the USA thread -

I do remember a little bit of the exchange exchange (for the lack of a better phrase, or my laziness in procuring one), but I don't remember going into a lot of the social issues, just some of the logistics of coming over, and the pain of a time the groups that organize it gave to people.

Though if anyone could find it, I wouldn't mind having it put in here.

~kov.

First I ended up in Las Vegas. My family there was awesome but my exchange organisation had the great idea to send me to a private christian school because they were too slow to get me into a regular high school in time. I hated them they hated a longhaired blacksouled faggot like me so I tried to get into a different school. My exchange organisation messed it up and sent me to Oklahoma (hooray!). The family was ok, school was ok as well, I could barely survive it. The exchange organisation told if I don't like I have to go home. So I stayed.
At least you got to know a city first :heh: I was directly sent to Idaho, and only travelled at the end of my exchange. I got to see Seattle, Portland, the Mount St Helens and Vancouver (Canada).

Wich organisation did you actually go with?
I have the feeling that rotary is not the best choice ever (exept that its less expensive to go with them :p). Otherwise they dont even read what you put in the papers you have to fill in (i said i liked to go to nearby cities with my friends and didnt like living in a small village... guess where they sent me... in a 4000 inhabitants town...). I couldnt even getmy drivers license because the Rotary wouldnt allow me to do so. With WEP (the organisation i first wanted to go with, before i got a place with the rotary), i could have done so. It would have been easier to only have to pass the test in Belgium, and way cheaper than following driving lessons there)

As of today the USA is now #2 when it comes to polluting the atmosphere with carbon dioxide,
China is now the #1 polluter.
As the wind blows, now areas of the west coast of North America are having ecological problems with this gaseous mofo from the East.
Oh well, what goes around comes around, back in the day the burning of coal in the USA caused acid rain that killed zillions of trees in Canada -

As of today the USA is now #2 when it comes to polluting the atmosphere with carbon dioxide,
China is now the #1 polluter.
As the wind blows, now areas of the west coast of North America are having ecological problems with this gaseous mofo from the East.
Oh well, what goes around comes around, back in the day the burning of coal in the USA caused acid rain that killed zillions of trees in Canada -

Emissions per capita is an entirely different thing though :rolleyes:

The climate threat and environment issues on the global plane makes me feel apathetic. Even if we might be able to cut down emissions in the western world, which seems hard enough with the attitide that some countries are having towards it, the increasing industrialisation of the developing countries propably will outweigh the efforts by far.

On the matter of the USA: On the television there was news about Iraq and the upcoming contracts on oil from the massive oil reserves there. There has been critiscism that the majority of the profit goes into Shell and Enron´s treasure chests, but not many complaints are heard from the Iraqi government nor it´s citizens, as they´re busy trying to kill/not to kill each other.

Divide and conquer, anyone?

^ I'll take that for a few billion dollars, thanks. -Bush

Yeah the thing of the US being number 2 appeared a few days ago, but I wasn't a bit shocked. I mean, there are so many fucking Chinese nowadays!

And I agree with Makaan, it's really sad because I could definetly tell that there is some effort on behalf of European countries to reduce global warming, but all that effort is for none if the US and China don't want to collaborate.

Shit and to think that I try to use a car/bus less and less every time I can, that I plant lots of trees, that I recicle a fucking lot, to think it is all for nothing due to good ol' bastards Uncle Sam and China.

Today is/was Live Earth wasn't it? Hope it helped at least a little bit :cry: .

^ Hahaha :p . Heard like 4 min on the radio today, seemed like fun. Damn, why doesn't anyone do a Live "Metal" Earth in CR? Maybe Lordi could come, and dressed as Autobots and Decepticons, not like monsters (yes, I just saw the Transformers movie and it RULES!!!!! :headbang: :kickass: Had an erection when I saw Optimus, just like with Galactus :p ).

^ I missed out on metallica and found out that U2 didn´t play at all :mad: . I wish I´d been around to see the "Live Aid" show during the 80:S! I think we´ll never see such a heap of great musicians at the same time. Lennon, Dylan, U2, Dire Straits, Queen, Sting....

