The state of metal 2005!

Hawk

Henri Serton
Staff member
Aug 31, 2001
Eindhoven; Rockcity!
Ok so we are approaching the end of the year. I would like to know how you experienced this years state of metal

Has it become worse than it was or are things improving? Can you tell us why?
What are your expectations for next year and what are you looking forward to?

I'll be looking forward to read your opinions and I'll "jump into the fire" later.

Sorry if I sound like some high school teacher. But then again that what I am :D

NP: Ohm - Amino Acid Flashback

In my opinion this was a great year compared to 2004. Not only I got more and better music in general terms, I also see more action with my comrades in arms, both PP and KIT show that metal is undoubtedly alive.

I believe metal far from being dead (no matter what the media and musical industry tries to show) is coming on stronger despise rap, hip-hop, pop, mallcore, techno, etc.
I also feel that metal is no longer the bastrad/accursed genre is used to be during the 80's-90's. I believe that despise some narrow-minded bands and fans (which keep trying to give a bad image) metal is gaining respectability.

I got dissapointed a bit with some old heavy-weights (Deep Purple, Helloween, Judas Priest) and got absolutely delighted with some newer (and not so old bands) bands like Highland Glory, Masterplan, Hammerfall, Cathedral, Candlemass as examples

So from my viewpoint 2005 has been (still is until Dec 31) a great year for metal.

I don't jump out and buy new stuff like I used to, but my feeling is this was a good year. I saw Iced Earth, Judas Priest, Queensryche, Yngwie Malmsteen and WASP this year and they all kicked ass. Well, maybe not Queensryche so much. And maybe I saw WASP in '04 ... hell I can't remember it straight.

But it was a good year. Nevermore's was good. Opeth's too. JP too. Some other good stuff like Shadow's Fall, Arch Enemy and Yngwie's newest. Anthrax reunited. That rules.

It was a good year.

I have to be honest, and I realize I am in the minority here, but I don't feel 2005 lived up to what 2004 brought me. I say this for one reason only. Last year TWO, count them, TWO albums rocked my fucking world...sure to land on my top 10 or 20 albums of all time. This was Ayreon - The Human Equation and Orphaned Land - Mabool.

This year I can't say for sure that anything will rank that high on my list. There were alot of excellent releases in '05, just like there was in '04, but nothing quite like the two afore-mentioned masterpieces. (NOTE: I do plan on making it a point to get the new Sieges Even based on reviews from people who share very similar tastes with me. This album may be right up my alley.)

That said, I see nothing but positive for the metal world. Of course, the scene SUCKS over here in America, but I am fortunate enough to not own a radio and seldom look at MTV. I have the Internet and that allows me access to a whole different world of metal music that is likely to keep on shaking plaster and paint from my hallowed halls for years to come.

First of all, you have an influx of NEW truly old school metal bands like Astral Doors, Mob Rules, Wolf, Cage, Falconer, Icarus Witch, etc. (plus slightly older bands still jammin' like Tad Morose and Morgana Lefay)

Then you have a host of bands taking old school one step further, into the prog realms. I adore bands like Evergrey, Ayreon, Wuthering Heights, Orphaned Land, Beyond Twilight, Kamelot, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, the metal future looks bright. With labels like Inside Out and SPV continuing to sign great bands (and doing a good job of promoting and distributing), I expect all my neighbors to hate me for years to come.

THE STATE OF METAL 2005 IS GREAT! :headbang:

I think 2005 was great. Lots of great shows. But most importantly there were great releases. I loved the Opeth record, but it was kinda par for the course for them. Anyway, the highlight for me was that This Godless Endeavor came out, and while I was a fan of Nevermore previous to this release, I really think they nailed it on this one. I think it's so good in fact, that I would say it's in my metal all time top 10, seriously. Any year that a record that good comes out is a good year. It wasn't limited to them though, the good year I mean. Deep Purple's record is their best in some time. Slough Feg's record was great, oh hell, that were a bunch of stuff. I think there is good life in metal right now!

I think it's getting better every year now. I'm not going by individual releases, but by the whole scene in general. There are more and more concerts coming through, at least here in the Tampa area. I think I've been to at least a show or two every month. Just a few years ago it was probably only a few for the whole year. The crowds are bigger, especially for the older bands. I think it's still on the way up for a few more years. It's just like the mid 80's right now. More underground, but that's good. I predict it will become more popular and commercialized the next few years and then it will implode just like it did in the early 90's. It just seems to be in a 20 cycle to me. We'll see, but so far I have to say it's getting better as a whole.:cool:

The entire new millenium has seen some of metal's best ever releases. I thought it would have been hard to come close to the awesome 2004, but this year has been phenomenal! And I dont use that word lightly.

2005 has produced some AMAZING releases including new CDs from:
Opeth
Nevermore
Porcupine Tree
Candlemass
Arena
Glenn Hughes
Iommi/Hughes
November's Doom
Spock's Beard
Dream Theater
Shadow Gallery
Kamelot
Stream of Passion
Presto Ballet
an awesome new live Maiden record, etc.

