Thick clanky Bass

not 100% sure, but if this track is from the latest AA album, i was present for a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiny smidge of the bass tracking, and saw a fender jazz bass being tracked direct thru joey's APIs

not 100% sure, but if this track is from the latest AA album, i was present for a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiny smidge of the bass tracking, and saw a fender jazz bass being tracked direct thru joey's APIs

o_- i was gonna say, and i'm surprised no one else has mentioned... that i'd bet he just programmed the bass with trilian. that's what it sounds like to me. in that case, the j-bass DI's would've only been present just for reference/scratch/writing. but i could be wrong, maybe it's a real jazz.

either way...yeah, the clank is 100% in the instrument. the DI's will sound like that immediately, straight into your DI, if you have the right bass in the right hands.

pick up a squier jazz, they're legit amazing for the cashola. totally worth it for any studio regardless of if you're a bass player or not.

Fragle said:
might be a really really dumb question, but to all the guys that split the bass into DI (lows) and ampsim (highs).....do you add an impulse after the sim? what's your favorite? the catharsis ones are my go-to impulses for guitar nowadays, but i'm unsure about bass.
also, what if you're reamping it through an distortion pedal of some sort....still adding an impulse?

+1

I was wondering this too

It's the same trick with the Emmure album! Sounds really good, I find.

the idea is to eliminate the note entirely from the original bass track, and replace it with the clean sine. you treat the original bass track like any other bass track, add grit or distortion or whatever you wanna do, even apply normal eq's like you would. then at the end of the chain, high pass the shit out of it and then low pass at the same frequency on the sine wave

Just write the bass parts out in MIDI and then place it in. And I'd put a bit of chorus at the 2-8 k range. Also as everybody else has been saying, get new strings.

And it was with a Fender Jazz bass,

29 seconds in you can see Caleb of Attack Attack! recording a breakdown with a Fender JB.

Last edited by a moderator:
that video looks slip edited :lol:

naw but surprisingly tight takes, i would've assumed all those chugga parts were mouse-assembled in order to achieve joey standard tightness.

Remember sturgis uses the sine wav trick as well that gives his bass the brutal lows... Im sure the highs are amp sim... The clank comes from fret buzz& new strings as stated the strings hsve to be loose... The balls is a sine wav...

Just saw this was discussed on the 2nd page sorry to repeat lol

anyone has some sine wave generator vst for free or something?

rbass, while certainly not free, does more or less the same thing...generates creamy low-end fundamental harmonics on any track you insert it on. i've used it on DI tracks before, but make sure you have a careful monitoring environment, shit gets real intense real quick.

although programming some low end buttery sine waves would be more tightly in tune, than a real guitar, theoretically. i'd never heard of this method before o_0

"joey could u tell is why caleb is doing the bass?"
"no, i wont tell you."

hehe.

I think Caleb is responsible for the majority of the clanky though. Listen My Ticket Home- Desertion and it's a similar story.

Are you saying make two bass (duplicated) one low passed and one High passed, Throw Rbass or whatever on the bottom end, and throw an amp sim on the higher one?
Please elaborate, lul

Hey Shaun, this is a bit off topic but quick question:

Our drummer said he spoke to his buddy recently, and dudes band recorded with "2 dudes from Effort" and said they were nazis about tracking. Didn't get a name of the band or name of producer, but I thought it may have been you and your bro. Figured I'd throw it out there. I heard it came out really good sounding.

I am the Nazi Tracker. If you could find out the band name it would help. Now i am just trying to think of a band i did two songs for. I moved to effort about 3 months ago.

If it doesn't take a millions hours of tracking I probably didn't do it

rbass, while certainly not free, does more or less the same thing...generates creamy low-end fundamental harmonics on any track you insert it on. i've used it on DI tracks before, but make sure you have a careful monitoring environment, shit gets real intense real quick.

although programming some low end buttery sine waves would be more tightly in tune, than a real guitar, theoretically. i'd never heard of this method before o_0

yeah... rbass is pretty fucking cool

Shaun you have to know what the frequency of the note is & go to audiosuite... Select a piece of time & generate a sine wav... I believe its in the "other" tab