My theory about the way the universe works

Magrathean

worldbuilder
Oct 14, 2005
Faculty of Science
s1.zetaboards.com
If we knew the exact properties and position of every single subatomic particle in the universe at a given point in time and if we knew everything about the behavior of said subatomic particles, we would be able to predict exactly what will happen for the rest of time. We would know what other people are thinking, who will win the next world cup and how the world ends. We would know everything.

Of course, knowing the exact properties and position of every particle in the universe is impossible, but science attempts to get us closer and closer to knowing its behavior. Unfortunately, only physicists and mathematicians (and maybe chemists) realize this.Physicists and chemists study matter (and energy, in the case of physicists) in all of its forms and structures, from subatomic particles to black holes and from the diatomic molecules in the air to the complex dna strands that exist in all of us, and mathematics study the way matter and energy behave following certain equations. But theorists from other fields don't realize this, and thus we have unnecessary pseudosciences such as statistics (which is a tool to predict (and be right in a majority of cases) very broad aspects of a system we don't know much about) and psychology (which categorizes people into different groups and makes up rules for those groups based on majority behavior observation, which is ok to a certain point but doesn't really give us any insight while it ignores the underlying electrochemical activity of the brain which causes humans to act in certain ways), and even in biology and genetics we have people sequencing entire genomes but not knowing anything about them, overexpressing a gene and saying “oh, this gene probably has something to do with this metabolic pathway”, and thinking about life as something mystical or magical or divine in nature.

Life is nothing special. What we call 'life' is just the ability of certain systems (cells, organisms) to maintain a more-or-less constant state of matter/energy exchange with other systems and to replicate themselves. What lies beneath is merely chemistry with very complex molecules: cells consume nutrients and produce other substances (which either return to the medium or are used as prime matter to grow and eventually undergo mitosis) and energy (which they use to drive all of the reactions in them). Cells interact with other cells in a physical and chemical way, and in the case of multicellular eukaryotes they act together to do the organism's activities. But there's nothing extra, there's nothing mystical, there is no “soul” which only living things have; it's all just chemical reactions, just like memory, which is coded as a network of neurons and synapses much like the instructions to make proteins are coded as dna. Thus the main question of the life sciences shouldn't be what is life?, but why sentience? Sentience is our ability to interpret signals and synapses in our brain and nerves as thoughts, emotions and senses. Thoughts, memory and emotions are coded in the brain; sight is neurochemical activity in the brain's occipital lobe triggered by the interaction between photons and photon receptors in our retina; touch is an electric pulse going from the nerves to the brain; and taste and smell are, much like sight, the interaction between molecules and the receptors in our tongues and noses. But why do we interpret them the way we do? Why are we able to think, to ask ourselves questions about the universe? Why can we feel happy or sad or angry or lonely? Why sentience? My guess is it's also coded in the brain in some way, but who knows?

Just as life is nothing more than a complex series of physicochemical reactions, everything that happens in the universe is a consequence of the properties and interactions of all particles and energy that exist. Thus, there is only one possible consequence of any specific situation, because any other consequence would be rendered impossible by the way the universe --matter and energy-- is structured and works. The obvious conclusion to this affirmation is that the whole fate of everything that exists was determined since the big bang (or before, if anything existed before). It also follows that there is only one universe, as the universe is everything that exists and there can only be one “everything” (the universe isn't a place, it is the collection of all particles in existence and the empty space between them; thus, if we traveled to the edge of the universe --to the place where if we look one way we see the whole universe and if we look the other way we see nothing because there is, in fact, nothing-- and took one more step we wouldn't be walking out of the universe, but rather expanding it, becoming the new edge (or part of it anyway); we can't leave the universe because we are part of the universe), and this in turn means that there is only one reality (no parallel universes and no “what if everything is just a dream and we don't really exist?”). To believe in multiple realities is to believe in multiple universes with different laws, but why should a hydrogen atom behave one way here and another way in another place?

I disagree with.. just about everything. Imo you take huge leaps of logic.

I ain't gona read that crap (thanks for pinnaclifying it for me, dear Siren), just uno mas point fo you to consider:

the world revolves around moi.

THE END.

