Its that time of the year again...

Hawk

Henri Serton
Staff member
Aug 31, 2001
Eindhoven; Rockcity!
As we now have entered the last quarter of 2005 I am wondering what the highlights of the year have been for you until this moment.

So show me your 10 favorite albums and tell me what concert you liked best this year.

I would also like to know what artist/album/concert or event really took you by surprise.

My 2005 list as of 10-11-2005

01) Sieges Even - The Art Of Navigating By The Stars
02) Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
03) Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic: Calling
04) Kamelot - The Black Halo
05) Communic - Conspiracy In Mind
06) Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine
07) Redemption - The Fullness Of Time
08) Sabaton - Primo Victoria
09) Biomechanical - The Empires Of The Worlds
10) Pantommind - Shade of Fate

The Sieges Even album is not a metal album but I love it to death anyway. This is their comeback album after having been away for 8 years. I love everything about this album, the clear production, the lyrics, and the vocals.
For me this album approaches perfection.

You all know that I am a absolute Nevermore freak and this is the best album they ever released imho. Their gigs in Tilburg and Antwerp were fantastic as well. Up to this moment 2005 already has been a spectacular year for me. The comeback of Sieges Even en the release of the best Nevermore album ever. If only Symphony X would have released a strong album this year would have been perfect!

Best concert

Believe it or not but for me the best concert of 2005 was the gig I saw together with carnut of a band I had never heard of before. The band in question was the Belgian outfit "Viggen". They play high quality fast thrash and their vocalist is simply spectacular! I had to pick up my jaw from the floor several times during the concert. And this after going to concerts for almost 30 years. This guy can switch seamlessly from a deathgrunt to a Geof Tate style high scream within seconds!! I have never seen or heard anything like that.

Surprise of the year

The Viggen concert, the quality of the new Exodus album, his one kicks total butt :headbang:, and the release of a very good comeback album of Sieges Even.

I am looking forward to your choices! :wave:

Hawk said:
Nope we don't mean that Polish Black Metal band. carnut is right. They really are from Belgium

I know I was pulling your leg, I was surprised tho two bands with such a name. I insist it reminds me of veggie :loco:

I will have to post my list later since I have it back in my HD at home. Sadly I only attended one concert this year so not much to quote there: Hammerfall (and was damn good).

The Sieges Even album is not a metal album but I love it to death anyway. This is their comeback album after having been away for 8 years. I love everything about this album, the clear production, the lyrics, and the vocals.
For me this album approaches perfection.

Hawk what are these guys and do you have a link to sample some of their stuff?
I too have 3-4 records on my top 10 that aren't metal, and not even rock for that matter....

My top 10 albums of 05 (no order)

Nevermore- Godless Endeavor
Demons And Wizards- Touched By The Crimson King
Brainstorm- Liquid Monster
Savage Circus- Dreamland Manor
Kamelot- Black Halo
Dragonforce- Sonic Firestorm
Chapter V- Hammerfall
Grime vs. Grandeur- Falconer
Tyranny Of Souls- Bruce Dickinson
Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic: Calling

Best Concert

ah, a no-brainer...gigantour. i was so fuckin excited when it was announced dave would be putting together/headlining a metal tour...but the bands they got kicked ass!! symphony x, one of my favorites, rocked..nevermore, megadeth, and dream theater. i was so fuckin happy man...i happened to get pretty much the setlist i would've chose for the amount of time each of those 4 had! i got to meet SX and NM and get their autographs, awesome guys. it was a great time.

