There might be hope for metal just yet...

This is true, but let's be honest. What's better, the latest Killswitch Engage or This Godless Endeavor? A7X or Nile? Emperor's weakest album, "Prometheus", which I thought was great, nonetheless or Unearth?

Of course, it's a matter of taste, but there was a period in which phenomenal albums were being put out one after another, and all I'm saying is that it seems like we're returning to that stage again with the decline of metalcore. We have the new Nile, Behemoth, Zyklon, Anaal Nathrakh, Devin Townsend, Divine Heresy (which I just listened to...wow!), The Vision Bleak, Shining, and lots more.

This thread somehow got turned into "the metal scene sucks now", when that was never mentioned. In fact, the title suggests just the opposite; it's back and better than ever. For those of you who thought it was phenomenal in the past two or three years, I disagree. There were a handful of good albums, but now bands are churning out really great and original stuff by the truckload. It's good to see people burning the bandwagon.
I think you're overthinking it. If there's good metal coming out, what's the point of complaining about the bad stuff? It's not like you're forced to listen to it. Just enjoy the stuff you enjoy and be happy.

I've also just decided that I like Tommy Vext's vocals better than Burton C. Bells. Yay for Divine Heresy!

I think you're overthinking it. If there's good metal coming out, what's the point of complaining about the bad stuff? It's not like you're forced to listen to it. Just enjoy the stuff you enjoy and be happy.

I've also just decided that I like Tommy Vext's vocals better than Burton C. Bells. Yay for Divine Heresy!

I wasn't complaining, it was just an observation. It seemed to me that there was a downward trend for a couple of years, but again, that's just me.

It's also not too much of a stretch of the imagination for me to overthink something, though :lol:.

But then again, I hardly think I'm the only one on this board guilty of overthinking something.

I'm so glad I live in a parallel universe where metal never died and plenty of bands have been putting out incredible albums every year. The selective memories resulting from nostalgia cause one to think there was less crap in the past, but it's always there, learn to ignore it as well in the present.

I can play this game too:

What's better, chocolate chip cookies or dirty toilet seats?

I'm not saying there was less crap...just less great, phenomenal stuff. There's a difference...to me, at least.

I wasn't complaining, it was just an observation. It seemed to me that there was a downward trend for a couple of years, but again, that's just me.

It's also not too much of a stretch of the imagination for me to overthink something, though :lol:.

But then again, I hardly think I'm the only one on this board guilty of overthinking something.
I know you're not complaining, and I'm not singling you out. I'm speaking in general terms here. I just feel like if people didn't perpetuate this kind of attitude (ahh this type of stuff sucks and this type of stuff is so much better) we might not have such negative outlooks on everything. Ultimately all music is subjective and just because 99 out of 100 people might think something sucks, there's still one person that truly likes it and that justifies it's existence as far as I'm concerned.

I just think arguing (or even just talking) about music negatively is pointless and unnecessary and results EVERY TIME in nothing more than wasted energy that could have been spent enjoying something instead. I can tell that this was your intention when you started the thread (talking about enjoying albums) and it stinks that it turned into what it did haha. It pretty much always does though. I think your thread title and finishing sentence are what set if off though.

I don't know... maybe I'm overthinking it too.

The internet is how i find metal these days, cause tv sucks. so i already know how to find good metal and spit out that watermelon seeds that is crap.. and dead winter, you stole my sig... but it's okay. it's a great fuckin' line!!!

I'm pretty happy with a lot of recent releases (although I do prefer 80's metal overall).
Melechesh is one of my favorite bands, Enochian Crescent (pick up Black Church), Loch Vostok's Destruction Time Again, Scott Mosher, Orphaned Land, Time Requiem, Winds, pretty much anything on Lion Records (especially Seventh Wonder and Tomorrow's Eve) and Galy Records (like Augury or Martyr), the last Manes and Wolverine albums (although not metal anymore), Pantheon I, Memoria (kind of like an acoustic Opeth), Fortid etc.

Nice to see another Fortid fan I never see them mentioned anywhere.

The internet is how i find metal these days, cause tv sucks. so i already know how to find good metal and spit out that watermelon seeds that is crap.. and dead winter, you stole my sig... but it's okay. it's a great fuckin' line!!!

Did you have that sig in first? How gay of me not to notice. I'll change it immediately!

Kevin, have you heard the new Malignancy yet?

You should play it on your show, it rules!

"hope for metal" I think there is always hope for metal...

I got amazing albums myself lately that make me feel the same way...
but they are oh so different than yours, Dead Winter ;)

Anata - The Conductor's Departure
Malignancy - Inhuman Grotesqueries
Gojira - The Link
Anaal Nathrakh - Eschaton
The Legion - Revocation
Nefastus Dies - Urban Cancer

I also got the the latest The End but boy, have they chage their style...

Kevin, any thoughts? :D

Kevin, have you heard the new Malignancy yet?

You should play it on your show, it rules!

"hope for metal" I think there is always hope for metal...

I got amazing albums myself lately that make me feel the same way...
but they are oh so different than yours, Dead Winter ;)

Anata - The Conductor's Departure
Malignancy - Inhuman Grotesqueries
Gojira - The Link
Anaal Nathrakh - Eschaton
The Legion - Revocation
Nefastus Dies - Urban Cancer

I also got the the latest The End but boy, have they chage their style...

Kevin, any thoughts? :D

I haven't heard it yet, but I've heard good things about it. Is it in the same style as their older stuff? Because... good as it was... I'm just not totally into that kind of death metal anymore. I still love the shit out of it, but it's not going to occupy any sort of majority of my music listening time. If they've gotten more technical and varied musically, then I'll especially like it since they've progressed from what they were.

As for everything else... The Link is is my favorite Gojira album, just for all the off time, unpredictable quirkiness about it, but especially the ultra heaviness of it too. That band is just simply heavier than any other I've ever heard.

I really dug The Legion's stuff that I've heard so far, but I didn't know they had a new one out. They never really seemed like death metal to me, but more like a "more brutal than grim" kind of black metal. I will need to hear this new one! I especially enjoy the aggressiveness and straight forward pummeling style.

Aside from Malignancy, the rest of those bands I've never heard.

Recently I've really been digging on the latest Textures album, the new Neaera, The Faceless, and new Nile. Despised Icon's new one rules too.

I love Eschaton, but I think I prefer Domine Non Es Dignus. The Link is quite awesome as well, but anything Gojira touches turns to gold for me.

ziltoid is the album of the year so far for me, easily. amazing album by devin after a disappointing synchestra

Really? It's a pity you don't appreciate that album, for I think it's easily one of his best. Fantastic stuff.

As for the current metal scene, I'm content enough with it; though lack of finances means I find it difficult to keep up as often as I'd like. :lol: :erk:

Definitely check out Anata. Some of the best tech-death out there right now. The Conductors Departure is excellent
"Tech" and "Death" are two words that I really like to see next to each other. What's their Myspace page, and are there tunes from this new one up there?

Word.