Theory in Practice - The Armageddon Theories

RETIREDTrapped

New Metal Member
Sep 12, 2001
This is my favourite of the Theory in Practice releases. The album begins with Dehumanized, and boy is this track awesome. There is alot of sweeping and shredding on this track, especially at the start... and it comes across as Black Metal in terms of atmosphere, mainly because the chordal progressions at the start are borrowed from newer Emperor or Dimmu Borgir, but they are pulled off with alot more speed and technicality as opposed to just bar chords. The song then goes into an Atheist-style riff for the verse, and progresses into short breaks of a passage like that of the intro... And this is only about a minute into the track! The whole rest of the album is just as dense as this, and there is just so much going on that i won't even attempt to describe it all. There is even a bit at 3:20 in submissive that could have fitted onto an old Fear Factory album... The Armageddon Theories is so deep musicially that you can't help but pay attention to what they are doing, and unlike some other progressive bands (ie: Dream Theater), they manage to hold your attention perfectly throughout the whole track, and ultimately the whole cd.

The big letdown on this release is the vocals, and when i say they suck, i mean they really REALLY suck. If you were to take the vocals from the worst vocal-moment of a live Kreator concert, make sure the singer had a cold AND throat cancer, and then throw in a bit of an accent, then you have Theory In Practice's vocalist.... And that was being generous...!

But seriously, if you can deal with bad death vocals like Kreator, Atheist or Immortal, then you can (hopefully) get past them when it comes to Theory in Practice, and be immersed in this intense listening experience... this is Cynic and Gordian Knot pushed up a notch, tuned down a bit, and sped up on countless drugs, if it's a technical death fix you're after, this album is for you. I still can't get half of this stuff through my head, and the only song i've even attemped to play myself is dehumanized, and that is simply because it is probably the least technical from the album, and even then i've got my chops running at full speed, and then some.

Awesome album, but bad vocals and a bit of a sorry production (Both the original and the remastered versions have a shocking production, but hey, alot of metal does, and i can get past that after a few listens), The Armageddon Theories deserves a 10/10 for sheer skill and technicality, but deserves about a 3/10 for anything else to do with the album.

!Metal! :headbang:

-Trapped

I'm personally not into colonizing the sun as much as Armageddon, they're two totally different albums really... i might do a review of CTS later...

-Kegan

i havent heard all of armageddon yet, heard most of colonizing the sun, and there first album iv found all the songs too.... iv gotta say i have no clue which album i like best , but they seem to be getting more technical, anyway this is eisly the most intresting and most exciting up and coming band im into, cant wait to find all there albums. this is THE band... sence Death is no more . im hopping these boyz will fill in the reigns...

Just for sure , I want to know the time of duration of the album??:D

I love both "Colonizing The Sun" & "The Armageddon Theories" about the same amount! But yes they are 2 different sounding releases! Theory In Practice are probabaly one of my favorite bands out there right now! The musicianship is so unreal! Very mechanical but it still flows with alot of feeling! I think Peter Lake is probably one of the best Guitar players I've heard since Jason Becker & Steve Vai! He should be on the cover of Guitar World! Very talented & so underrated! What he is doing is so amazing! I've never heard their very 1st release! But I'm sure it Rules! How do I go about obtaining it?
Also has anyone ever heard their side Black metal project which I believe is called MUTANT?

yeah the first reliese is called Third Eye Function, and its awesome, it sounds different then bolth albums , and reminds me abit more of Death/Cynic...

deffinatly pick it up... i love track 1 2 3 off it, So Headbanging :D

My favorite TIP album so far.
"Third Eye Function" sounded a bit to much Messuggah for my taste and "Colonizing The Sun" lacks the energy of "The Armageddon Theories", it's more straightforward.
Henrik's drumming is fucking amazing, to bad he quit playing the drums in TIP.

Originally posted by vengeance
it is strange that Henrik would step down from the drums & just concentrate on vocals! He's an amazing drummer! But the new guy is really good as well!

Yeah it's strange.
I was actually very surprised that Patrik was that good cause I'm not impressed by his work with Azotic Reign, he's flawless in TIP imo.