The only true disappointment to my ears was Angel of Retribution.

As I see it, metal is far more 'mature' and 'free to express' itself than it was in it's glory years of the late 70s through late 80s. The lack of 'commercial limititations' is, of course, a blessing a true art can shine forth.

2006 promises to be another great year, with new releases scheduled from the following bands: Anathema, Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Slayer, Queensryche, Glenn Hughes, Madder Mortem, the Gathering, Lacuna Coil, Iron Maiden (?), Sonata Arctica, etc.

Jan. 17th- Motley Crue Reunion show at Jimmy Kimmel Live

Feb. 7th- Stripped on the Strip- featuring members of Night Ranger, Warrant, Great White, Slaughter, Winger, L.A. Guns and Alias

Feb. 19th- Queensryche- does entire Operation Mindcrime album

March 29th- Atreyu, Unearth, Norma Jean

April 2nd- Mastadon

May 8th- King Diamond, Behemoth, Nile

May 22nd- Anthrax Reunion

July 24th, GIGANTOUR, Megadeth, Nevermore, Dream Theater, Symphony X and more

August 9th - IRON MAIDENS ONLY HEADLINE USA SHOW IN DENVER
with Mastadon and Rob Zombie

August 13th- IRON MAIDEN at Ozzfest

August 19th- IRON MAIDEN inducted into Rock Walk of Fame

Sept. 15-16 SYMPHORCE makes U.S. debut at ProgPower

Sept. 21st- Dead Can Dance

Oct. 9th- Journey

Oct. 22nd- Queen w/ Paul Rodgers

Oct. 29th- Danzig, Behemoth/ Blackest of the Black tour

Nov. 14- Joe Lynn Turner

Nov. 27th- Children Of Bodom

Dec. 7th- Nevermore / Century Media Christmas Ball

I think my concerts this year, says it all!!! And if you include some of those great releases of 2005.....DAMN WHAT A GREAT YEAR FOR METAL!!!!!

Great year. I saw lotsa great concerts (JOP, Overkill, Nevermore, Anvil, Masterplan, KIT, ...)and their were tons of great releases (they will appear next month in the top 10 I guess:) . Okay, non of the weight of Ayreon, but that's to me the best release of the last decade or so, up there with the big names in metal history. I also see ALOT of young people getting into "real" metal these days, wich makes me very, very happy. Great to pass by a school and see 16 year olds running around with Motorhead shirts !! I really got the impression the nu-metal wave is all over and people are back into the real thing...

And I'm soooo happy we got a killer Belgian band again !! Viggen !!!

Image_37.jpg

Best year of metal for me. I saw INFLAMES, King Diamond, Behemoth,Yngwie and Im going to see Fear Factory, Strapping Young Lad, Darkane , and Soilwork tomorrow, also saw Shadows Fall and Killswitch Engage twice, also Overkill. I discovered Brainstorm,Dungeon, Gun Barrel, Dismember , rediscovered Annihilator, rediscovered Fear Factory as well. Discovered 1349,Gorgoroth,Galloglass,Cryonic Temple, and Wizard also. Bring on 2006 because new Inflames and new Edguy to start the year are gonna kick ass.

Great year I've seen Coc/Crowbar, Ozzfest, Black Label Society (for free!!!), Alice Cooper (won tix for that show!)My
brothers Demiricous getting signed to metal blade records(new cd one out soon!), My friend Chris rejoining the mighty The Gates Of Slumber and they
got signed to a record deal and next year they are heading back to europe
My buddy Brian who use to play in a legendary Floridian metal band called
Ancestor getting back into metal after playing in a jam band he now plays
with Indianapolis thrash masters Signs Of Decay. Had a chance to see some
shows at this great all ages venue called Club Logos where I got to see Estuary, MOD and so on. Fatal Force Fest with Macabre, Black Mass and
Columbian Death metal masters Under Threat was a blast along with the
Templars Of Doom fest at Birdys this past summer. And finally my buds Devil
To Pay getting all kinds of airplay on college radio stations worldwide! I say 2005 was a badass year for me about metal!!

2005 saw a shit-ton of fuckin awesome releases, not only in metal, but in all kinds of music. But as far as metal goes, there were killer new albums from

Meshuggah (album of the year for me!)
Opeth
Nevermore
Kayo Dot
Dark Tranquillity
Deadbird
Klimt 1918
Porcupine Tree
Pelican
Mouth of the Architect
Jesu
Swallow the Sun
Rapture
Swarm of the Lotus
and probably some more that I forgot...

I love metal music and every year stuff comes out I really dig. However, what seperates one year from another is stuff that absolutely blows me away and in 2005 only the newest Pagans Mind did that. 2005 has been good, but no better than 2004 for me.

Bryant