It's that time of the year again...

Kazar

SW-moderator
May 14, 2007
Well, 12 months of releases have passed: what are your favourites of 2011 (in this non-Seventh Wonder release year ;))?
Was it a year for you with a lot of good/great releases or did you have trouble making a (top 10) list?

Post your toplist - and if you like, share your thoughts about why they are in your list.

A few things have changed compared to my 'first half year list'. 'ReinXeed' is not in the final list anymore and some albums have climbed (SX) or went down a bit in the ranking (PM and CD) due to some great releases in the last few months.
Here's my 2011-list:

1. Dragonland - Under the Grey Banner (Epic, symphonic, great vocals and melodies and very diverse as well - fantastic album)
2. Theocracy - As the World Bleeds (Matt&Co have outdone themselves with this one. Power- and Progmetal combined in great songs)
3. Chaos Divine - The Human Connection (I'm not into 'cookie-monster-vocals' but the normal singing melodies are way in the majority and they are simply wonderful)
4. Symphony X - Iconoclast (Has grown immensely since its release. I'm still not digging a few choruses but Russell makes up for it big time)
5. Lost in Thought - Opus Arise (Great debut album from these English guys)
6. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (Not loving all the songs, and some of the instrumental pieces are absolutely horrible - 'Outcry' - BUT some of the songs are absolutely amazing)
7. Within Temptation - The Unforgiving (A very good rock album from my fellow Dutchmen)
8. Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstacy (More heavy metal than prog/powermetal this time but it's good nevertheless)
9. Turisas - Stand up and Fight (I love the epicness in some of the songs. 'Take the day' and 'End of an Empire' are great songs)
10. The Magnificent - S/T (Debut album from this AOR-band with Michael Eriksen. Uplifting melodies and a very entertaining album for sure)

Here's my top10-favourites (not in particular order). I listen metal in a large scale and there have been released lot of good albums this year:

Onslaught - Sounds of Violence
Beyond The Dream - In the Heart of Nothing
Battle Beast - Steel
Iced Earth - Dystopia
The Magnificent - s/t
OZ - Burning Leather
Iron Savior - The Landing
Pathfinder - Beyond The Space, Beyond The Time
Opeth - Heritage
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events

Bubbling under: Riot, Wasara, Theocracy, Random Eyes, Stargazery...

I don't make topten lists anymore, anyway I really recommend FAIR TO MIDLAND's "Arrows & Anchors". Number two: THEOCRACY's "As The World Bleeds".

Here's my top 10. I think there is a lot of cross over with some of yours.

10. Lance King - A Moment in Chiros. A solid melodic power metal concept album. No tracks really stand out, but the concept is good and the vocals are very strong.

9. Above Symmetry - Ripples. OK I kind of cheated with this CD. Above Symmetry released this album in 2010 with the band name Aspera. They were forced to change their name and rereleased it this year. Sometimes the vocals are strained, but for a bunch of young guys, their sound is very mature.

8. The Magnificent - S/T. I am a big Circus Maximus fan, so bought this album just because Michael Erikson was singing on it. His vocal work is, as ever, outstanding. He must surely be the best singer in prog/power metal (other than Tommy!). The songs are also very strong. This certainly bodes well for the new CM album (5 years between albums is far too long).

7. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events. ADToE does not compare well to Dream Theater's earlier work (Images and words or Scenes) but compares to Black Clouds or Systematic Chaos, this album is a real step in the right direction. On the Back of Angels and Bridges in the Sky are real stand out tracks.

6. Arch / Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance. There are some really great ideas on this album. Matheos provides his own brand of driving guitar riffs to Arch's unique soaring vocals. Listening to the whole album in one sitting does become a bit of a chore because John Arch's voice can be grating, but in small doses I really love this album.

5. Within Temptation - The Unforgiving. The Unforgiving marries WT's usual metal and strings/choirs with some dance grooves. This album reinvents the stagnant genre of female fronted symphonic metal. I am really looking forward to seeing what they do next.

