The Zombies's O&O and Watershed

Jackehh

Oct 9, 2007
So I was watching the roadrunner recorded video on Mikael and Fredrik briefly talking about their influences and also recommending artists and records (link: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.se/page/News?&news_page=&news_id=61966)

Mike mentions specifically the Zombies and their record Odessey & Oracle as both a great album but also influence as of recently. Anyway I got the album and I'm obviously inclinded to agree with mikael on it being a great album but I also couldnt escape to notice that Watershed has A LOT of similarities with O & O. If you give the record a few listens I'm sure you'll hear the similarities as well.

While some of the influences might still be subtle there are some passages that could have been taken directly from O & O and put into watershed, especially in the track "changes". I was happy and also excited to hear these influences and it struck me how brilliantly mikael "borrows" some of The Zombies' sounds and blends it together with all his other ideas and created Watershed. I'm sure I'm not the only one who must have had these thoughts while listening to watershed and O&O and I for one really appreciate them (obviously :p) for those that haven't heard Odessey & Oracle I really recommend laying your hands on it, especially if you liked watershed!

I am a big zombie's fan, but i dont see much zombies influance in the new record. I do notice it in delrect heards though!

Mike has said in interviews that he probably wouldn't have done Watershed if it wasn't for that album. When he first mentioned them I thought: "The Zombies? Who the crap are they?", and then I looked them up and found out that they were the one's who did "Time Of The Season". A great band from the 60's who are often overlooked.

I was thinking the funky part in Lotus Eater sounded like Conversation off Floral Street.
From O&O, the only song I could see Opeth covering is Beechwood Park. It has that Patterns in the Ivy vibe.
Of course a cover of "Care of Cell 44" would be badass but ...weird.

The creepy keyboard over the talking at the end of The Lotus Eater reminds me of the Zombies song Butchers Tale.