virtuoso guitarists

Vital Remains said:
david gilmour is an awesome guitar player. he isnt mr. technical ability but his guitar solos are great
yeah gilmour is mr. hit the right note at the right time every fucking time eheh he rules.

my favorites at the moment

allan holdsworth
John Mclaughlin
robert fripp
steve hacket in the genesis days was cool
fredrik thordental (soul niger is awesome although it reeks of holdsworths influences eheh)
jeff loomis of course

Possibly not quite metal, but Mark Tremonti is pretty good imo. And of course John Petrucci.

Suzuki and Lazaro from Vital Remains
Trey Azagthoth from Morbid Angel
Steve Vai is great
hmm...as for me they are the best

Vital Remains said:
marks solo stuff is susposed to be amazing
If he has a solo album I haven't heard it, but his new band, Alter Bridge, are f***ing awesome in my humble opinion.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention two of the best shredders in current metal: Chris Webb and Jamie Hunt from Biomechanical. If you haven't yet heard Biomech then go check them out now they rule!

If you wanna hear virtuoso guitarists outside of metal I would recommend listening to the Allman Brothers Band. Throughout their career they've had awesome guitarists. Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, etc.

Andy Timmons, Joe Satriani (didn't see anyone list Satch when browsing), Gary Moore.

Wow, some very shitty guitar players have been named...

Al Di Meola
Marc Rizzo

are good ones...

Liverslapper said:
Jeff Loomis takes the cake

no
*buckethead takes the cake away from the small nevermore man, and proceeds to eat the cake in one hand while playing the ballad of buckethead solo and giving jeff loomis a swirly simotaneously, while mike and christ ammot of arch enemy beat the hell out of him with aluminum bats. Shawn lane's ghost watches laughing histerically in his fat mans voice. Then steve vai and alexi laiho come in and proceed to feed him his own feecies.

HA.

Vital Remains said:
no
*buckethead takes the cake away from the small nevermore man, and proceeds to eat the cake in one hand while playing the ballad of buckethead solo and giving jeff loomis a swirly simotaneously, while mike and christ ammot of arch enemy beat the hell out of him with aluminum bats. Shawn lane's ghost watches laughing histerically in his fat mans voice. Then steve vai and alexi laiho come in and proceed to feed him his own feecies.

HA.

buckethead, arch enemy guys, vai and alexi are indead very good shredders, but alexi isn't imp a virtuoso guitarist, he can indead shredd like a mother.

What the hell. loomis is not a total guitar virtuoso. He plays maybe only one or two syles of music. Plus his tone totally sucks. He may be a metal virtuoso but shawn lane kicks his ass.... well kicked his ass in ever aspect.