The timing / sync thread.

Sounds like you got a soundblaster live?

I have a soundblaster live platinum 5.1 (and convinced Jim to get one). The thing rules. The remote is handy..since I often record quite a ways away from my PC (monitor interference with pickups you know)...

Let me know how it goes.

I use the old & puny w95 with some minor updates installed, and old & reliable DOS 6.22.

I had a quick call to work thursday and came back today so I obviously haven't done anything. Maybe tomorrow, maybe not.

Here's the latest on what I've found out about the problems on my system.

My original built in sound card appears to be the cause of the sync problems. Upgrading the sound card to the Soundblaster live seemed to fix the sync problem. The first trial recording I made with the soundblaster had a lot of pops and clicks in the audio. I changed some software settings and the pops and clicks seemed to vanish, but in later test recordings, the pops and clicks were present.

The build in audio card didn't have the pops and clicks but had the sync problem, and the new card creates recordings that are in sync but with noise in the audio.

The solution:
For the original built in audio card, nothing worked. Using differens software etc... didn't work. The sync problem remained.

For the soundblaster, the pops in the audio only seem to be there when I record using guitar tracks. If I used the Cubasis software that came with the card, or n-track, the audio seemed to be clear.
I would have just given up on using Guitar tracks at this point except that it is extremely easy to use (when it works).
I found that if I switch my video card to a generic windows driver that the pops in the audio in guitar tracks seem to be gone.
I tried to find updated video drivers, but updating the driver to a newer version didn't help. Upgrading directx, which guitar tracks relies on, didn't help.
I'd like to keep the Sounblaster card, I'm a little concerned about the possibility that it doesn't get along with my video card but so far Guitar tracks seems to be the only program that is having problems.

You sure the pops and clicks are not coming from the fact that your input is a bit too hot for guitar tracks - and maybe the others can handle it?

I've never heard of video drivers interfering with audio drivers. Thats just wierd.

I have guitar tracks...but have never tried it. N-track is always so easy for me to use.

...personally, I'd give up guitar tracks before giving up the soundblaster. ....hmm..but maybe I say that 'cause I've never used guitartracks... :D :p

Rabies: Yeah, I'm sure that the pops are from something other than a hot input. I tried turning down the record level and experimented with different things but it still had pops.

I thought changing the video driver was a weird solution, but after reading every faq, readme, troubleshooting, file I could find, and trying all the other (what I thought to be) more likely causes,
irq problems, hardware acceleration, etc...I finally gave in and tried a generic video driver because of a technical note in one of the troublshooting docs. that said to try using a different video driver. Well, I tried it, and the pops disappeared. Of course, things have a way of seeming fixed, and then popping up later on this computer, but I recorded a bunch of things with the generic video driver and never heard the problem. I switched back to my regular driver and then there were pops in the audio again.

I think it the problem has something to do with the way Guitar tracks communicates with the hardware. I noticed that both Cubase, and n-track mention an Asio driver, where Guitar tracks uses Direct x.

I agree with you about this soundcard, it is really nice!
The thing I like about Guitar tracks is that it works like a tape player. It's set up like a regular mixing board with effects sends, etc...for each track. It only has two views to work with, mixer view, and edit view. You have all of the controls you need right there without having to change menu's etc...too bad it doesn't seem to work like it should.

i have a copy of guitar tracks 2 demo that ive used..... and personally once i had a play around on it..... went straight back to n-track.......!! N- track is very easy to use once you learn what the buttons in the toolbar do.......

I recommend n-track also..... but probaly once again, only because its the only one i know how to use correctly......