I disagree with that because it takes away the basic thing that makes us alive: free will, choice to do in certain moments what we want in THAT moment, not just be puppets on the string of physics, chemics and whatnot.
I do believe that we are made of complex chemical, neuron connections, but what that connections make and what makes humans special is their result: feelings, thoughts...and I don't believe ONLY those connections are enough for that. There is something else, whether we call it „soul“, „heart“ or any other name, but I really believe it exists and we're not just a bunch of chemical reactions.
I don't believe we'll ever be any closer to understand human life in scientific sense, it's core and what does make it special. We can explain why this and that chemical process works in that exact way, but we'll never be able to explain why it can have so many results, simply because it's results can't be put in simple scientific frame. You can't squeeze all life into formula, because a „formula“ is made with every moment of our life.
About parallel universes: I also don't believe in them, reality is this, but I'm certain that we'll also never be able to reveal all mysteries of universe, simply because some things are just out of human reach...and ultimately, maybe it is better that way.

I actually agree with undo, but if you believe in determinism it has some consequneces... life doesn't really have a meaning and also people are allowed to do anything since there is no morality.

@plinty: no prob, babe. and i like your theory about the universe. :p

@Undo: another point for you to consider: what is love? are you saying here, in front of rincewind, that your love for her is nothing more but a bunch of chemical reactions? ;) if so, why are you willing to make such big sacrifices for it/her? and why hasn't she killed you yet? :p

Siren said:
are you saying here, in front of rincewind, that your love for her is nothing more but a bunch of chemical reactions?
My theory doesn't allow for infinite things to exist, since it states that the universe is finite, so no, my love for Ivana doesn't fit into that theory.

Siren said:
why are you willing to make such big sacrifices for it/her?
Because i love her, even though she doesn't love me.

Siren said:
and why hasn't she killed you yet?
She has been doing just that for the last four-and-a-half hours.

On the subject of absolute knowledge and prediction, there are only two senarios of what will happen when one obtains them. Let's assume that one has predicted a situation A in a near future. Now he has two and only two choices: 1. To act along that situation A 2. To act against it. The first choice automatically renders the prediction useless, that person is just a helpless lamb following the path set out for him, there is no need to know that path. The second choice renders the prediction inaccurate, because he failed to predict his acting against that situation A. Thus, absolute knowledge, to humans, is either useless, since it won't offer any change to the present state, or unobtainable, since obtaining that knowledge would create more knowledge to know.

On the subject of sentience, who cares what that is. No matter what we think it is, we would still be concious. We would still see, hear, taste, feel, smell, and sense tiny little changes in the magnetic field around us, or create our own magnetic changes. And seeing all those problem revolving around cloning, I think knowing the exact human biochemistry would bring more political and moral problem to the people, maybe more than benefits. (Yes, I watch a bit too much of Gundam Seed. :D)

On the subject of parallel universes, they do not have to behave differently. They can be the different facades of one single "megadimension", much like the different faces of a cube, or different edges of a ploygon. But since space-time isn't linear, as proven in relativity and quantum physics, there is no telling how many faces there can be, or at all.

On the subject of soul, whatever you choose to call it, it exists, and that's what different us from other things in the universe. Be it some magical aura or complexity in our neurosystem, it's undeniably there.

On the subject of love, I'm ok with it being only some electrochemical reactions in my brain, but it won't change my feelings for the one I love so much.

UndoControl said:
my love for Ivana doesn't fit into that theory.
UndoControl said:
my theory about the way the universe works
UndoControl said:
the universe is everything that exists
If we take all these into account and the fact that your love for Ivana is included in everything that exists, thus is part of the universe, you just blew up your own theory. :)

UndoControl said:
Because i love her, even though she doesn't love me.
I think she loves you very much. :)

Siren said:
If we take all these into account and the fact that your love for Ivana is included in everything that exists, thus is part of the universe, you just blew up your own theory. :)

Because he was been cute, since in his theory, the universe is only finite, yet he states his love for Rince is infinite, thus it doesn't fit.:)

On the subject of infinity: it exists, metaphysically, and it's very cool.

Siren said:
If we take all these into account and the fact that your love for Ivana is included in everything that exists, thus is part of the universe, you just blew up your own theory.

Go easy on him...much better theories crumbled into pieces in front of love :D

Siren said:
I think she loves you very much. :)

You can bet on that with every predictable and unpredictable particle in universe :)

Rincewind said:
Go easy on him...much better theories crumbled into pieces in front of love :D
Oh well... He can see this as a chance to improve his theory. :D

Rincewind said:
You can bet on that with every predictable and unpredictable particle in universe :)
:)

If we all knew what would happen in our life, i think it would just be boring, and depressing. its more fun the way it is.

And I dont care about how the universe works. There are much more important things in my mind... and other problems to resolve on the earth than can change more things in people's life than knowing how the universe actully works.