The Songwriting Thread

You can't force this kind of stuff. You must let it flow natuarally. Just step aside and let nature take it's course.

My advice to you is if you get too frustrated back off the song for a day or two and come back to it later with a refreshed mind. This usually helps with coming up with fresh riffs and ideas. Sometimes when I write I watch a movie that influences me ,or I think up a concept or movie in my head and write the music to it.

How often do you guys think that riffs are automatically good, and kind of don't "listen" to them when playing them, and then you record it, and you realize it sucks balls??? I hope this doesnt happen to me too often, but it has a few times, and its kind of disappointing.

I want to leave this pure riffs writing, and to see more a whole song. When I was younger I always wrote a huge amount of good riffs and patched them together to a song, but this is not what a good song should be. So, I try the more symphonic way in the future.

This forums needs some fresh air, well, Ill give you guys an update on some of what I have been doing. I found a great second guitarist, and he plays the violin as well, which will add a whole new dimension to my compositions. Im very excited, we are going to rehearse som songs between just me and him tomorrow, and he is into prog and classic rock, so this should definitely be interesting. Im also going to introduce him to some Rush, especially since I happened to pick up an original version of 2112 at the store for 6$USD the other day. Id love to hear Dan cover the song Tears.......

Alrighty, I've got an important question. Does anyone here know of a good way to program drums? I know it can be done, just don't know how. It's important since I just finished a few tracks and some drums would really make them feel more alive. I've got cool edit pro, and an acoustica mp3 mixer program as well. I could probably dl cool edit 2 if needed. Point me in the right direction!! Thanks in advance.

If you haven't recordedd the rest of your instruments with a click (metronome) you'll have to re-record them to get them in sync with the drums you add.

Some drum-editors

- Redrum in Reason 2.5 (a big program, but it has a lot of nice features)
- Fruity Loops (easy to use, nice sound, but lack some features)
- Sonar Cakewalk (no nothing about this bastard, could be nice)

Usually when I have some great riffs but can't get a context I usually leave it alone and come back to it later. I like to play a trick on my mind, where I think i'm gonna come up with a new song, and then when I get the new first riff thats good, I tell myself that now this riff will replace the empty spot where I need to add to my song I left alone. It seems to work, I just fine tune the new riff to atone it to the song I was having a problem in and then bam, i'm on to a new section.

I have Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and the drum programming you can do is probably not the absolute best but I still think its great, I usually do the drums first to set the drums tempo THEN take my song and play it over the drums that way I dont have to reconfigure the tempo of the drums to fit my guitars and vocals. :Smokin:

Crimson Damnation said:
Usually when I have some great riffs but can't get a context I usually leave it alone and come back to it later. I like to play a trick on my mind, where I think i'm gonna come up with a new song, and then when I get the new first riff thats good, I tell myself that now this riff will replace the empty spot where I need to add to my song I left alone. It seems to work, I just fine tune the new riff to atone it to the song I was having a problem in and then bam, i'm on to a new section.

I have Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and the drum programming you can do is probably not the absolute best but I still think its great, I usually do the drums first to set the drums tempo THEN take my song and play it over the drums that way I dont have to reconfigure the tempo of the drums to fit my guitars and vocals. :Smokin:

Sounds like a plan, since I'd have to record over the click track again first anyway. I'm trying to download reason right now, and I might try out frooty loops too.