Surpirse Of The Year

well, this too has to do with gigantour. DT and MG of course threw sticks, picks, and such into the crowd. it was all over and lights came on after MG...and mike portnoy walked out from behind the stage, down infront of the barrier where i was, and handed me a drumstick. i flipped man, it was amazing!!

oh yeah, top 10

1) Pagan's Mind : Enigmatic: Calling
2) Pantommind : Shade of Faith
3) Kamelot : The Black Halo
4) Nevermore : This godless endeavour
5) Exodus : Shovel Headed Killing Machine
6) Bruce Dickinson : Tiranny of Souls
7) Masterplan : Aeronautics
8) Hellfire : Requiem for My bride
9) Allen -Lande : The Battle
10) Overkill : RelixIV

Best live gig
no doubt : 2 times Jon Oliva's Pain

Suprise of the year...Viggen live !!! (Viggen is swedish for "lightning" BTW)

Thanks for the nice comments dudes.
and yes we are Belgian, and the name hasn't got anything to do with Veggie's,
I think our name comes from when we where very drunk one evening, and our drummer was driving a Saab at the time :D

yeah, the mighty Saab Viggen !!!!!! Welcome Pol, come and check now and than, this is the greatest metal community on the web !!

mustang_viggen.gif

My top ten, so far, for 2005:

1) Opeth - Ghost Reveries
2) Glenn Hughes - Soul Mover
3) Shadow Gallery - Room V
4) Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
5) Novemebers Doom - Pale Haunt Departure
6) Iommi / Hughes - Fused
7) Candlemass - Candlemass
8) Kamelot - Black Halo
9) Bruce Dickinson - Tyranny of Souls
10) Nevermore - This Godless

There are SO (potentially) great albums yet to be released that the above is sure to change:
Stream of Passion
Depeche Mode

Top 10 of 2005 as of now

Kreator-Enemy of God
Bruce Dickinson-Tyranny of Souls
Demons and Wizards-Touched by the Crimson King
Iommi-Fused
Nevermore-This Godless Endeavour (the first time i've ever thouroughly enjoyed a Nevermore album)
Exodus-Shovelheaded Kill Machine
Overkill-ReliXIV
Gamma Ray-Majestic
Judas Priest-Angel of Retribution
Children of Bodom-Are You Dead Yet?

honorable mentions:
Rolling Stones-A Bigger Bang
Mercenary-11 Dreams
Communic-Conspiracy in Mind
Obituary-Frozen in Time

Best Concert: JUDAS PRIEST! These guys still have it! BLEW ME AWAY! AMAZING! There's a reason why i consider these guys my favorite band of all time! And i'm seeing them again with Anthrax on the 29th, i can't wait!

Biggest suprise: The new Nevermore album! I've never really cared for Nevermore, always thought they were kinda blah, but along comes their new album, and to my suprise.....GASP! I LIKE IT! What's wrong with me!?

So early? That's usually a thread for December, but the mighty Hawk is never late :loco:

Ok, so far (no order) :

Primordial - Gathering the Wilderness
Kreator - Enemy of God
Biomechanical - The Empires of the Worlds
Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Strapping Young Lad - Alien
Iommi / Hugues - Fused
Beyond Twilight - Section X
Astral Doors - Evil is Forever

Haven't heard the latest Exodus, Destruction, Manilla Road, Redemption, Symphorce, Demons & Wizards, Savage Circus releases... so my top 10 might change in a few weeks.

Best gig? Uuhh... I don't know.
Accept in Pratteln, Pain of Salvation in Lyon, Iron Maiden in Bologna, Kreator in Lyon, or Stormwarrior/Hansen, Mercenary & Manowar @ Eartshaker fest' (Germany). Sorry I can't make my mind up on this one :loco:
Hey Hawk, how can you choose before the Jag Panzer & Virgin Steele gig? :D

Surprise of the year?
Well... Priest can still release a good album :Smokin: At least to my liking. Or that has to be the Communic record, these young guys are awesome.

Top ten 2005 (as today)

1. Sabaton – “Primo Victoria”
2. Bruce Dickinson – “Tyranny Of Souls”
3. Masterplan – “Aeronautics”
4. Rata Blanca – “La Llave De La Puerta Secreta”
5. Iommi/Hughes – “Fused”
6. Allen/Lande – “The Battle”
7. Demons & Wizards – “Touched By The Crimson King”
8. Hammerfall – “Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken”
9. Alice Cooper – “Dirty Diamonds”
10. Redemption – “The Fullness Of Time”

Best concert (and only)

Hammerfall. OK, so you have to be on power metal and you have to be on this band to enjoy it...and what a coincidence I am! They basically played all that had to be played, the management of the audience was wonderful and the band is damn cheerful. So you actually enjoy the show and don't come out thinking about suicide or burning churches :devil:

Surprise

That I cannot longer see my feet standing on :cry:

My list has a lot of non-metal, but I like a lot of music. Metal is always the core of my collection, but you know....

