THE THUNDER DOME

Because it has always been Dave's band. Would it be Megadeth if he died and somehow Ellefson continued with another guitarist and vocalist? I'm pretty sure we both know the answer to that
No that's absolutely true. But all the people he's had has changed the sound of the band with each album. If you love Peace Sells or Rust or TSHF you're not necessarily gonna love the others. I've always loved Megadeth. Another of my all time favs, but I haven't always loved all the members and how their sound changed Megadeth. Especially in the lead guitar department. and drums. Love Gar, love Nick. Had no real complaints with Chuck, didn't mind DeGrasso. Liked Adler a lot and can't wait to hear Dirk. Hate Drover, both of them. No feel and just not good enough in my opinion. Neither have any style. Al was like Friedman light, good but lacked intensity. Poland. Awesome. Marty. Awesome. Chris awesome. And I really like Kiko as well. On bass, it's gotta be Jr. Lomenzo was way better in Pride And Glory.
Am I forgetting anyone?

No that's absolutely true. But all the people he's had has changed the sound of the band with each album. If you love Peace Sells or Rust or TSHF you're not necessarily gonna love the others. I've always loved Megadeth. Another of my all time favs, but I haven't always loved all the members and how their sound changed Megadeth. Especially in the lead guitar department. and drums. Love Gar, love Nick. Had no real complaints with Chuck, didn't mind DeGrasso. Liked Adler a lot and can't wait to hear Dirk. Hate Drover, both of them. No feel and just not good enough in my opinion. Neither have any style. Al was like Friedman light, good but lacked intensity. Poland. Awesome. Marty. Awesome. Chris awesome. And I really like Kiko as well. On bass, it's gotta be Jr. Lomenzo was way better in Pride And Glory.
Am I forgetting anyone?
I love their their first album, SFSGSW! and Rust in Peace(KiMB and RIP being two of my favorite albums ever)TSHF is ok but i would never compare it to the three i mentioned, even if they're poorly trying to imitate and recapture a certain timeframe of their career than they just cant. That being said they've always had great musicians in the band(Dave has made sure of that) and outside of a few blemishes their signature sound has mostly stuck with them ever since SFSGSW!(because Dave has always been the creative force behind the band) , even with their killer mid paced stuff like Countdown and Youthanasia. I remember the first album that really sounded different was Cryptic Writings, and that was all Dave tbh, that being said i personally LOVE that album. Risk on the other hand is a steaming pile of shit, and if im not mistaken it's because Dave said he let Marty contribute a lot to the band on that album and that was the reason it turned out the way it did ...
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/da...ns-desires-to-be-more-of-an-alternative-band/

Gar, Poland, and even Behler and Jeff Young will always hold a place in my heart, but nothing imo beats their R.I.P. - Cryptic Writings lineup. And from their post Cryptic Writings albums the only ones i really enjoy are their last five, with Endgame and probably Dystopia being my favorite out of that bunch, wiht none of them bieng more than say a 3.5/5 for me.

Reactions: redfly and Slammed
btw, this is how i have their album(as much as i can fit in a screenshot) rated. And even though i love Cryptic Writings, i recognize that it's not as good as any of the albums before it. So i couldn't justify giving it the same rating as say Youthanasia and Coutndown

qeqTqAf.png

Reactions: redfly
But Jeff wanted them to continue didn't he? didn't he pick Gary? or least give him his blessing? I thought he did, I might be wrong. But what's the bigger insult going on without Jeff? or ignoring his wishes?

I don't see any problem going on without Jeff even if he wanted them to retire at time. Life is for the living as long as they don't diss the guy they still have to live. What's worse them going on without Jeff, or Tom and Kerry starting a new band and having everyone constantly blather on about how they aren't Slayer and shouldn't play covers.

all this being said they are my second favorite band of all time right behind Megadeth and right in front of Testament. So yeah, it hits home with me.

They are one of my favourite too and nearly always have been so much so that I love copping the wrath of Slayer fans when I tell them I actually liked God Hates Us All!

Take Testament. My favorite, love everything, love the old stuff. but to me they got a lot better when Skolnick and Louie left. Low is a great album all the way through. I would have thought it was cool had (god forbid) something happened to Gary and Jeff played on an Exodus album. All those thrash guys know each other and are friends.

I saw on the MI polls today that Alex Skolnick from Metal Allegiance is up for best metal guitarist. Not sure how Alex Skolnick from Testament rates though!

I guess I understand what you mean about Kerry. Although I wouldn't put him on the same level as Scott lol. I hate to say it but I think that a band that want's to get to a certain level has to have someone to do all the interviews and press and dumb shit. But Ian goes overboard with it. His hand is in too many cookie jars lol.

