THE THUNDER DOME

Interesting picture.
Not sure if they are suggesting Nick was an angel or is an angel.

Edit: There's some good photos on that website, many I've seen before but they are good none the less.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neptune and redfly
The drumming style is unmistakable, even in his first band from the 80's

Rhoads was okay (as far as 80's cock rock went), having heard their debut I'm quite surprised they didn't have another one. The full album is on YT.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
Awe come on that video showed Nick's ability to be a hair metal drummer :)
What I find interesting is that even though the music doesn't really represent it Nick can still be seen bashing the crap out of those skins like he's playing thrash. He said in his book about how he always hit harder than most drummer but it was his style and he never broke it, but Rhoads shows he was doing it 5 or 6 years before he really stepped into the thrash arena. Back then he was nearly considered a jazz drummer as he'd been taught.

Back in the late 70's early 80's my Mum used to say she didn't mind Kiss but didn't like to look at them. I think Rhoads is a similar thing for me. There is some good 80's heavy metal behind those pictures, but seeing the band reminds me too much of a bunch of posers.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
Awe come on that video showed Nick's ability to be a hair metal drummer :)
What I find interesting is that even though the music doesn't really represent it Nick can still be seen bashing the crap out of those skins like he's playing thrash. He said in his book about how he always hit harder than most drummer but it was his style and he never broke it, but Rhoads shows he was doing it 5 or 6 years before he really stepped into the thrash arena. Back then he was nearly considered a jazz drummer as he'd been taught.

Back in the late 70's early 80's my Mum used to say she didn't mind Kiss but didn't like to look at them. I think Rhoads is a similar thing for me. There is some good 80's heavy metal behind those pictures, but seeing the band reminds me too much of a bunch of posers.
Yeah when they did show him playing he was hammering with that swing like he did in Megadeth. Just not as intensely. (obviously) And I have heard cheesier. But yeah they are hard to look at. What I find the most baffling about the band is that It's Kelly Rhoads. Randy's brother ... and that's the best guitarist he could find?

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
Well it was four years after Randy died so the best guitarist was dead :)
But you're right the fact he named the band as he did meant he was riding on the name, why not use it to get a better guitarist. I don't know what ever happened to Kelly but one album with that name I'd reckon was less than some would have expected.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune