THE THUNDER DOME

Some of those guys can really draw. I had a bunch of MADD here and there but I have no idea what happened to any of them. I still have my comics and Heavy Metal mags. Even some old Conan and Punisher mags.

I know I have a few MAD comics and a few Hotrod comics and even a few Trucktoons comics but nowhere near what I had. I don't know why I kept what I did, I don't know why I threw out what I did. But I do know that if I see a MAD comic lying around I have to pick it up and have a look.

Reactions: redfly
tenor.gif

... that's me in the back shaking my head.

I understand the sentiment, and in some ways agree. But I don't think realistically that a band who has made it that big especially on doing music that is very hard to make it to that level with, should quit because someone dies of drinking for too long. They have future plans and things to pay for just like everyone else. Not to mention all the people that rely on them for work.
That being said, they pretty much are stopping because Jeff died. And Tom made the call and Kerry can't stop it. They did one album and that's pretty much it. Nothing any of them do will ever equal the legacy of Slayer.
They did good and not as good albums with Jeff and I'm sure would have without him.
I know it's not the same without him, but with all the new shitty bands around we need the good ones (even damaged good ones) to stick around.
Because I don't know what I'm gonna listen to once these bands are gone! lol!

I personally don't care about band spats like that. Dave was good but acted like a twat which saw him get sacked. Since then he's had bands like Philm and now Suicidal that wouldn;t have been the way they are if he'd stayed with Slayer. Paul's not trying to replace him, just do a job he enjoys. But the whole Kerry is too money driven to care about the band, the fans or whatever else that gets fed around the internet is just horse shit as far as I'm concerned.

The whole idea of being in business is to make money and as much as you can. If Gene and Kerry can monetise what they do good luck to them, neither of them will work forever and look what happened to someone like KK who quit without fully taking into account where his money was going to come from for the rest of his life. So Gene wants his name on condoms, good luck to him for finding the market and making it work for him.

The business world shit all over Bill Gates because he did the same, yet pretty much ignored a company like Cisco who near owned the router/networking business in the professional world for nearly as long. And there is a heap of other business men successful because they knew the right product at the right time. I say good luck to those people have learnt to do it and dammit if I had the chance to take a dollar off half the people Kerry and Gene have in turn for a few people on the internet telling me I'm a dick I'd take it without question.

But I don't think realistically that a band who has made it that big especially on doing music that is very hard to make it to that level with, should quit because someone dies of drinking for too long.
I disagree with this since he's not "just someone". Especially when considering the guy was the backbone(imo) of the band and one of the founding members. If me and one of my brothers started a band together since we were16, and he died(regardless of what), i wouldn't even think about continuing that band, even if i had financial issues(which im pretty sure King doesnt). They could have easily called it quits, just like how they're supposedly going to do now. The band was a journey that they started together and should have ended together, and imo the fact that King continued with it somewhat tarnished the name of one of the greatest metal bands of all time. That band died with Jeff imo, and i would be saying the same thing even if it was Kerry that passed away. These guys are not replaceable.

And there are new thrash bands that have been putting out albums that are infinitely better than some of their recent material. Kerry King is just a selfish bastard imo, he always has been and has always been the only member of Slayer that has made me roll my eyes on numerous occasions throughout his career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slammed and redfly
I disagree with this since he's not "just someone". Especially when considering the guy was the backbone(imo) of the band and one of the founding members. If me and one of my brothers started a band together since we were16, and he died(regardless of what), i wouldn't even think about continuing that band, even if i had financial issues(which im pretty sure King doesnt). They could have easily called it quits, just like how they're supposedly going to do now. The band was a journey that they started together and should have ended together, and imo the fact that King continued with it somewhat tarnished the name of one of the greatest metal bands of all time. That band died with Jeff imo, and i would be saying the same thing even if it was Kerry that passed away. These guys are not replaceable, and that;s what Kerry did ... replace Jeff.

And there are new thrash bands that have been putting out albums that are infinitely better than some of their recent material. Kerry King is just a selfish bastard imo, he always has been and has always been the only member of Slayer that has made me roll my eyes on numerous occasions throughout his career.
But Jeff wanted them to continue didn't he? didn't he pick Gary? or least give him his blessing? I thought he did, I might be wrong. But what's the bigger insult going on without Jeff? or ignoring his wishes?
Personally I never liked the fact that Dave wasn't there. To me he was a huge part of the sound. So it's kind of subjective.
There certainly are some great new bands, but I think that there are way more shitty ones. Who's to say that if they let Gary write on a next album it wouldn't have been great? I don't know, I don't have any answers on this just opinions. I can't say you're wrong because I wasn't the hugest Slayer fan. I respect them and like a bunch of their music. But there are definitely people that like them more than I do.

I agree with Slammed on Kerry. I'm not sure what he's done to get such contempt? I've never really heard or read anything too bad. Not like I do with people like Scott Ian. I don't have much against Ian, but I get the people that do lol.

I personally don't care about band spats like that. Dave was good but acted like a twat which saw him get sacked. Since then he's had bands like Philm and now Suicidal that wouldn;t have been the way they are if he'd stayed with Slayer. Paul's not trying to replace him, just do a job he enjoys. But the whole Kerry is too money driven to care about the band, the fans or whatever else that gets fed around the internet is just horse shit as far as I'm concerned.

The whole idea of being in business is to make money and as much as you can. If Gene and Kerry can monetise what they do good luck to them, neither of them will work forever and look what happened to someone like KK who quit without fully taking into account where his money was going to come from for the rest of his life. So Gene wants his name on condoms, good luck to him for finding the market and making it work for him.

The business world shit all over Bill Gates because he did the same, yet pretty much ignored a company like Cisco who near owned the router/networking business in the professional world for nearly as long. And there is a heap of other business men successful because they knew the right product at the right time. I say good luck to those people have learnt to do it and dammit if I had the chance to take a dollar off half the people Kerry and Gene have in turn for a few people on the internet telling me I'm a dick I'd take it without question.
I agree, Dave makes every band better.
What I respect about Slayer is they got that big without watering themselves down. Slayer is still Slayer. It's not easily palatable for the masses. They can sell whatever they want as far as I'm concerned because they are doing it while staying honest to themselves.

But Jeff wanted them to continue didn't he? didn't he pick Gary? or least give him his blessing? I thought he did, I might be wrong. But what's the bigger insult going on without Jeff? or ignoring his wishes?
Personally I never liked the fact that Dave wasn't there. To me he was a huge part of the sound. So it's kind of subjective.
There certainly are some great new bands, but I think that there are way more shitty ones. Who's to say that if they let Gary write on a next album it wouldn't have been great? I don't know, I don't have any answers on this just opinions. I can't say you're wrong because I wasn't the hugest Slayer fan. I respect them and like a bunch of their music. But there are definitely people that like them more than I do.

I agree with Slammed on Kerry. I'm not sure what he's done to get such contempt? I've never really heard or read anything too bad. Not like I do with people like Scott Ian. I don't have much against Ian, but I get the people that do lol.

yea but Dave didnt write any of their songs if i remember correctly and it was basically Kerry going "hey man you're not doing too good so were just going to replace you"(which is one of the main reasons i kind of dislike him) to Jeff. I also wasn't cool with Lombardo getting fired, but a member getting fired/leaving is a completely different than one dying, especially when it's a member who has been their since day one and was one of the main contributors to their signature sound. Jeff was Slayer. And Holt was supposed to be a temporary replacement for their "last gigs" or what not. I dont think Jeff knew/or would have ever thought they would have continued releasing albums, i could be wrong though. And if it's up to Kerry, they would .. and im still not sure that he's arrogance and bigeheadedness is going to let him put the band to rest.

I personally have always thought that he was one of those attention hungry people who always trying to sell his bands name any chance he got(kind of like Ian). Always wanted to be in front of some camera or what not, while Jeff on the other hand was the exact opposite. He was just a replacement for the dying Jeff Hanneman. And no i wouldn't want Gary to write anything on any Slayer album because Slayer is not Garys band. If he had passed away i wouldn't want Jeff to join Exodus and star writing songs for them either. Also, Ian and King share similar personality traits and come off as somewhat poserish to me, by that i dont mean fake but i mean 'WHERE IS THE CAMERA SO I CAN POSE?"

all this being said they are my second favorite band of all time right behind Megadeth and right in front of Testament. So yeah, it hits home with me.

EDIT:
Asked how he landed the SLAYER gig as the replacement for the band's late guitarist Jeff Hanneman, Gary said: "Kerry [King, SLAYER guitarist] called me up. I was playing on the inaugural 70000 Tons Of Metal cruise, and a mutual friend of mine and Kerry's, my tattoo artist on almost everything, Bob Tyrell, was on the boat. And Kerry didn't wanna bug me while I was on the boat, so he texted Bob and said, 'Have Holt call me when he gets back to shore and gets actually at home.' I called him up and he explained what was going on with Jeff and asked if I wanted to help 'em out and fill in. And I said, 'Sure.' I had the time off at the time. I didn't realize it'd be a five-and-a-half-year endeavor riddled with tragedy in the middle of it. I thought it was just a two-tour thing and [I would] help 'em out until Jeff took his rightful spot back, but that didn't happen. And, unfortunately, I'm still here playing [with SLAYER], 'cause if I said 'fortunately,' that means I wish Jeff wasn't. I'd rather Jeff be here, 'cause this is Jeff's spot."

yea but Dave didnt write any of their songs if i remember correctly and it was basically Kerry going "hey man you're not doing too good so were just going to replace you"(which is one of the main reasons i kind of dislike him) to Jeff. I also wasn't cool with Lombardo getting fired, but a member getting fired/leaving is a completely different than one dying, especially when it's a member who has been their since day one and was one of the main contributors to their signature sound. Jeff was Slayer. And Holt was supposed to be a temporary replacement for their "last gigs" or what not. I dont think Jeff knew/or would have ever thought they would have continued releasing albums, i could be wrong though. And if it's up to Kerry, they would .. and im still not sure that he's arrogance and bigeheadedness is going to let him put the band to rest.

