Theories of the Universe

I can imagine there being a whole lot of "nothing" beyond our universe, where the only matter is contained within the one or multiple universes that occupy this extra-cosmic void. Would this void be governed by our own universes physical laws? Perhaps not, since it could be devoid of not only matter but of any fabric of space-time. Takes the meaning of nothing to a whole new level.

If the space-time fabric doesn't exist outside our universe how could the primeval atom have?

I think we need a multidimensional theories thread.

Who said atoms had to exist beyond our universe? Perhaps atoms are only a result of our own universe's laws of physics. Beyond that, there could be a place devoid of atoms. Only nothing.

I like the bang-and-crunch theory. It really makes sense. The thing is, how do we prove it?

We should find out where the next universal singularity is gonna be in a few billion years, then get someone to sit out there and see what happens.

If I'm correct our universe could not exist within something devoid of time-space. (The same way a three-dimensional object contains the first two dimensions. Dimensions are cumulative.)

The fact that our own universe is of finite dimensions certainly leaves open that possibility. Ours could be one of an infinite number of universes, floating in some greater void, each universe governed by different laws of physics.

ecume.GIF

On that note, here's a good video on higher dimensions that might put such a scenario as that into perspective:

(sorry if that's already been posted - I haven't read the whole thread yet)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. That cleared up a few things for me. I saw a documentary a while ago about string theory that claimed there being 10 dimensions, but it never did describe the nature of those higher dimensions. This video seemed to do that, at least to the point of our current logic.

Yeah, it's a really good video. Although it's still looks somewhat arbitrary how they're assigning parameters to each of those dimensions. And some of them they don't really even explain, like the 8th and 9th ones - what the hell were those supposed to be anyway?

I read the book Hyperspace by Michio Taku and he used a very similiar illustration using flatlanders, but he didnt go through all ten dimensions like that, he stopped at 3 or 4 I think. There was another part in the book where he said something like, before the big bang all 10 dimensions existed as a single infinitely dense point, but the tension holding them together was so high that it broke and thats what the big bang was. Its a really interesting book.

Here's a thought. How would our universe look from a perspective outside of time-space?

To be outside of time-space would be a state of non-existence, right? If so, this would assume an afterlife state in which we could perceive our universe as a whole without being governed by physical law (ex. time)...not sure I wanted to go there.

Well, I don't know about how the whole universe came to be... As far as earth, monkeys volved from microscopic organisms over billions of years. Millions of years later we evolved from monkeys. This is just what I believe, I've never really heard it being said like this.

I also believe in the big bang theory, although it probably will not happen near the time scientists expect it to happen. Shit it might even be a totally different galaxy that collides with our galaxy than the galaxy they predict.

These are my person takes on the subject.

Well, I don't know about how the whole universe came to be... As far as earth, monkeys volved from microscopic organisms over billions of years. Millions of years later we evolved from monkeys. This is just what I believe, I've never really heard it being said like this.

We didn't evolve from monkeys. We share a common mammalian ancestor with monkeys.

I also believe in the big bang theory, although it probably will not happen near the time scientists expect it to happen. Shit it might even be a totally different galaxy that collides with our galaxy than the galaxy they predict.

The Big Bang happened 13.5 billion years ago. It's what created the universe, not what will destroy it.

Yes, the Andromeda Galaxy is on a collision course with the Milky Way, but that won't happen for another 3 billion years.

I somewhere heard that there are scientists who believe it will happen again. I believe it's a recent discovery as I was reading about it on Yahoo a few weeks ago.

BTW, what did we evolve from if not monkeys?? We haven't always been here.

I somewhere heard that there are scientists who believe it will happen again. I believe it's a recent discovery as I was reading about it on Yahoo a few weeks ago.

If there is another Big Bang, it will come after a Big Crunch, assuming the oscillatory model is correct.

BTW, what did we evolve from if not monkeys?? We haven't always been here.

We evolved from a quadruped mammal species that is now long extinct, probably something like this.

tarsierfoss.gif