the USA thread -

Rome(then), USA(today) aka Is the US making the same mistakes as Rome?
Comparisons of America and Rome are everywhere these days, whether deploring an over-extended military, social decadence, or illegal immigration.
A more disturbing and largely ignored similarity lies in the wholesale privatization of the US government's authority and functions, which has blurred the line between public good and personal gain.
Over time public power becomes powerless and private power becomes paramount -

I like Canada better than the U.S. myself (no offence), to me it just seems to be more... labyrinthinical.

Oh, but when some of my classmates in elementary school heard I moved from the States they assumed I said "roof" as "ruh-f" or something of the sort, though I don't. What kind of an accent do I possess then?

Uh, Canadian?

I've been told my accent is a weird blend, vaguely resembling a brittish tone with americanized expressions.

I've been heard saying "Woah, now that's bloody cheesy, dood. Innit?"

^ Haha :lol: that sounds like Black English Vernacular with British and US influences :p , something like:

"Yo yo brudda, you know wa a me? The bloody punani is so fucking hot!

:rolleyes: :p :loco:

On discussion, I think I'd never live in the US, maybe only New York or Boston (they're so nice :) ), but I'd have to get an awesome job offer or a scholarship to study something I can only study there.

Rome(then), USA(today) aka Is the US making the same mistakes as Rome?
Comparisons of America and Rome are everywhere these days, whether deploring an over-extended military, social decadence, or illegal immigration.
A more disturbing and largely ignored similarity lies in the wholesale privatization of the US government's authority and functions, which has blurred the line between public good and personal gain.
Over time public power becomes powerless and private power becomes paramount -

One thing I've been thinking of on this subject, is that the decline of the Roman empire started when it stopped expanding and therefore lost access to cheap labour, i.e. slaves. So what would happen to the U.S. if let's say, illegal immigrants would be accepted as U.S. citizens and the minimum wages raised?

Oops, now I'm comparing Mexicans to slaves. :erk: That might be a little too bold. No offense intended towards Mexicans.