Well he's got his hand somewhere :)

So how do you reconcile the fact that Megadeth has had a billion members?

It's all Dave's fault, even Jeff dying and Dave Lomardo being a twat is all Dave Mustaine's fault. There is no disputing facts!!

At least Marty's rebuttle of that article was not at all dickish and did not throw crap at Dave just for the sake of it. I don't really care where the truth lays Marty saying nothing is worth more in my book than Dave and his foot in mouth diseases.

I love their their first album, SFSGSW! and Rust in Peace(KiMB and RIP being two of my favorite albums ever)TSHF is ok but i would never compare it to the three i mentioned, even if they're poorly trying to imitate and recapture a certain timeframe of their career than they just cant. That being said they've always had great musicians in the band(Dave has made sure of that) and outside of a few blemishes their signature sound has mostly stuck with them ever since SFSGSW!(because Dave has always been the creative force behind the band) , even with their killer mid paced stuff like Countdown and Youthanasia. I remember the first album that really sounded different was Cryptic Writings, and that was all Dave tbh, that being said i personally LOVE that album. Risk on the other hand is a steaming pile of shit, and if im not mistaken it's because Dave said he let Marty contribute a lot to the band on that album and that was the reason it turned out the way it did ...
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/da...ns-desires-to-be-more-of-an-alternative-band/

Gar, Poland, and even Behler and Jeff Young will always hold a place in my heart, but nothing imo beats their R.I.P. - Cryptic Writings lineup. And from their post Cryptic Writings albums the only ones i really enjoy are their last five, with Endgame and probably Dystopia being my favorite out of that bunch, wiht none of them bieng more than say a 3.5/5 for me.
I love most of Cryptic. Hate Risk. I really like Countdown and Youthanasia . I like most of Cryptic. Risk is the only Megadeth album I've never owned.
I don't believe the shit Dave is saying now about it being Marty's fault. For 20 years Dave switched between the reason for it being him asking career advice from Lars and Lars telling him he had to take more "risks" with his career or pressure from the record company. Now all of a sudden it's Marty's fault. Dave also said Marty left to play jpop which also isn't true. he made his solo albums just like always. I think he did an album re working traditional Japanese music. but that's not jpop and it was only a few years ago, not when he left.
He may have worked with some jpop people but his albums aren't, and his last two albums have been heavier than anything Megadeth had done since Rust until Dystopia came out. But before he said Marty left for jpop he said Marty left because of anxiety attacks and was crying. Dave always said it should have been a Dave Mustaine solo album. Because it was so close to him.
So everything Dave says on the subject is suspect. If you follow from Countdown through Youthanasia, Risk is the natural progression for Dave. And if it had worked he'd be saying how smart he was and taking all the cred. But thank god it didn't. Because if it had it the next album would have been even worse.

I liked TSHF a lot. Especially after the album before, which I like but it needs a bit of a kick speed wise. But I thought System sounded more like older Megadeth than a lot of stuff. Even if Jr wasn't on it. UA, I thought had great riffs and sounded the heaviest since Rust but I thought Dave's vocal delivery was lacking a little. The subject matter, the whole Jack Bower 24 and Americastan stuff was really cheesy. Maybe, in my opinion the cheesiest Dave has ever done. Drover plays the same run on every song and has no heart to me. And he butchers the live stuff that kind of goes for both Drovers to me. I'm not usually that critical of people but those guys I felt really brought nothing to the table. I think them leaving were two of the greatest things to happen to Megadeth.
I loved Young, I always say he was the best palm muter Megadeth had. And I love SFSGSW but yeah Rust is the pinnacle for me.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
It's all Dave's fault, even Jeff dying and Dave Lomardo being a twat is all Dave Mustaine's fault. There is no disputing facts!!

At least Marty's rebuttle of that article was not at all dickish and did not throw crap at Dave just for the sake of it. I don't really care where the truth lays Marty saying nothing is worth more in my book than Dave and his foot in mouth diseases.
Lol! that should be on the back cover of Mustaines book lol! Everything is Dave's fault.

Yeah Marty has not said much ever and has always been pretty respectful toward Dave, even complimentary.

Reactions: Slammed
i was just listening to Inferno the other day and i would have to disagree with you on his last few works being heavier than almost any of their good albums. Countdown and Youthanasia are some of their heaviest(far from being their most aggressive though) album to date.

