It's that time of year again...

Beelzebub

Mar 22, 2003
New York City
It's after midnight EST, which means it's officially December (wow, already!) so it's not too early. What's your best of 2005? Let's not just limit it to music. Movies and books are welcome, too. At the risk of this turning into a Kamelot appreciation thread I'll be the first to say The Black Halo. Might I also mention the new Nevermore, Strapping Young Lad's Alien, and the new Candlemass.

As for books, I haven't read much released this year so I'll say New Rules by Bill Maher and Teacher Man by Frank McCourt.

Movies: Ong Bak (I know it was made in '03, it was released in the US this year) and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. There are more but I'm going to leave it open to the rest of you guys. Go!

I liked The Brothers Grimm because it was about folk lore which reminds me of some good folk metal. And of course Star Wars!

Albums: Circus Maximus - The First Chapter, Kamelot - The Black Halo, Allen/Lande - The Battle, Freak Kitchen - Organic, Pantommind - Shade of Fate, Dream Theater - Octavarium (if you don't like it, I really don't care), John Petrucci - Suspended Animation, Kiko Loureiro - No Gravity, Rebellion - Sagas of Iceland ~ The History of the Vikings volume 1, Communic - Conspiracy in Mind, Shadow Gallery - Room V (apart from the cringeworthy plot at the end: WE ENCODED THE HAX ONTO THE CD USING THE BINARY. very technical.), Symphony X Fanclub CD1 - Rarities and Demos and of course Russell Allen's Atomic Soul.

Tracks: Circus Maximus - Glory of the Empire, Venturia - The New Kingdom, MJR's Star Wars Suite, Kamelot - The Black Halo, Rebellion - Sword in the Storm.

Movies: Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Batman Begins

Circus Maximus - The First Chapter
Demons and Wizards - Crimson King
Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet?
Dream Theater - Octavarium
SX fanclub CD!

Edit: I just realized it's also been almost a year since I started my coalition against guitarist vs. threads. No one else has joined, but our membership hasn't dropped for a whole year, which is pretty sweet.

I've been trying to come up with a "best album of the year" award, but couldn't find any band deservingly enough. All my favorite bands, mostly non-prog, somewhat dissapointed me this year, or did "just ok" albums. Fracking year...

L. Knight said:
I've been trying to come up with a "best album of the year" award, but couldn't find any band deservingly enough. All my favorite bands, mostly non-prog, somewhat dissapointed me this year, or did "just ok" albums. Fracking year...

It always irritates me when people say this. Not only is it rather snobbish, it's just general rules of ranking. In the olympics for example, you never see "hmm... everyone did ok, but no one was outstanding. So despite getting the best time, you only get silver medal". That's absurd to say there is no best album of the year. Of course there is. It may not rank very high on your best of all time list, but of this year, there is one you like over the others of this year.

My list: (no particular order except for 1-3)
1)Swallow the Sun-Ghosts of Loss
2)Kreator-Enemy of God
3)God Dethroned-Lair of the White Worm
4)Naglfar-Pariah
5)Communic-Conspiracy in Mind
6)Scar Symmetry-Symmectric in Design
7)Antimatter-Planetary Confinement
8)Hypocrisy-Virus
9)Nevermore-This Godless Endeavor
10)Lord Belial-Seal of Belial

And top 3 EPs (again, no particular order)
Susperia-Devil May Care EP
Edguy-Superheros
Age of Silence-Complications

Best Albums (with ratings x.x/10 :D):

Green Carnation - The Quiet Offspring (8.7/10)
Opeth - Ghost Reveries (9.5/10) <- Wins.
Circus Maximus - The First Chapter (8.5/10)
Kamelot - The Black Halo (8.5/10)
Blind Stare - Symphony of Delusions (8.9/10)

Best Tracks:
Thy Majestie - Up to the Battle! (9/10)
Green Carnation - Purple Door, Pitch Black (9.6/10) <- Wins.
Gamma Ray - Majesty (9.2/10)
Savage Circus - Evil Eyes (9.5/10)
Bruce Dickinson - Navigate the Seas of the Sun (9.2/10)

What will probably be the best album of 2006 (except Symphony X ofc): Silent Voices - Building Up The Apathy

My best times of 2005

Albums
Everything that everyone already said.

Concerts
6/17: Queensryche and Judas Priest @ Jones Beach
7/26/05: Ozzfest @ PNC Bank Arts Center
8/23: Gigantour @ Jones Beach
9/21: Into Eternity and Stratovarius @ B.B. King's
10/25: Cream @ Madison Square Garden
11/21: Kamelot @ B.B. King's

Other Stuff
1. I discovered Prog Metal!!!!!!:headbang: :worship:
2. Some other stuff that I can't remember

The Yngster said:
I wanna see Ong Bak so bad but the blockbuster near my campus closed last year :(

Do what it takes to see it. I really liked the action in the movie. The only thing that was bad was that there was this one girl in the movie with a really, really annoying voice. Think Fran Drescher but worse. I wish whoever was rolling the film could mute it whenever she spoke so I could read the subtitles in peace.

Fran Drescher, but worse? Are we talking the East New York Jewish spoiled brat whining annoying? Because thats hard for even me, of all people to imagine.

Albums
  • Circus Maximus: First Chapter
  • Iron & Wine: Woman King
  • Russell Allen: Atomic Soul
  • Fiona Apple: Extraordinary Machine
DVD Releases
  • Macgyver seasons 1-4 (w00t!)
New Bands
  • Circus Maximus
  • Stream of Passion

Macgyver is so cool! I want to learn how to make an Atomic Bomb out of a rubber band, a paper clip and a drinking straw!!!! Okay, maybe not that, but Macgyver really is the shiznit.

Top 10

Beyond Twilight-Section X
Biomechanical-Empires of the World
Mars Volta-Frances the Mute
SYL-Alien
Kino-Picture
Frameshift-An Absence of Empathy
Sieges Even-The Art of Navigating by the Stars
Opeth-The Ghost Reveries
Freak Kitchen-Organic
Ra Duality

any of these could have made it too though

Pagan's Mind-Enigmatic:Caliing
Circus Maximus-1st Chapter
Masterplan-Aeronautics
Allen/Lande-The Battle
Russell Allen-Atomic Soul
Stream of Passion-Embrace the Storm
Redemption-The Fullness of Time
Scar Symmetry-Symmetric in Design
Soilwork-Stabbing the Drama (1st half of the album is good)
Nevermore-This Godless Endeavour
Steve Vai-Real Illusions
Presto Ballet-Peace Amongst the Ruins
Xsaviour-Caleidoscope

then there are the ones that weren't great but weren't bad by

Kings X
Place Vendome
Starbreaker
Sevendust
Spock's Beard
Kamelot
Extol