The Wiltern Show

May 20, 2005
I JUST got back from the Wiltern show. Let me be the first to say it was awesome. I had the best time with my wife and my mom; I dragged her to see the best metal band on the planet. We sat dead center about 15 rows from the stage in the third section. The sound was flawless except one of Peter's amps sounded like it was clipping or was blown, and the mike was not loud enough during the softer songs. Other than that, best sound I have ever heard at a metal concert.

The Setlist:
1. Under the Weeping Moon
2. The Night And The Silent Water
3. The Amen Corner
4. White Cluster
5. The Leper Affinity
6. Deliverance
7. A Fair Judgement
8. Windowpane
9. Closure
10. Ghost Of Perdition
11. The Baying Of The Hounds
12. The Grand Conjuration
13. Demon of the Fall

Pretty friggin' good setlist if you ask me. I really liked TNASW much better live than on the album. It really kicked ass live. I also really liked the ending to Closure. MUCH better live than on the album. Everyone really sounded great during the whole show. I liked this show much better than at the Hollywood HOB during the last leg of the tour. I loved every minute of the show.

After the show, as my wife, mom, and I were heading to our car, we walked past the tour bus (I'm assuming) and who else but Mike was standing on the ledge above with some some close friends (I think). I asked him if I could have an autograph (sorry Mike, I opened the Pandora's Box of autograph askers). Graciously he leaned down (WAY down, it was a long way) and signed one of the freebie CD sleeves that I got at the exit. He didn't have to, but I really appreciate it. Thanks Mike if you ever read this:)

DSCN3462.jpg

Shit man is that a flag or a cd sleeve? That picture is HUGE. Haha, you should resize it. Anyway thats cool you got his autograph. Sounds like an amazing show, I'm jealous. Fucking awesome setlist.

LOL, I just resized it. He seemed tired and really wanted to relax; I would be too. I just gotta say, he was a very nice guy.

wankerness said:
Here's a review from one of the better review sites around:

http://ruthlessreviews.com/music/o/opethchronicles.html

Apparently he got Serenity Painted Death mixed up with White Cluster, but pretty fun review nonetheless!

rrr...now it's corrected

I would've been in awe if they played Serenity instead of white cluster or adding more songs to the last three albums.

Great show though, and white cluster ruled

My only complaint would be the abnoxious fuck behind me yelling "Play 'Judgement Day'" and just other really annoying shite... I wanted to fucking throttle him!:heh:

But he was only sitting behind me for about half the show (lucky for him because the husband was about to kill him). :mad:

Then another metalhead took his place, all he would do is sing along and yell "that was beautiful", he was cool, no murderous thoughts for him... :headbang:

Otherwise it was the best metal show I've ever seen...
:kickass: <--Coffee

bball_1523 said:
I would've been in awe if they played Serenity instead of white cluster or adding more songs to the last three albums.

Great show though, and white cluster ruled

+1

Before the show I saw Mike out back there and yelled "What's up, Mike!" and threw up the horns. He looked up at me kinda like "Fuck You" but waved back. I was pumped up, sorry Mike.

And the guy I got tickets from came down and gave me VIP passes, but it was getting late for me so I just left. Damn, shoulda gone back stage, but oh well.

show started a bit slow for my tatses and everyone sitting was just gay
I hung at the bar and got pounded watching a great set that built and built but again the crowd killed it for me.

This show was just the best thing in the world!

I loved every moment of it. My seats were perfect and me and my bro had a great view.

The seating was awesome, i really like it. You can actually enjoy the music more!

I hope they at least start playing at the Wiltern more. :kickass:

I was sitting there either singing along, staring at anyone of the band members, or just headbanging.

Me and my bro shouted "JESUS!!!!" inbetween songs too lol. I wish my brother and I waited to meet the guys at their tour bus, but we were tired.

Oh, and next time they play at the Wiltern, I am taping a camera inside my pants at my crouch, they never even checked me much.

Well, I am at school now, so I will post more when i get home.

Oh, and did anybody see that little like 5 year old girl on her dad's shoulders? That was kickass there!

When they left in between a song Mike waved and was all "Bye!"

During Demon of the Fall, I saw her headbanging on her dads shoulders and giving mike the horns. It was cool. :)

biggsy said:
wait, you took your MUM to an opeth show? shit man thats keen. all my mum says about my music is 'turn that down'
She says that too, but I think she wanted to see what all the hoopla was all about. I caught a glimpse of her sorta headbanging. I don't know whether to be proud or scared:p The best part is, she's an elementary school teacher:lol:

Tybud said:
+1

Before the show I saw Mike out back there and yelled "What's up, Mike!" and threw up the horns. He looked up at me kinda like "Fuck You" but waved back. I was pumped up, sorry Mike.

And the guy I got tickets from came down and gave me VIP passes, but it was getting late for me so I just left. Damn, shoulda gone back stage, but oh well.

yah, lol...i'm sure he gets annoyed by the constant whats ups from fans. on the last tour, he was walking around in the venue. i said "whats up" and he did the same thing. he looked at me like, "i don't know you, leave the fuck alone, what do you want." but, he said hi.

Mr. Bland said:
Oh, and did anybody see that little like 5 year old girl on her dad's shoulders? That was kickass there!

When they left in between a song Mike waved and was all "Bye!"

During Demon of the Fall, I saw her headbanging on her dads shoulders and giving mike the horns. It was cool. :)

haha lovely! should have been there to see that moment =)

great setlist there

i didn't stay after the LA show to meet opeth, but i did do it for the San Diego show.

surprisinly only us 6 friends were waiting for them. Eventually got to meet all the dark tranquillity members and all Opeth peeps except Peter. Got pictures and autographs on all my booklets. god damn it was a great nite.

roadtonowhere08 said:
I JUST got back from the Wiltern show. Let me be the first to say it was awesome. I had the best time with my wife and my mom; I dragged her to see the best metal band on the planet. We sat dead center about 15 rows from the stage in the third section. The sound was flawless except one of Peter's amps sounded like it was clipping or was blown, and the mike was not loud enough during the softer songs. Other than that, best sound I have ever heard at a metal concert.

The Setlist:
1. Under the Weeping Moon
2. The Night And The Silent Water
3. The Amen Corner
4. White Cluster
5. The Leper Affinity
6. Deliverance
7. A Fair Judgement
8. Windowpane
9. Closure
10. Ghost Of Perdition
11. The Baying Of The Hounds
12. The Grand Conjuration
13. Demon of the Fall

I agree. I've seen Opeth three times now, and this was the best show I've seen. I'd say it's one of the best concerts I've been to, among the top 5 at least, and I've been going to concerts since the early 80s. The sound was perfect, the venue was beautiful.

Your setlist is complete, but the order seems wrong. I took down each song as it was played on the Treo.

Here's what I got:

Under the Weeping Moon
The Night and the Silent Water
The Amen Corner
White Cluster
The Leper Affinity
A Fair Judgement
Deliverance
Windowpane
Closure
Ghost of Perdition
Baying of the Hounds
The Grand Conjuration

Demon of the Fall

Only difference is that they played AFJ before Deliverance.

I met Peter and Mikael back stage and got some shots. I'm processing/editing them, and will probably get them up some time after I get back home to NoCal (I'm still down in LA, visiting friends).

Has anyone else noticed that Mikael is interacting with the audience a lot more now ? He cracks a lot of jokes and stuff now and talks to the audience more than the other shows I've attended. He had me laughing a number of times. :p

I enjoyed every minute of this show and I'm very happy that I decided to drive 300+ miles down from NoCal to see it! Sort of ridiculous, seeing that I spent far more money on gas, hotel room and food than the price of the ticket, but even so, it was worth it!