And i take everything that Dave says with a grain of salt, but i also like him because he's so upfront and doesn't give a fuck what others think of what he says(most of the time at least lol). Hasnt Marty himself said that hes into some poppy stuff? So i wouldn't be surprised if it was a combination of him and Dave trying to kind of jump on the trends of the time. Ands i really dont think Risk has any ties to Countdown and Youthansia, but wont deny that i wasn't THAT shocked with the style of the album following Cryptic Writings, an which i think Marty had a lot to do with too.

Reactions: Slammed and redfly
I love most of Cryptic. Hate Risk. .

HEATHEN!! :p

Lol! that should be on the back cover of Mustaines book lol! Everything is Dave's fault.

Oh speaking of books, I was in the bookshop before (first time I can remember being in one for ages) and among the music books I saw KK's book for $33. There was a book on One Direction for $5 I would have considered before KK's :)

Hasnt Marty himself said that hes into some poppy stuff? So i wouldn't be surprised if it was a combination of him and Dave trying to kind of jump on the trends of the time.

I don't think there is any doubt that Dave wasn't the only problem at the time. The media have always loved to hate him but I don't any band fight is ever one sided. However Marty's silence on the matter to me is worth more than Dave opening his mouth and changing his mind every time he does so.

Oh speaking of books, I was in the bookshop before (first time I can remember being in one for ages) and among the music books I saw KK's book for $33. There was a book on One Direction for $5 I would have considered before KK's :)

I don't think there is any doubt that Dave wasn't the only problem at the time. The media have always loved to hate him but I don't any band fight is ever one sided. However Marty's silence on the matter to me is worth more than Dave opening his mouth and changing his mind every time he does so.
I agree

Mary's silence? I've heard Marty voice his opinions on Dave numerous times. He can also be rather whiny at times. I definitely wouldn't pick sides and dont think one is more credible than the other. It's like a ex gf problems, lol

I wouldn't pick sides but Marty's comment are generally more diplomatic and peaceful, Dave's (misquoted or not) are usually aggressive and pointed.

Well, I can't disagree or agree. I need to listen to Inferno again first. But I remember the drums being more extreme than anything Megadeth has done and the tone on those riffs being very heavy with some pretty fast stuff. It might not be that way all the way through. but parts I think are heavier than a lot of Megadeth. But Although I think the drums are more extreme I don't think it's much heavier than Countdown only a tiny bit. But I definitely think it's heavier than Youthanasia. Not saying Youth is wimpy though, but it went into more of a groove than a razor.

I just found Dave's comments on Marty come up weak.
Marty does like a lot of music a lot not so metal I think. But he didn't make jpop. His solo stuff is pretty much the same as always. Maybe some more rock than metal. But he couldn't have left to make jpop when he didn't make it lol. Unless there's something I have no idea about. That's always possible!
But Marty to me has always been a proponent of the heavier stuff. He said way back in the day that a Tout La Monde was boring to him because it was so simple. And then a few years later left the band because he was bored.
Like I said talking to Slammed before about this. Are we too believe Dave wrote a dozen songs based on what someone else wanted if he wasn't into it? I really don't think so.

Last edited:
I agree

Mary's silence? I've heard Marty voice his opinions on Dave numerous times. He can also be rather whiny at times. I definitely wouldn't pick sides and dont think one is more credible than the other. It's like a ex gf problems, lol
But it's several times in over 20 years. Dave talks shit about almost everyone he has ever been involved with constantly. And people he hasn't. I don't find that true about Marty. So while I can't see inside someone's head I find Marty more credible.

Maybe someday when I mellow out I'll like it. :)...not KK's book. Risk.

Marty does like a lot of music a lot not so metal I think. But he didn't make jpop. His solo stuff is pretty much the same as always. Maybe some more rock than metal. But he couldn't have left to make jpop when he didn't make it lol. Unless there's something I have no idea about. That's always possible!
But Marty to me has always been a proponent of the heavier stuff. He said way back in the day that a Tout La Monde was boring to him because it was so simple. And then a few years later left the band because he was bored.
Like I said talking to Slammed before about this. Are we too believe Dave wrote a dozen songs based on what someone else wanted if he wasn't into it? I really don't think so.

Genres annoy me and I don't pretend to know exactly what jpop is but Marty did a lot of stuff while he was in Japan, which if I remember was pretty much from just after his Mega-exit wasn't it? To me some of what he's done isn't metal, but I don't care. There is some stuff I wouldn't listen to again, but I don't think less of him for doing it. But the fact that he hid(?) in Japan for ten years and the fact that he seems more genuine when he does make comments doesn't make me think the Mega-split wasn't partly his fault either. FWIW I also blame Jnr despite many suggesting he's just a puppet for Snr.