Rookie-of-the-year Nominations 2005

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
Okay, this thread is about this year's sudden surprises. Brand new bands that came out of the gate running, in other words. Qualifications are: 2005 has to be their debut full-length album. Previous demos and independant releases don't count.

I'll toss out three of my nominees right off the bat:

Sabaton - Primo Victoria: Damn, this is like a breath of fresh air for me. Reminds me of the days of my youth, jamming to Running Wild's Under Jolly Roger and Port Royal. Except better. Pirate Metal, aaye!

Icarus Witch - Capture the Magic: Debut EP Roses on White Lace was old-school godly, and their new album has many of the same elements. Could easily land on my top 10 for the year.

Stream of Passion: I haven't heard it yet, but the new Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon) project qualifies as a rookie band because all the band members collaborated via the internet, and most of them are newcomers to the big leagues. Only heard a couple songs, but could also easily land on my top 10.

Pantommind and Mechanical Poet (okay, 2004 rookie)...both east block bands that I think foretell a coming progmetal boom from that side of the world...
Other good new(er) bands; Lalu , Viggen, Redemption, Communic...

All of the above mentioned band would qualify. Although I like Sabaton, Pantommind and Communic the best. I have not heard the Icarus Witch album yet.

Scar Symmetry!

Circus Maximus too. For a debut it's pretty damn good. I'm waiting to see if they've already found themselves or if they're going to establish their own identity.

Communic, as many already stated :headbang:

Starbreaker, aka Tony Harnell (TNT) solo band. A great mix of melodic rock and progressive metal, fresh and catchy :)

Gjallarhorn, side project of DoomSword members, pure viking metal.

Sorry to drop a bucket of cold water but Sabaton - "Primo Victoria" is their second (third) album? OK let me explain:

Sabaton debut is a great album, "Fist For Fight" which came through Underground Symphony. After the debut they were already recording the second album "Metalizer" on the same label. Sadly US seemed to have gone before the album was released and therefore it never came out.
Instead of fighting for the recordings the band change labels and recorded "Primo Victoria" which if it's really the third album recorded is the second released. http://www.psikorp.com/www.sabaton.net/band.htm

Maybe I'm not reading it correctly, but it sounds to me like Fist for Fight was a promo album (doesn't count) and the second album never got released at all (doesn't count). If this is correct, I still say they're eligible.

NP: Metal Massacre 1

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Maybe I'm not reading it correctly, but it sounds to me like Fist for Fight was a promo album

Negative. Full album on Underground Symphony, comes in a nice digipack with pics and lyrics. Rokk got it recently, we can ask him where. I got mine couple of years ago through The End if I recall correctly (they don't have it now).

No matter what the band can say on their site no one makes a promo or demo with such quality.

carnut said:
Pantommind and Mechanical Poet (okay, 2004 rookie)...both east block bands that I think foretell a coming progmetal boom from that side of the world...
Other good new(er) bands; Lalu , Viggen, Redemption, Communic...

Mechanical Poet just broke up :(