virtuoso guitarists

Vital Remains said:
david gilmour is an awesome guitar player. he isnt mr. technical ability but his guitar solos are great

Hey thanks for agreeing with my reply. You obviously have very good taste my brother..... however, you are both right and wrong about him not being "technical." Speed is certainly not Gilmour's forte' nor is any complex right hand technique that would make a budding guitarist hold his/her mouth open in awe.
However, what Gilmour does have (as well as his bearded American brother who I forgot to mention, namely Billy Gibbons) is the ability to make any note on his guitar sound exactly the way he wants to. One don't have to play classic rock to do that shit. It fits in EVERY genre especially metal. A metal guitarist certainly need to have more speed and aggressive/technical abilities, to make their solo worthy of a great metal song, but being able to make a note sound like you want it to sound is priceless.

Bryant

Merloch said:
Wow, some very shitty guitar players have been named...

Al Di Meola
Marc Rizzo

are good ones...

Wow, someone with a shitty attitude has posted.

Di Meaola is an incredible guitarist I must say and that is a great choice.

I thank my lovely wife for this reply, as I asked for her opinion on this reply : It is not up to YOU to decide who is "good" and who is "bad." Music is an art form and even critics have different opinions.
Back to my opnion....I pay no attention to critics (professional) much less the likes of you. If you have anything positive to say, it is welcomed in my book, but I have no use in your negativity when people are making positive replies to a quality post.

Bryant

Jeff Loomis
Mike Romeo

I could list tons of more none virtuosos, but they've already all been listed for the most part.

And for those bashing on Loomis. I've probably watched hundreds of solos from virtuoso guitarists, and he takes the cake on most of them. This is incredibly true when you whitness him live. He is just so controlled, technical, and fast. Very well disciplined.

Try trying some classical or flamenco guitarist, paco pena or Andreas segovia for starters. They have more skill and ability than any modern guitarist, and it is easy to apply their technique to any form of guitar music.

You need, however, proper instruction by a qualified teacher, simply listening to the music only matures your musical background, the techniques of proper guitar are difficult to master, however will lead to being a greater guitarist than all of your shitty punk ass thrashers.

Vital Remains said:
Vah halen? he is in no way a virtuoso. even that song he played on the classical guitar wasnt that technical. Jason Becker on the other hand makes the list.
Well if you listen to most of his early recordings its not that technically advanced but his live playing is quite impressive. Hes not really the fastest player out their but I think hes one of the greatest innovators.

Vital Remains said:
Vah halen? he is in no way a virtuoso. even that song he played on the classical guitar wasnt that technical. Jason Becker on the other hand makes the list.

Eddie Van Halen OWNED electric guitar until Yngwie became known. If you don't like his style, that is fine but his contribution to modern guitar is immeasurable.

Having said that, Wolf Hoffmann pretty much was the guy no one knew about who had the perfect combination of style, technical ability, riffage and playing in context to the song that I have ever heard.

Bryant

Well, you could check out some jazz guitarists. Granted it's not the in your face virtuoso playing, so much as it's absolute mastery...

Django Reinhardt is beyond amazing... and he only has two fingers on his LH.
Wes Montgomery has some sick moments too...

For some classical mastery you could check out Andrew York. His tunes are beyond happy, but they're probably the toughest shit I've ever heard on one guitar.

Again, petrucci, romeo, malmsteen, and vai. My favorites.

Towards the van halen thing: I thought he didnt even read music? correct me if I'm wrong, but usually to be a virtuoso you have to read music. I may be wrong, but that was always my perception because his stuff was always not hard and simple. In my opinion, of course.