Top Ten
1. Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Nevermore gets better and better. This one is a knockout, plain and simple. Brutal, tons of hooks, and a great mix of old and new school vibe. One of the best of the last 5 years in my opinion.
2. The Mars Volta - Francis The Mute
A big, sprawling, psychedelic, jam-band epic. I wish more bands made records like this, but then again that's what makes these guys so special.
3. Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Opeth is in a class of their own, plain and simple. They don't seem to know how to make records that aren't only good, but amazing. They are literally competing with themselves at this point. Still, I did like the above two better, so it goes third.
4. Dead Can Dance - Live in Ireland
A limited release, but fantastic. Glad to see them back in the fray. Hoping for a reunion record.
5. Sigur Ros - Takk...
An amazing band. Another great record. They sound like a glacier musicified.
6. Robert Plant - Mighty Rearranger
Robert Plant settles into his old-age and makes his best solo record (in my opion). Atmospheric and moving. Honors the past, moves into the future.
7. Slough Feg - Atavism
One of the most underated bands I know of. At thirty minutes this album is more epic in scope than a lot of records that clock in at 60.
8. Queens Of The Stoneage - Lullabies to Parilyze
Hey, I like 'em.
9. Kings of Leon - Ah Shake Heartbreak
Kind of like a modern CCR to me. No bad songs. Great chunky rock rhythms.
10. Foo Fighters - In Your Honor
Say what you will, Dave Grohl writes cool, heavy, hooky, Cheap Trick-ish stuff. The title song alone is worth the price of admission. I haven't even listened to the acoustic disc yet.

Honorable mention-
NIN - With Teeth

At this point the list could change. Mars Volta, for instance, is releasing a live album in November. Plus, maybe I'm forgetting something...Plus, it's odd to see so much major label stuff on my list to me. But hey, that was the year that was.

Best Concert-
The Mars Volta at the Greek Theatre

Biggest Surprise -
Maiden at Ozzfest - DCD Reunion (overall highlight of my musical year)

Best of 2005

In no particular order

H.I.M. - Dark Light

Hammerfall - Chapter V

Exodus - Shovelheadedkillmachine

Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine

Best concert - It's a tie between Arch Enemy at Ozzfest, and Manowar.

I haven't heard the latest from Overkill, Bruce Dickinson, Nevermore, Iommi, Demons and Wizards, and Primal Fear. These all could potentially make my list.

My 2005 list as of 10-11-2005 .... no order!

01) Symphorce - Godspeed
02) Kreator - Enemy of God
03) Overkill - RelixIV
05) Morgana Lefay - Grand Materia
06) Pro-Pain - Prophets of Doom
07) Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution
08) Brainstorm - Liquid Monster
09) Candlemass - ST
10) Demons and Wizards - Touched by the Crimson King

Best concert

This is a Big BIG Toss up! Between Progpower, Overkill and The second Into Eternity show ... I really cant pick one!

Surprise of the year
Manticora! I love this band!

Biggest Disapointment
Obituary - Frozen in Time ..... its so damn Boring!

Hawk said:
My 2005 list as of 10-11-2005

01) Sieges Even - The Art Of Navigating By The Stars
02) Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
03) Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic: Calling
05) Communic - Conspiracy In Mind
06) Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine
07) Redemption - The Fullness Of Time
08) Sabaton - Primo Victoria
09) Biomechanical - The Empires Of The Worlds
10) Pantommind - Shade of Fate

wow i just heard about Pantommind, but haven't heard the whole album yet... you listed them as #10 so i think i really have to get the CD!
what did you think of them Hawk?