Favorites of 2005

Enchant - All CDs (Can´t stop listening these dudes!)
Coldplay - X&Y
Tiësto - All CDs
RUSH - R30
System of a Down - Mesmerise/Hypnotise
Live 8 - DVD
O Rappa - Acústico MTV (Brazilian Band)
Devin Townsend - Accelerated Evolution (Masterpiece from 2003)
Porcupine Tree, The Mars Volta, Muse and Björk.

Well I have a few, more than a few actually Danny.

It was a pretty good year I must say. And I probably missed a bunch of great stuff because there is sooooo much out there. But for my list? the big ones start with K,s

I usually go by what a reach for most often for the CD player. As far as personal favs :

Discs

Kamelot : The Black Halo ( A Masterpiece )
Kings X : Ogre Tones ( Its ALL about the GROOVE and the SOUL, and most of all, the SONG! This rocks!
Kino : Picture (Just incredible songwriting and musicianship, what a great disc. I love this one.
Redemption : The Fullness of Time ( Raw guts and emotion, pure power, this one kicked my ass and continues too.
Porcupine Tree : Deadwing ( Again a Masterpiece just like "In Absentia" the atmosphere and groove, with the coolest riffs make this happen, great songs!Dream Theater : Octavarium ( Don't care what anyone says they still RULE! This is a great disc, great comeback.
Riverside : Second Life Syndrome ( No one single song jumps out but it all flows and works perfectly togather, these guys are on the UP.
Dredg : Catch without Arms ( Again just great stuff, this rocks.
Coheed And Cambria - GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV, VOLUME I: FEAR THROUGH THE EYES OF MADNESS : See above, great band.

Songs

Threads, Parkers Eyes : Redemption
These Walls : Dream Theater
Honesty, Freedom : Kings X
The Haunting, Somwhere in Time : Kamelot

Looking forward to a great 2006 filled with more amazing music.

From what I see here I need to get a bunch of stuff I have not yet heard.

Ze Dan said:
Hey Ed, how about your favs for 2005 ?

your choice:

Discs

Kings X : Ogre Tones ( Its ALL about the GROOVE and the SOUL, and most of all, the SONG! This rocks!
Kino : Picture (Just incredible songwriting and musicianship, what a great disc. I love this one.
Redemption : The Fullness of Time ( Raw guts and emotion, pure power, this one kicked my ass and continues too.
Porcupine Tree : Deadwing ( Again a Masterpiece just like "In Absentia" the atmosphere and groove, with the coolest riffs make this happen, great songs!Dream Theater : Octavarium ( Don't care what anyone says they still RULE! This is a great disc, great comeback.
Riverside : Second Life Syndrome ( No one single song jumps out but it all flows and works perfectly togather, these guys are on the UP.
Coheed And Cambria - GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV, VOLUME I: FEAR THROUGH THE EYES OF MADNESS : See above, great band.

...happens to be nearly the same as mine that I posted earlier... :)

Maybe we both will like the upcoming Enchant-Album?
What do you think, Ed? Will they make it again? :)))))

hey i forgot to say something about this group, they are quite similar to POS and sounds great, they have been touring europe with them and their 2005 last cd existence is a recommend for you!!! hope you like it. happy new year 2006 for all!!!!

Hey great minds right?

Hmmm I hope we both like the new Enchant disc??? what do you mean if they make it? like if it gets made? it will in time :)

slowhand said:
your choice:

Discs

...happens to be nearly the same as mine that I posted earlier... :)

Maybe we both will like the upcoming Enchant-Album?
What do you think, Ed? Will they make it again? :)))))

Yes I need to hear it! ASAP, need to pick that and a bunch of other stuff up, Presto Ballet, most of Scotts posts, he knows great music, Jetliner, anything Ze Dan lists I always love, etc etc etc frm just about everyone who posts here, I like a very wide variety of material. Need to catch up on a bunch of new IO and Lasers Edge stuff.

The Stormbringer said:
You seem to have missed the Sieges Even disc... there can't possibly be another reason why it isn't included in your list. :D

ebass said:
Hey great minds right?

Hmmm I hope we both like the new Enchant disc??? what do you mean if they make it? like if it gets made? it will in time :)

Maybe that's due to my bad english. I thought "they make it" means "they will do a great job again".
Sorry for that, this was just a little joke or just the try. :)

I'm sure the new songs will be great!

Sieges Even- "The Art Of Navigating By The Stars" was easily the album i bought this year that i've listened to the most. hell, i'm listening to it right now. a lot of great songs on this disc, but i have to say, "Unbreakable" is my very favorite.

Biggest disappointment this year: Mark Zonder not playing on the Fates Warning dvd release: Live In Athens, it's still a great show with nick d'virgillio and mike portnoy contributing, but i was personally let down, Mark is a major drum hero for me.

ebass said:
What are your favorites, or your picks for best of 2005. I think it was a great year myself.

I agree, Ed...some great releases this year!

Here's my favorite 2005 releases:

Circus Maximus "The 1st Chapter" - This disc blew me away. Brilliant musicianship, killer vocals, tons of power, great hooks, plenty of time changes, etc to keep it interesting, and above all, GREAT SONGS. Some have accused them of being too much of a Dream Theater "clone"...the influence is clear, but they definitely have their own style. Even if they were a "clone"....who cares? The CD's AWESOME!!

Porcupine Tree "Deadwing" - Much more mellow than my other choices, but equally brilliant. "Arriving Somewhere (But Not Here)" and "The Start of Something Beautiful" are songs that MUST be played at loud volume, with the lights off and no distractions...magic stuff.

Kamelot "The Black Halo" - Easily their best CD ever. Khan has never sounded better, their songwriting is miles better than their previous discs (though I *did* like them), and their drummer has thankfully toned down his eternal double-bass pounding that ruined many of their previous songs.

John Petrucci "Suspended Animation" - Wow. Petrucci proves again why he's my "guitar god." There are certainly other players who are at least close to being as technically proficient, but none of them have Petrucci's sense of melody and SONG. This was obvious to me when JP toured with G3. Satriani and Vai were just as impressive technically (perhaps even more so), but Petrucci's were the only songs that stayed in my head well after the show (and I love Satch and Vai, too).

Stride "Imagine" - In addition to putting on a great show at ProgPower VI (up there with Conception and Circus Maximus as "best of festival"), they've also put out a rock-solid CD of great songs, awesome musicianship, and phenomenal vocals. They're also super nice guys and a lot of fun to party with after ProgPower ended. Joel Gregoire joins two lists of mine....my "favorite guitarists" list, and my "coolest guys in prog" list.

Redemption "Fullness of Time" - I had the pleasure of hearing this disc over six months before it was released, and it KILLED me that I had to wait so long to get my own copy... Hats off to Nick Van Dyk for exceeding my high expectations after Redemption's excellent debut. Ray Alder's vocals certainly helped...possibly his best performance ever.

Honorable mention to James LaBrie's "Elements of Persuasion"...this was a pleasant surprise, given that I didn't care that much for his first two solo discs. I give Matt Guillory large credit for this, since he had a bigger role in the songwriting, and he's a brilliant keyboardist, songwriter, and all around nice guy.

And in all seriousness, several Enchant discs are still in regular rotation, despite being 1-7 years old and despite the fact that I have over 1100 CDs... Can't wait for some new Enchant!

Thanks,

Craig

2005 saw several amazing releases... here's my Top 5:

Riverside - "Second Life Syndrome"
Sieges Even - "The Art of Navigating by the Stars"
Porcupine Tree - "Deadwing"
Dredg - "Catch Without Arms"
The Mars Volta - "Frances the Mute"