommy Vetterli, not Vitterli.

I also love what Kai Hansen and Michael Weikath did on the first Helloween releases as well as the guitar work on Forbidden's debut.

I'd also like to mention Avatarium's Marcus Jidell, though he does much more than just shredding.

However, my overall favourite guitarists are now Midori and Miyako from Lovebites - I think I can say that there's never been a metal band whose guitar solos I've enjoyed more. (Actually, it's not just the guitar solos I enjoy, but all of their songs.) I'm a bit surprised that I seem to be the only one on this subforum who really loves them respectively the band they play in.

Reactions: Wyvern
Yngwie Malmsteen especially the Trilogy album nice blend of power metal and commercial hard rock killer guitar tone to boot

John Sykes the playing on Whitesnake 1987 was off the chain killer tone riffs

George Lynch BFTA more great riffs and songs Dokken best album imho

Curiously I didn't saw this one back in the day.

Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Tony MacAlpine

are atop of my list.

Walter Giardino
David T. Chastain
Marty Friedman
Alex Skolnick

have incredible guitar works in bands they have played for.

Gus G
Kiko Loureiro
John Petrucci
Chris Brooks
James Murphy
Ralph Santolla
Pete Laramee
Yossi Sassi
Chris Poland
Ol Drake
Nita Strauss
Roland Grapow

also offer good guitar albums.

Yngwie Malmsteen used to be my favorite, but he fell from grace after I saw him live with the G3.

I thought Yngwie was best thing about that G3 tour he clearly stole the show I bought the DVD it was great

I've always been an Accept fan, but lately I've been into Wolf Hoffmans work. His phrasing is off the charts for me. It's not just his solo stuff but the building of their songs towards the solo and then he is right back to the chords. I've been learnibg some of his songs and they are not the easiest to learn.

Reactions: Mutonium