Theocracy Studio Video

Very insightful. Thanks for taking the time. Some of the individual choir bits freaked me out a little :lol:, but combined well. Back to the Traditional Cab huh? Looks like the SM57 position is a little off the edge of the dustcap, almost all on the cone maybe?

Ahh i can't watch it, its saying something about site owners bandwidth's been reached? anyone else getting this?

Never mind- got it working, Savage video.
How do you work out the choir bits? do you score them out following chords before hand or do you just go by feel and experience and wing it, keeping what you like and ditching what you don't? I worked out a few 6 and 8 part harmony vocals before but pretty much had to work it all out before hand on my guitar

Latest thread response ever...sorry for the delay guys, I’ve just now had the time to kinda catch up on things. Here we go...

Sweet vid dude (though I might suggest some scripting and especially editing of the parts of you speaking at the camera ;))

Haha!

- I recognize most of the stuff in your rack (and I like the random Mesa stickers on the desk :D)

Those were actually tube boxes scattered around, oops...

but what's that above the Central Station, as well as above the A2D?

Above the Central Station is my Smart C1 compressor. Above the A2D is the Mackie Onyx 800R. Surprisingly not bad preamps in that.

And what's that half-rack thing next to your Power Conditioner?

LavryBlack DA-10 converter. The mix goes out of that and into the Smart. I also use it for reamping, etc.

What's that silver mic next to the 57? And how do you like that Audix (looks like a D2) on your cab?

That’s a D4 and it’s fairly similar to a Sennheiser 421 in that it kinda does that spikey 3K thing. So blending a little in can add some nice bite. The silver mic was a Cascade Fathead ribbon, a pair of which were also used for the front-of-kit mics and also for tracking the gang vocals. On the guitars I used it for a little more bottom and depth. There was only a tiny bit of those mics used though, it was mostly 57. The Fathead was actually 180 degrees out of phase so I had to flip it...though they were in phase with each other at least...

And way to wear your own band's shirt, real cool :D

What can I say, I like my band. ;)

And I assume that's an 81 in the bridge of the Ninja? (looks like silver lettering, compared with the telltale gold lettering of the 85 in the neck).

Yup, 81 bridge, 85 neck.

And what're the details of the bass, it sounds great too! Is the Distressor two channels, or are you just running one thing in there, and does it go before or after the API? And did you take a DI as well as the two mic signals to run through the PSA-1?

Distressor is mono. I ran the bass into a Little Labs Redeye, and from the DI of that into an API channel and then into the Distressor. So that was the DI chain, and I also duplicated that track and distorted it with the SansAmp. And then the D4 and SM7 on bass cab. I was actually really happy with the bass sound as well...probably the best I’ve gotten.

Sorry for so many questions dude, but this is a great vid with great sounds, so I'm super curious! :headbang:

No problem, glad you enjoyed!

I'm more interested in hearing about the vocals.

SM7 into API into Distressor for leads, Studio Projects C1 into same chain for choirs, Fathead pair into APIs for gang vocals.

Now what piece of gear were you running the bass through at the end there and were you running a Dir bass track through it or your bass track that was miced?

That was the SansAmp PSA-1, and I was running the Direct track through it.

But actually better than the RBI (dedicated bass unit). At least for metal anyway.

Yeah, Andy recommended that I get the PSA-1 over the RBI, so I went that route. It’s cool.

But did you get it all done in a week?!?!?!

No! :)

Were you tracking the bassguitar through the Distressor?

Yup, the DI. I love the Distressor for so many things. Really can’t go wrong.

That's some epic Queen shit at the end there, awesome.

High praise, thank you.

Very insightful. Thanks for taking the time. Some of the individual choir bits freaked me out a little :lol:, but combined well.

Yeah, not too flattering separated out like that, but it works well in the end.

Back to the Traditional Cab huh? Looks like the SM57 position is a little off the edge of the dustcap, almost all on the cone maybe?

Not that far out, but it was a good bit off center.

How do you work out the choir bits? do you score them out following chords before hand or do you just go by feel and experience and wing it, keeping what you like and ditching what you don't? I worked out a few 6 and 8 part harmony vocals before but pretty much had to work it all out before hand on my guitar

I usually just go by feel; I’ve been singing my whole life so I guess harmonies just come easy to me. If I need to figure out an extra harmony or I get stumped, I’ll grab the guitar and break it down by chord and work it out that way.

Epic.

If I'm ever in Georgia you're playing a gig for me. Period.

Hey, as long as we have the bass player situation sorted by then, I’m in...

that was really cool, thx!
where can i ge this song?:D

It will be on the Japanese release of our new album Mirror of Souls. The Japanese record company is called Soundholic, and the release date is Nov. 26. I’m not sure if we’ll have that edition for order directly through our site as well, but it’s possible. That particular track was mastered by our very own James Murphy as well.

great video.

Amazing it took nearly two weeks for 1 songo_O But I guess perfection calls for it.

Haha that’s actually fast for us, but yeah it’s amazing how quickly the time adds up.

When is the album coming out?

I'm buying!!:headbang:

Hey, thanks a lot! Dates and little promo video HERE. The label also put a full song up for download HERE if you want to check that out.

I think that covers it. I really appreciate all the kind words in this thread...I’m glad you guys enjoyed the videos--I enjoy stuff like that and it was fun to put together. I’m glad the album is finally coming out, and definitely ready for my vacation next week. :headbang: