the USA thread -

@Rhavin: Oh yes I will drop my carreer just because you say so, the day Italians know how to speak English well :lol: .

Honestly, your English skills are just terrible. It wouldn't matter if you were just some annoying brat on the forum, but you're an annoying brat with delusions of grandeur, concerning your fluency. You're better off hearing it from some random stranger on a message board than being laughed in the face by future would-be employers.

That you would retort with a quip about my language proficiency further testifies to your arrogance. You're a horrible poster, and since you usually contribute nothing I can only hope you get bored of this soon.

Honestly, your English skills are just terrible. It wouldn't matter if you were just some annoying brat on the forum, but you're an annoying brat with delusions of grandeur, concerning your fluency. You're better off hearing it from some random stranger on a message board than being laughed in the face by future would-be employers.

That you would retort with a quip about my language proficiency further testifies to your arrogance. You're a horrible poster, and since you usually contribute nothing I can only hope you get bored of this soon.

Finally someone said it.

Too bad there is no emoticon depicting how I go and hide in a corner, trying to avoid as much conflict as possible. :erk:

rahvin, what do you actually do for a living? Did you study english?

I work for a university library (Department of Foreign Languages, to add more trivia) for a living for a living. I do translations on the side. As for studying English, I did to prepare myself for the TOEFL, the Cambridge Proficiency exam and the Cambridge Translator exam, which I of course took to add to my resume. Everyone here is probably familiar with those one way or the other. I sometimes feel the urge to take the GRE as well, but I'm way too lazy and put off by the fact that my current employers would probably think it's some sort of French cheese.

Edit, for the sake of completeness, and supposing you really want to know: I got into a special university program 2.5 years ago to study dialogue and dubbing of movies and TV shows. Since most of the subjects involve translating to and from English, I guess you could say that's still me studying English. Not that my fluency has anything to do with the discussion above, since I don't prance around parading my future in the field.

I work for a university library (Department of Foreign Languages, to add more trivia) for a living for a living. I do translations on the side. As for studying English, I did to prepare myself for the TOEFL, the Cambridge Proficiency exam and the Cambridge Translator exam, which I of course took to add to my resume. Everyone here is probably familiar with those one way or the other. I sometimes feel the urge to take the GRE as well, but I'm way too lazy and put off by the fact that my current employers would probably think it's some sort of French cheese.
Yep, I'm doing my TOEFEL's this summer.

Not that my fluency has anything to do with the discussion above, since I don't prance around parading my future in the field.
No, your fluency doesnt, but in extreme terms, one might argue that you're sorting books in alphabetical order and inbetween sorting rounds, insult people who actually set out and try to achieve something, as little or as horrible as the result may be. So Im kinda wondering where your intolerance and elitism stem from.
I find it even more surprising considering the fact that you've never heard him talk, or read any of his papers or translations. Maybe he doesnt take this board as serious as you do?
I do believe that what is posted leaves a good impression of what kind of person the poster is, but it doesnt leave a good impression of the kind of translator he is, or of any other part of his life.
Not that I disagree with your general impression, or the fact that his posts do feature horrible english, Im just saying that suggesting he change his profession is a long shot.

No, your fluency doesnt, but in extreme terms, one might argue that you're sorting books in alphabetical order and inbetween sorting rounds, insult people who actually set out and try to achieve something, as little or as horrible as the result may be.

Well, one would be wrong, for the same reason people who are not bestselling authors can still tell if a writer uses poor language or unoriginal plots in his books. Or at least are entitled an opinion.
I mean that I'm not telling him he shouldn't try to become an English teacher from a professional to another, as I never claimed to be one: as a random person, I call his English skills absurd. Mostly - to be honest - based on the fact that 90% of the non-natives here write better. Also, I'd leave him alone if he had never boasted credibility in the field, as I don't think perfect knowledge of the English language is a passport to either heaven or my heart of gold.

As for sorting books: I wish! I spend my working days searching for books and data about books on the Internet, then I buy them, then I talk for hours on the phone with someone who doesn't want to send them to me, then I avoid paying these people until they do, then I operate a dreadful application destined to the joys of the financial management of my library. I'm quite fond of sorting things in alphabetical order, though, so stop reminding me how my job fails to please me. :(

So Im kinda wondering where your intolerance and elitism stem from.

Elitism, maybe, but intolerance? He's claiming his field of expertise is something towards which he shows no talent whatsoever. I'm sure you don't appreciate my tone or the fact that I don't simply shut up and go revel in my books, but you too can tell in point of fact I'm not wrong.

I find it even more surprising considering the fact that you've never heard him talk, or read any of his papers or translations. Maybe he doesnt take this board as serious as you do?

I never bought into the theory that you can be a jerk online and the embodiment of kindness in real life just because you don't take the Internet that seriously, or that you can post as an illiterate online and then write the New American novel for the same reason. You can disagree, though, I'm just saying I don't believe this is how it works. I'm also not taking this board very seriously, but you know that: you're throwing stuff at me hoping something sticks.