I personally have always thought that he was one of those attention hungry people who always trying to sell his bands name any chance he got(kind of like Ian). Always wanted to be in front of some camera or what not, while Jeff on the other hand was the exact opposite. He was just a replacement for the dying Jeff Hanneman. And no i wouldn't want Gary to write anything on any Slayer album because Slayer is not Garys band. If he had passed away i wouldn't want Jeff to join Exodus and star writing songs for them either. Also, Ian and King share similar personality traits and come off as somewhat poserish to me, by that i dont mean fake but i mean 'WHERE IS THE CAMERA SO I CAN POSE?"

all this being said they are my second favorite band of all time right behind Megadeth and right in front of Testament. So yeah, it hits home with me.

EDIT:
Asked how he landed the SLAYER gig as the replacement for the band's late guitarist Jeff Hanneman, Gary said: "Kerry [King, SLAYER guitarist] called me up. I was playing on the inaugural 70000 Tons Of Metal cruise, and a mutual friend of mine and Kerry's, my tattoo artist on almost everything, Bob Tyrell, was on the boat. And Kerry didn't wanna bug me while I was on the boat, so he texted Bob and said, 'Have Holt call me when he gets back to shore and gets actually at home.' I called him up and he explained what was going on with Jeff and asked if I wanted to help 'em out and fill in. And I said, 'Sure.' I had the time off at the time. I didn't realize it'd be a five-and-a-half-year endeavor riddled with tragedy in the middle of it. I thought it was just a two-tour thing and [I would] help 'em out until Jeff took his rightful spot back, but that didn't happen. And, unfortunately, I'm still here playing [with SLAYER], 'cause if I said 'fortunately,' that means I wish Jeff wasn't. I'd rather Jeff be here, 'cause this is Jeff's spot."
Like I said I'm not a die hard so I'm not really up on the song creds. I know Jeff wrote a lot of their most notable songs. But that's it. I'm more of a badass lead guitar guy so that's what kept me from really being a huge Slayer fan. When I would hear them as a young teenager it was always the drums that stuck out to me. Slayer had great riffs but the solos aren't for me. But they had a better drummer than most bands had so that's what made me really take notice of their songs.

I don't mind the whole member swapping. All those guys are from the same family as far as I'm concerned. We would have a lot less albums if only original members could play in the bands. Take Testament. My favorite, love everything, love the old stuff. but to me they got a lot better when Skolnick and Louie left. Low is a great album all the way through. I would have thought it was cool had (god forbid) something happened to Gary and Jeff played on an Exodus album. All those thrash guys know each other and are friends.

I guess I understand what you mean about Kerry. Although I wouldn't put him on the same level as Scott lol. I hate to say it but I think that a band that want's to get to a certain level has to have someone to do all the interviews and press and dumb shit. But Ian goes overboard with it. His hand is in too many cookie jars lol.

EDIT:
Oh ok, so getting Gary was all Kerry?

Take Testament. My favorite, love everything, love the old stuff. but to me they got a lot better when Skolnick and Louie left.
BLASPHEMY I SAY! BLASPHEMY! :D

The Legacy and The New Order are top 10 all time albums for me and nothing they've done has even came close to being int he same ballpark imo. Skolnick is also one of my favorite guitarists ever. And Peterson is also one of my favorite rhythm guitarist. I love the band. And yea Slayer have written some of the best riffs ever but when it comes to shredding, not even close.

BLASPHEMY I SAY! BLASPHEMY! :D

The Legacy and The New Order are top 10 all time albums for me and nothing they've done has even came close to being int he same ballpark imo. Skolnick is also one of my favorite guitarists ever. And Peterson is also one of my favorite rhythm guitarist. I love the band. And yea Slayer have written some of the best riffs ever but when it comes to shredding, not even close.
They are in my all time favs as well. Gospel really. Although I think a couple of the songs on The Legacy are rough. The solos aren't planned out as well. The New Order is perfect, except the cover song should have been last or not at all as it breaks up the flow of the album for me.
But yeah I love it all. When Alex left I was scared, I really was. I remember a friend saying "well Testament's dead". But when I heard Low I thought overall Testament upped their game. That album has so much going on.
Murphy doesn't play like Alex but his solos are badass. The drums by Tempesta were badass and Chuck's voice is killer. Eric..Eric is a fucking god. His rhythms are better than most people's solos. Love Demonic and The Gathering. I love evil Testament. Chuck sounds like he's straight outta hell on The Gathering. I think they got more intense when Alex and Louie left. and it makes sense, I read interviews for years with Eric saying Alex would take the double bass and speed out of the songs. And Louie just wasn't that great to begin with. he always struck me as Metal drummer not really Thrash Metal. But he did have his moments of awesomeness for sure.
To tell you the truth I kind of don't like Alex as much since he came back. He's repetitive now. I almost know how the solo is going to go before I've ever heard the whole thing. I think he lost a bit of his originality with his time away. I always thought of him as the David Gilmore of thrash, everything he played was tasteful and perfect but super fast. there was no one like him. That's not to say he's not still badass. But he plays a little different now. His solo on Neptune's Spear is awesome though.