4. Vangough - Kingdom of Ruin. This is a concept album (about Watership Down, I think - certainly something involving rabbits). There are some good tracks in the first half of the album (Drained is a particular favourite) but it tails off towards the end.

3. Symphony X - Iconoclast. This album is heavier than I would like. It also has its fair share of poor songs. However, Iconoclast and When All Is Lost are both fantastic prog metal epics and some of the more power metal songs like The End of Innocence and Electric Messiah will have you singing along and tapping your toes.

2. Lost in Thought - Opus Arise. A fantastic debut album. There are little pieces of so many other bands in this release (Dream Theater, Symphony X and Seventh Wonder must all be very strong influences), but the songs are good enough that this doesnt become a problem. If the band start to develop their own voice in their next album, they could soon by one of my favourite bands.

1. Redemption - This Mortal Coil. There is a cliche in prog metal about each album being heavier yet more melodic than the last. In the case of TMC, Redemption have actually managed a very heavy and complex album with soaring vocal melodies and great choruses. The production is also not as bad as some would have you believe.

Hmm, I'll have to check out the new Dragonland. I've heard a few of their songs, so I can't really judge them just yet.

The top release for me in 2011 was the new Pagan's Mind. I really dig that album, and I didn't really think there were a lot of standout albums in 2011.

Lots of great songs (Theocracy, Anthrax, Galneryus, Riot, Digamma, Nightwish, UneXpect) but these are the only albums i'd actually recommend:

Manigance - Recidive
Symphony X - Iconoclast
Anthem - Heraldic Device
Battle Beast - Steel (Biggest surprise!)
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events
Voyager - The Meaning Of I

Biggest Dissapointment: Hibria - Blind Ride :(

1. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events
2. Symphony X - Iconoclast

3. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

4. Redemption - This Mortal Coil

5. Trivium - In Waves

DT and SX were both great, easily my favourite, with DT being the better of the two. I was a little disappointed by Redemption, haven't gotten into the album completely even now, I don't think it's as good as their last two but still pretty good.

Best songs were DT - Breaking All Illusions and SX - When All Is Lost. Both amazing songs.

1. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turns of Events

2. Symphony X - Iconoclast

3. Opeth - Heritage

4. Stratovarius - Elysium

5. Rhapsody of Fire - From Chaos to Eternity

6. The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual

There are many other albums that came out in 2011 that I have yet to listen to yet, such as Theocracy, Sun Caged and Dragonland.

1. Christian Muenzner - Timewarp
2. Bai Bang - Livin' My Dream
3. Uriah Heep - Into The Wild
4. Voodoo Circle - Broken Heart Syndrome
5. Whitesnake - Forevermore
6. Glen Drover - Metalusion
7. Steel Panther - Balls Out
8. Julian Angel's Beautiful Beast - Adult Oriented Candy
9. Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
10. Demon's Eye - The Stranger Within
11. TNT - A Farewell To Arms
12. Stryper - The Covering
13. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events
14. Alice Cooper - Welcome 2 My Nightmare
15. HARD - Even Keel
16. Coldspell - Out From The Cold
17. Symphony X - Iconoclast
18. The Poodles - Performocracy
19. Hurtsmile - Hurtsmile
20. Sons Of Seasons - Magnisphyricon

I'm not very good with explanations why I love something, so here's just the list:

01. Sons Of Seasons - Magnisphyricon
02. Subsignal - Touchstones
03. Leprous - Bilateral
04. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events
05. Sixx A.M. - This Is Gonna Hurt
06. Journey - Eclipse
07. Chickenfoot - III
08. Haken - Visions
09. Beardfish - Mammoth
10. Stream Of Passion - Darker Days

Not mentioned in the list are The Magnificent and Theocracy. Due to delay. I just got them last week and have only started listening to Theocracy on Friday. I have a feeling both albums would have been in the competition otherwise.