Not that I disagree with your general impression, or the fact that his posts do feature horrible english, Im just saying that suggesting he change his profession is a long shot.

I definitely don't expect him to take my advice. The advice is genuine, however: for that career path, he should be writing a lot better than this even when he doesn't put much effort into it.

Edit: we're derailing the thread, though. If you want to reply maybe we should move to general chat.

I never bought into the theory that you can be a jerk online and the embodiment of kindness in real life just because you don't take the Internet that seriously, or that you can post as an illiterate online and then write the New American novel for the same reason. You can disagree, though, I'm just saying I don't believe this is how it works. I'm also not taking this board very seriously, but you know that: you're throwing stuff at me hoping something sticks.
Yea I know what you mean, I never believed Misanthrope was a nice guy in real life either for example ;)
But what I meant were things a lot less extreme, for example Id never give anyone relationship advice based on what a nice person/jackass they are on here, the same goes for professions.
Besides, how would you feel if he told he stopped his classes and in two years he ends up unemployed/drinking or whatever? It's just something Id rather not meddle with.

Yea I know what you mean, I never believed Misanthrope was a nice guy in real life either for example ;)

I'm sure he wasn't. Can I still miss him a tiny bit?

But what I meant were things a lot less extreme, for example Id never give anyone relationship advice based on what a nice person/jackass they are on here, the same goes for professions.

Yeah, well, relationship advice on the Internet usually only works one way, because you get to hear one side of the story alone and have usually no way to verify. Larger communities I regularly read tend to present the opposite result: nobody knows anybody so they tend to assume the person with a problem is an imbecile. I dread to think how often they're right. ;)
On here, the only result would be (and is) that we rush to console the heartbroken victim. We never really give advice based on anyone's personality except our own.

The same does go for professions if it's something completely arbitrary: tomorrow you come and tell us you failed an exam because the teacher is a biased ass, what do you think the regulars will say? In this case, though, we're given elements to base an opinion on. It would be a valid point if you told me to stop harrassing LBRH because we're a group of young folks with no reason for personal enmity, and - reluctantly, because I'm mean-spirited like that - I would roll my eyes and let go. If we stick to what I can see of his professional choices based on the modicum of reason I come equipped with, however, I think I'm seeing what's really there.

Besides, how would you feel if he told he stopped his classes and in two years he ends up unemployed/drinking or whatever? It's just something Id rather not meddle with.

Yes, you're right. I didn't think of that, I absolutely never think of such consequences as a possibility. I certainly do not know what's best for him, so I'll stop acting like I do.

I find it hard to understand spoken English if australian accent is present, or if american accent with too much slang is used.

I'm soon taking a Cambridge test: The First Certificate of English (FCE). As for the "level" of the test, I've been told it's "level 3", or "upper intermediate".

Rahvin, would you say I have a chance of actually passing the test, based on how I post around here?

Well, let me add my well-balanced and wise opinion. :p

I have no specific reason to defend Danny; on the contrary, sometimes he made remarks on some of my most self-centered posts that I believed to be fairly superficial, so if anything I should maybe be holding a tiny grudge toward him.

I have, of course, tons of specific reasons to defend rahvin, because he is my friend; but I am not beyond seeing where he can be wrong, as I hope that most of you will acknowledge, and as will be clear in the following.

My thoughts on this whole issue are very much of a professional nature, in the sense that after all I am an economist who worked a lot with data on developing countries, and I guess that I can derive some good hunches from the so-called "conditional convergence" theory.

Danny lives in Costa Rica. So the question we have to ask ourselves (and he has to ask himself, too), if we want to comment on his English, is not "Would he make a wonderful translator of literary English?" but "Would he make a good translator in his country?".

I know for a fact that the educational attainment of the average Costa Rican is way lower than his, and I do honestly believe that he could be useful to his prospective Costa Rican employer much more than most of his contenders. Note that I am not saying this in a condescending way, nor with any racism intended toward Costa Ricans: I am trying to say that before judging his effectiveness you have to bear in mind his context, which is one where probably he is one of the best young people who study languages, also considering the fact that he's taking more than one language.

So, should he stay in his country, Danny will be a good translator, he will probably get a good pay in relative terms, and he will contribute to the furthering of commercial relations of his country with the rest of the world. To me, this is all well and good, and for anyone who is conversant with economic theory this is also one of the reasons why Costa Rica might have a future generation of translators that can be competitive with translators who come from high-income countries.

Of course if Danny, say, went to Sweden or Holland he could hardly compete with locally-bred budding translators. If he doesn't acknowledge this (and from the little I know about him, he might not be inclined to acknowledge it), then he's delusional. This doesn't make him any less of a good Costa Rican translator; he's just a delusional Costa Rican translator.

This was to say that I don't think we should be piling up against someone without considering the circumstances of his country of origin, that is if we are trying to estimate his chances at success in a strictly professional capacity.