I´m still waiting for the state-owned television company here in Sweden (SVT) to do a reprise of an event called "heavy metal night". This was a couple of years ago, when they had their main channel play famous metal concerts, together with interviews and a documentary or two throughout the entire night! IIRC Metallica, AC/DC, Iron Maiden and some black/death metal band had their concerts sent, great stuff! :headbang:

As for transformers, I saw the movie on thursday, and I must say I was positively surprised! I´ve never been a big transformers fan as I´m a bit to young for that, but the coolness factor was high nontheless :p. Even though some of the actors and the script blew bigtime it´s definetly worth seeing just for the special effects! Oh and lets not mention all the american patriotism, but hey what should one expect? :erk:

^ I missed out on metallica and found out that U2 didn´t play at all :mad: . I wish I´d been around to see the "Live Aid" show during the 80:S! I think we´ll never see such a heap of great musicians at the same time. Lennon, Dylan, U2, Dire Straits, Queen, Sting....

I´m still waiting for the state-owned television company here in Sweden (SVT) to do a reprise of an event called "heavy metal night". This was a couple of years ago, when they had their main channel play famous metal concerts, together with interviews and a documentary or two throughout the entire night! IIRC Metallica, AC/DC, Iron Maiden and some black/death metal band had their concerts sent, great stuff! :headbang:

As for transformers, I saw the movie on thursday, and I must say I was positively surprised! I´ve never been a big transformers fan as I´m a bit to young for that, but the coolness factor was high nontheless :p. Even though some of the actors and the script blew bigtime it´s definetly worth seeing just for the special effects! Oh and lets not mention all the american patriotism, but hey what should one expect? :erk:

Megan Fox :OMG:

I was reading something in here about US scholar system and now I've got a question: Can a student lose a year? To say it better: If I'm under the minimum level in more than a certain number of fields of studying, do I have to repeat the year?

Yes, but I don't know the exact rules, and it probably differs by school system (so, by county). I believe in my area, it's left up to the discretion of the teacher, and it usually only happens in elementary school, if at all.

Yes, but I don't know the exact rules, and it probably differs by school system (so, by county). I believe in my area, it's left up to the discretion of the teacher, and it usually only happens in elementary school, if at all.

Really only in elementary? And what if I'm not doing good things on high school? For example: 10 courses and more than a half is 5/10..what does happen?

In high school, the same might happen - you could have to retake the year. I know of one or two people for which this happened. On the other hand, they may let you progress, and you would just have to take the requisite courses again.

~kov.

I was visiting Seattle and Tacoma, with a 2 day trip to Vancouver. This is some years ago.

I remember the smal railwaystation in Seattle. It was a big city with several million people and the station was so smal and shabby. I also remember the cappuccino they served me. The milkfoume was so hard I almost could not reath the coffe. Since I usually mix the foume with the coffe it really spoiled it.
:)

In high school, the same might happen - you could have to retake the year. I know of one or two people for which this happened. On the other hand, they may let you progress, and you would just have to take the requisite courses again.

~kov.

Thanks.

I've always thought that it was kind of funny that you could fail a course but still move on to the next year except in that course. In here if you fail a course by the end of the school period, well it's the whole damn level for you again :p .

I've always thought that it was kind of funny that you could fail a course but still move on to the next year except in that course. In here if you fail a course by the end of the school period, well it's the whole damn level for you again :p .

Here if you fail you have to do an exam at beginning of the following year, showing that you understood what you didn't the year before..if at the end of this following you have not passed this exam (you can do it three times during the school)..you can still try it the year after the following year :lol: except you failed even in the following..in this case..repeat!

I know it's exlplanied as pure shit :heh:

in Belgium, when you fail an exam at the end of the year, there are new exams organised at the end of teh vacations that you have to take. If you fail that, you probabily have to redo again the whole level. But sometimes if you didnt fail too much, say you missed 2 points or something, the teachers may just give you some vacation homework or let you pass without the second exam.
But if you have failed too many exams, the teachers dont even make you pass the second exam, you have to do the whole level again