Different shred scales!

BlindedByFear

Deserted
Dec 16, 2005
Sweden
Can someone give me some good shred scales in the vein of Jason Becker, Marty Friedman and Yngwie Malmsteen? I would be happy if you could give me tabs on them and the names.

Shred on! :headbang:

influences-Marty_Friedman.jpg

E harmonic minor is the scale Yngwie plays the most. He uses some modes in that scale... aeolin and phyrigian (sp?), I think.

Here is e harmonic minor.

---------------------------------------------------------17-19-20-23-24-
--------------------------------------------16-17-19-20-----------------
----------------------------------14-16-17------------------------------
---------------------13-14-16-17----------------------------------------
-----------12-14-15-----------------------------------------------------
-12-14-15---------------------------------------------------------------

I don't remember the notes for the modes though (I've only been taking lessons since January). Have fun.

Okay thanks i shall practice it a bit :) Hm what chords can i use when i rhytming that scale? Say if i play it as your tab shows.:headbang:

For a harmonic minor scale it is more complicated than compared to a natural major scale. There is no set chord progression (it's not major, minor, minor, major, major, etc.). You choose the 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th note from the harmonic minor scale. Let's say you choose the 3rd note of e harmonic minor - that is g. Now you play the major scale of g and choose the 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th note of that scale, and so on. I'm not exactly sure how it works beyond that, but basically you can choose whether to play a major or minor chord of the notes you choose... just play what sounds good to you.

BlindedByFear said:
Okay thanks i shall practice it a bit :) Hm what chords can i use when i rhytming that scale? Say if i play it as your tab shows.:headbang:

The E harmonic minor scale as well as most of the other scales commonly used by people like yngwie and marty generally sound the best played over E5, or just the note E. Often when the lead guitar is using these scales the rhythm guitarist is just playing a 'vamp' on E, which means the lead guitarist has a lot of notes they can choose from since they're not restricted by a chord progression.

Some good ones are the natural minor scale, the phrygian mode and of course the minor pentatonic.

BlindedByFear said:
okay thanks :loco: someone else who wanna share a shred scale? :)

Aeolian minor..... sorry I couldn't stray from the crowd.

Now sorry to be off-topic....

I do have a suggestion though...... check out some of Wolf Hoffmann's playing (former Accept guitarist.) Accept's Metal Heart or Russian Roulette is his best work. If you are interested, I suggest MH because it is over-all the better CD if you aren't overly impressed by Wolf. He plays predominantly in harmonic minor.
I realize you already have your faves and am not just trying to get you to listen to my favorite. There is a reason.... Wolf is not always a true "shredder" but a great solo writer. What seperates him is his compositional skills. He writes such fantastic solos (and riffs) so well that few can combine the skill, feeling and power he has. I only mention this because frankly, he is one of the best guitarists few people no about. If you are really starting to build those skills, I want you to be exposed to him. I am sorry to get off-topic.

Bryant

I have heard Metal Heart and The Moldau and those are two amazing songs :) I would be glad if you could inform me of some more solos by Wolf in the same vein, also which scales he commonly use. Some neoclassical?

BlindedByFear said:
I have heard Metal Heart and The Moldau and those are two amazing songs :) I would be glad if you could inform me of some more solos by Wolf in the same vein, also which scales he commonly use. Some neoclassical?

His best solos are from Metal Heart and Russian Roulette. "Too High to get it Right" is great and it is from the "Metal Heart" release. He does some great work on the low end of the fretboard on that one on part of the solo which is not very common. Wolf is really more about composition than shred, but he has enough chops to impress fans of shred.
Others I like are "Living For Tonight" and "Up to the Limit" both from Metal Heart as well.

Bryant