Songwriting

G

GheddyRome

Hi people!
I am a bassplayer and I have a band. I have many ideas ( riffs, chord progressions, etc ) for new songs but .. But I think it's very difficult to link all together.
Any suggestion for songwriting? Do You start from a little core then you build the structure around? Or what?
Any procedure to build a song? ( Having the right riffs, of course! )

I hope this thread is a good point of discussion!
Good playing!

Ghed

GheddyRome said:
Hi people!
I am a bassplayer and I have a band. I have many ideas ( riffs, chord progressions, etc ) for new songs but .. But I think it's very difficult to link all together.
Any suggestion for songwriting? Do You start from a little core then you build the structure around? Or what?
Any procedure to build a song? ( Having the right riffs, of course! )

I hope this thread is a good point of discussion!
Good playing!

Ghed

Study little bit the structures you want Main, Verse, Chorus, Main, Chorus Bridge, Main, Verse, Chorus, Outro etc...
In the beginning a simple song would be best. Do some five riffs, one main (verse), one pre-chorus, one chorus and two bridge... Then put them together with rock´n roll structure and thats it...
All you need is just doing those songs and some day those would maybe be even good ones (just like mine :D )

Rock´n´Roll structure (example):
Main riff (4 times)
Main riff (4 times) as Verse
Chorus (4 times)
Chorus (4 times)
Bridge Riffs
Main Riff (4 times)
Chorus (8 times)

I try to work with atmospheres/emotions, when I write something, I want it to have a certain storyline with emotions. I try to explain to the guitar player whatever direction I want to go to. Just by saying what chords, playing style etc..

I hate songs without progression (one of the things I don't like about Anathema, their songs seem to go to a climax that never comes...).

Anyway, when I come up with complete things, it's usually either Pain of Salvation style (lot's of lines, lot of emotion, open space for vocals) or Opeth-like, where the clean parts make you feel the happiness, relief or positive emotion and the heavy parts can make you feel real bad :)

Poets? ok... Try following the Rhapsody lesson: Play D&D, pretend you are an Elf or something, drink some Ale and transcribe your "adventures" with your friends as a song. Maybe it works for Death Metal too! Hmmmmmmmm...

SanderThomas said:
Usually I have more problems writing the lyrics... Any lyricwriters here? Poets maybe? :loco:

I have managed to do only two cool lyrics to my song. Those are about necrophiles, psycho killers and cannibals (so wery stupid lyrics). And about uncle Franks :loco:
I hate doing lyrics. Well sometimes it´s fun, but usually I hate it...

I am a guitar player so maybe it is different, but I can't see it being too different. When I write, I know this is going to sound fucking cheesy, I just let it flow, I start playing and when I come up with a riff I like, I fuck around with it until I am happy with it, then I will just play off that for hours writing new riffs to go with it. Usually I will get a song halfway done before I run dry(usually about 4 to 6 different riffs) and then I will go and do something else, like read, or play B-ball or write. In a couple days I will do the same thing, write half a song, I repeat this process so I have a lot of ideas and songs just floating out there, I do this until I play something that reminds me in some way of another song I almost have finished, then I will put them together and Bam! I have another song, it has sometimes taken me years to write a complete song. When I do I bring it to the band and it changes again as everybody puts in their own ideas. When the basic structure and riffs are together, I embellish the whole thing, adding harmonies, and melodies and solos and whatever I think the song needs, this process is ongoing because I can always come up with something new for a song, even if it has been played in our band for years, songs I wrote three years ago are different now because as I got better and better at what I do I would add something. So now I have monstrosities of metal and our other guitar player just quit :yell: I have an Idea though, I want to have our bass player play the main riff harmonies to pitch, like it is a second guitar, i hope it works, I am the last guitarist standing, we had three, my mentor and teacher Johnny Fingers recently moved back to Cali, and on some (read: most) of our songs we had three riffs going on at the same time, so when he left I incorporated my riffs and his, I know what everyone plays anyways so it wasn't that hard, but doing three guitar parts with just me and a bass player, now that is going to be a challenge, I am looking foward too it.