Now that this is out of the way, I do not like the "phorum", the "ye" and all that business more than any of you do. My only hope is that Danny will grow out of it: I can distinctly remember that I had a fascination with low-level slang when I was a teenager, and maybe the level of English I could have at 16 is the one that is expected from Danny in uni (for which we cannot blame him). I know for a fact that I grew out of it; we don't know if he will, and here I can only give my heartfelt advice to him to do so, but this is neither here not there.

Another thing I do not like one iota is the racial slurs that Danny thought wise to throw against Italians. While I do acknowledge that a thorough knowledge of English in this country is more or less limited to professionals in the field and a few aficionados, I'm not in favor of any generalization, as I said in the past. So please, Danny, kindly refrain from such aggressive language.

More reflections on the theme would include the fact that Danny sometimes does not seem to be aware of his own limitations, language-wise. But my conclusion on this is "Who cares", which of course does not mean that people who are irritated by his attitude should not say so.

@Taliesin: while I commend you on what I deem a very bold statement about rahvin, I do not see any elitism or intolerance in what he said. He was just inviting a forum member not to boast in a loud and obnoxious way about imaginary achievements. You retorted by pointing out that rahvin might be more or less taking out his frustrations as an underachiever, and I say "Wow" at that because I would never dare to say so (incidentally, there are two reasons why I would not: one in the rational domain, i.e. because such a statement rests on an assumption of unique paradigms which, surprising or not, I do not share; one in the emotional domain, i.e. I just would not feel it helps any). But I don't think there is such a strong connection. You can label me more or less any possible insulting thing except "underachiever", yet I do not really like all the flaunting and boasting and parading evident from Danny's post. I like the fact that he's trying to achieve something, but I do not think that being so air-headed about it is going to help him. A good habit of discipline and self-criticism is going to help him, and he would be helped, in my humble opinion, by being slightly more thick-skinned.

As for some random festivals of hypocrisy going on in the here and there of the whole dialogue, I will just not comment, because I don't want to be sick.

I find it hard to understand spoken English if australian accent is present

I'm afraid everybody does. :)

Rahvin, would you say I have a chance of actually passing the test, based on how I post around here?

God forbid I come off as the expert, now! Anyway, if I remember correctly, it's really simple and you shouldn't have any trouble. A great way to check your level of English for free - and before the test - is to register on a site with online tests, even if it's for dating or something. Chances are they're gonna have a quick quiz to test your literacy, and you can use it as a benchmark since they're often made for native English speakers.

@hyena: Yes, I lust for the fast life of the Costa Rican English teacher every day. The women and the flashy clothes are especially in my dreams.

@hyena: Yes, I lust for the fast life of the Costa Rican English teacher every day. The women and the flashy clothes are especially in my dreams.

Uh?

:lol:

What on Earth did I say to imply this, of all things?

I am now laughing at the thought of you with gold chains and flamboyant tracksuits. :lol::lol:

Good Ideas. On the subject of English, I'd like to underline that this website can be very handy, should you have a specific doubt.

What on Earth did I say to imply this, of all things?

Nothing, I thought that was the beauty of it. ;) It suddenly seemed absurd to fight to the death over the desire to become something so mundane. And I say this - for once - with a huge amount of respect for the job: there's nothing wrong with mundane. It's certainly much, much better than the tragic.

i'm sure there was something about the mundane and the tragic which i didn't get. :lol:

and i'm cringing at the suspicion that i might be adding to the political correctness of this forum. ;)

i'm sure there was something about the mundane and the tragic which i didn't get. :lol:

and i'm cringing at the suspicion that i might be adding to the political correctness of this forum. ;)

Or maybe he'd like to forge the new unknown, by letting his dreams cross over to days of endless "bling", to flashiness and back again.

...Where are the femmes I came to find?

Or maybe he'd like to forge the new unknown, by letting his dreams cross over to days of endless "bling", to flashiness and back again.

...Where are the femmes I came to find?

For some reason, this made me think of the Nightwish song which I always assume to go "Beneath my dreams, sandwiches" rather than "Beneath my dreams, and wishes".

Which in turn makes me focus on the fact that I am now listening to "Ever dream".

Which in turn compels me to send the song to someone.

Which in turn will have me in tears by Saturday afternoon.

Watch for endless fun on the chat thread!

Will do. Now, Nightwish is an excellent exponent for misheard lyrics. (Master, a dentist!)

I'd give out youtube links but apparently I can't be arsed to. Oh bother.

Yet, something tells me most people around here have seen those videos already (Ok, they're more like a sort of presentations with background music).

You retorted by pointing out that rahvin might be more or less taking out his frustrations as an underachiever, and I say "Wow" at that because I would never dare to say so
First of all, I take any opportunity I get to tease the big fella and second of all, I wanted to know what he really did for a living. In my book, someone with limited potential who sets out and tries to achieve something earns 10 times the respect someone earns with more potential, who is content with where life let him drift ashore. That was the main reason for my post. The rest was just general agreeing with rahvin anyway ;)
I dont mean to criticise rahvin's choices nor did I mean to imply he was an underachiever, I just wanted to know where his elitism or lectures came from.