Thick clanky Bass

Shaun Werle

Dec 30, 2009
Brodheadsville PA
So i have tried time after time to get a thick and clanky bass tone but i just can't seem to find what i am looking for. I know someone is going to come in here and have something rude to say. (Because this is a Sturgis mix) but you can't deny this is one the meaniest bass tones you've ever heard. Well i feel that way. Same with the new MMI album. Ridiculous bass tone.

My question isn't how do i get this exact tone?! But i am curious on how to get my bass this prominent and clanky?

Go into my last thread if you wanna hear my latest work. Thank you guys

Last edited by a moderator:
The right bass player and instrument is 90% of the equation. The post-processing tools only serve to bring out and enhance what's already there. You need someone that pounds the instrument like it's a $2 whore, and an action that will give you a ton of fret buzz (it may sound retarded when you think about it rationally, but fret buzz is actually a great thing on metal bass tones). The right bass is pivotal. I've recorded with a variety of them, and a good all-round combination is an Ash bass with EMGs. DC40s, P5s, whatever, as long as they're clangy.

Unless you can listen to the raw DI and get hard, you've already lost.

With bass guitar it is 90% of the sound in the player and instrument. A friend of mine tracked a funk, pop, indie band with a bass player-girl who played a musicman. He tracked only a pre compressed di and used another di with the ampeg plugin. It was one of best basstones I ever heard!!!

using the right bass/right pickups is definitely key

The right bass player and instrument is 90% of the equation. The post-processing tools only serve to bring out and enhance what's already there. You need someone that pounds the instrument like it's a $2 whore, and an action that will give you a ton of fret buzz (it may sound retarded when you think about it rationally, but fret buzz is actually a great thing on metal bass tones). The right bass is pivotal. I've recorded with a variety of them, and a good all-round combination is an Ash bass with EMGs. DC40s, P5s, whatever, as long as they're clangy.

Unless you can listen to the raw DI and get hard, you've already lost.

awesome player, good bass and new strings make 91% of the tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JEOtIVHrw4

With bass guitar it is 90% of the sound in the player and instrument. A friend of mine tracked a funk, pop, indie band with a bass player-girl who played a musicman. He tracked only a pre compressed di and used another di with the ampeg plugin. It was one of best basstones I ever heard!!!

yeah thanks for the input guys! It's such a pain getting bands in here who have old shitty basses and the strings are old as fuck. It is disgusting recording them and i usually tell them i won't do it.
What would your suggestions on action and gauges for low ass tunings, I am not a bass player so that's probably the area where i lack the most in instruments. Thank you for putting up with the AA Vid hahah it was a bold move

sweet chorus/sick bass
mmm....sacrilicious
homer-drool.gif

Thats like Meshuggahs bass. The closest I came to getting that tone is running a clean boosting the lows a ton and then take the same performance and put it in another track running a high gain amp and boosting the hi's :D

check out some of the bass tones coming from a place called the panda studios! reallly freakkkinnggg amazing!

Love the bass rattle comments.

Bands tell me all the time, "well if I pick like that you get fret buzz"
my response is, "If every note is not buzzing we re-do it"

Hey Shaun, this is a bit off topic but quick question:

Our drummer said he spoke to his buddy recently, and dudes band recorded with "2 dudes from Effort" and said they were nazis about tracking. Didn't get a name of the band or name of producer, but I thought it may have been you and your bro. Figured I'd throw it out there. I heard it came out really good sounding.

might be a really really dumb question, but to all the guys that split the bass into DI (lows) and ampsim (highs).....do you add an impulse after the sim? what's your favorite? the catharsis ones are my go-to impulses for guitar nowadays, but i'm unsure about bass.
also, what if you're reamping it through an distortion pedal of some sort....still adding an impulse?