THE THUNDER DOME

It's a bit weird. I think there is a little more to the story, but either way anyone who tries to even pass off a riff that he put out there for people to use as their own is an idiot. To try and register it as your own is a special kind of idiot.

Reactions: redfly
Haha, around here they are normal buses so we can't immediately tell them apart.

Speaking of drummers, my wife tells me Nick Menza's book is down to $12 at the local bookshop. I told her to wait until Christmas and see how far it drops :)

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
It's a waiting game $12 is good but I know they can do better. I just have to hope no bugger is out there thinking $12 is too good to refuse because i doubt they'll get another one in and drop it.

Yes Happy Birthday Nick!

Apparently that drum frame was something special in the way it allowed the drums to be set up. Nick didn't design them but he was one of the first to get one and he thought it was excellent. It allowed the drums to be placed in the same spot every night but could be customised easily if it needed changing. He reckons it made the bass drums louder and harder and the cymbals ring better. However he also admits that if he hadn't been in Megadeth he'd never use such a thing, and he stopped using it the minute he left. He reckons it was big, bulky, a prick to move and set up, and very pricey, so someone not getting paid what he was simply couldn't afford or want such a thing.

Oh yeah I ended up buying the book too.

Yes Happy Birthday Nick!

Apparently that drum frame was something special in the way it allowed the drums to be set up. Nick didn't design them but he was one of the first to get one and he thought it was excellent. It allowed the drums to be placed in the same spot every night but could be customised easily if it needed changing. He reckons it made the bass drums louder and harder and the cymbals ring better. However he also admits that if he hadn't been in Megadeth he'd never use such a thing, and he stopped using it the minute he left. He reckons it was big, bulky, a prick to move and set up, and very pricey, so someone not getting paid what he was simply couldn't afford or want such a thing.

Oh yeah I ended up buying the book too.
Aww. I bet that thing would look sick in the basement!
Oh you got it? Nice!

Reactions: Neptune
Aww. I bet that thing would look sick in the basement!
Oh you got it? Nice!

Oh yeah Nick can complain all he likes that it's a bitch of a thing to move, but if someone gave me one I'd find somewhere to put it!!!

Yeah I got it on the grounds that I'm a snob with FOMO! It's only relatively short but he gets a lot said and I know why it didn't create the controversy that Blabber and the like hoped it would so therefore got little publicity after it was published. It's because there is fuck all controversy to have. In my eyes Nick will always be a fucking legend not just for his drumming but his attitude.

There is all sorts of alien stuff in it. Nicks admits all sorts of things about aliens and moon landings and magic that he probably shouldn't have :)

The thing that surprised me the most is how much he's willing to forget for his own peace. He talks about Dave holding back money, he also suggests it only ever took one phone call to get that money. He talks about Dave suggesting he get his knee operated on, then firing him two days after surgery. He talks about how gutted he was that Dave wouldn't talk to him and he talks about how the second reunion didn't happen because he and Marty didn't think they were being fairly paid. But he also admits that on the road, even when he was just a drum tech, he was always getting under Dave's skin. He'd do all sorts of shit just to get a rise out of Dave because he knew Dave hated it. He's the first to admit Dave did things for himself and money but the truly bitter words against Dave are spoken by the co-author and his long time mate who was also a tech for Megadeth, not him.

This book is and should always be about Nick and the parts Nick wrote are exactly that, he doesn't think everyone is golden but he doesn't dwell on those that aren't. He doesn't even blame his firing from Megadeth as a reason for his drug addiction, he says it helped lead him to the path but it wasn't Dave that made it happen.

His song writing, his instrument playing, his beliefs, his art and his inventions all get talked about. And the passion with which he talks about everything he did is amazing. One of his few regrets is that he's always referred to and defined as the drummer from Megadeth and he can never just be Nick Menza. He talks about magic and visions and that sort of stuff and maybe he did have something with such thoughts because in about 2013 he also stated "I want to die on my drumkit".

The truly eye opening thing in the book though was his love for his kids and that is proven in all it's honesty at the end of the book with a message from his eldest son, sent to his phone 2 days after his death knowing his father would never read it.

A moniker Marty knows all too well!

Sounds like a good read. I didn't know Nick used to get on Dave's nerves on purpose lol. I have to get it. Funny that the co authors have to get their shots in!

Reactions: Slammed