The Sound of Silence

PoisnGodMachine

SacredSerenity
Jul 22, 2001
Ohio
Visit site
anyone know what the song's about? the message in the lyrics? just wondering because my brother's in a music class(they just talk about music...that's gotta be great heh) at school and that was the topic the other day, and he was asking me and my dad if we knew

he told us what the teacher said it was about, and it makes sense...i'd never thought of that...i'll share it later but i wanted to see what other ideas were

I think I read once where the song was about how people don't know how to communicate with each other. Therefore, it's hard to have true love without comminication. So there are many people who don't love each other because they can't communicate - called "The Sounds of Silence".

yeah, those are all good ideas

the teacher's opinion(i'm guessing it was his opinion, unless paul simon has actually said what it was about before)...was that it was about tv, like a warning against television or something, i don't remember specifically what he said...

but some lines really fit like "When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light"
and "And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made"

and the sound of silence was that of families all sitting around the tv...not talking with each other etc

but yeah i like the communication idea...i don't know if simon has ever said what it was about

Originally posted by PoisnGodMachine
yeah, those are all good ideas

the teacher's opinion(i'm guessing it was his opinion, unless paul simon has actually said what it was about before)...was that it was about tv, like a warning against television or something, i don't remember specifically what he said...

but some lines really fit like "When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light"
and "And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made"

and the sound of silence was that of families all sitting around the tv...not talking with each other etc

but yeah i like the communication idea...i don't know if simon has ever said what it was about

I looked into my thoughts a little more - it was from an Art Garfunkle quote. That's right from the source.