Think there will be an obvious difference?

LosingReality

Oct 6, 2007
Columbus GA
So i bought a M-audio profire 610 the other day (got it rediculously cheap on ebay) right now i currently use the M-audio mobilepre usb.....usb is version 1.

So my question....am i going to hear an obvious difference between these 2? What should i be hearing in terms of a difference?

Being the Mobile pre is $129 and USB1.....The profire is firewire, better pres/converters (supposedly) and $400 bucks. I would expect a good deal of change....anyone else think so?

Thanks!

BTW, im gonna do a shoot out with these....probably a blind one. Where i will just move the xlr cables from each and keep everything else the same to get a good comparison. I should have the profire in the next few days.

Possibly, the main difference I heard when I went from my Edirol UA-25 to a Focusrite Saffire Pro 10/IO was the clarity in vocals. That was the big difference, in guitars you might not hear it as much but you know you have stepped it up in the quality department.

I'm not too sure honestly, but if there is a big difference, you would probably hear it on vocals and drums, versus guitars.

So no extra clearity or bigness (for lack of a better word lol) on guitars?

Can't be sure it will be like "holy shit my guitars sound totally awesome now" but you might notice some increased clarity, ive not noticed any "bigness" in my previous change up, but perhaps the "wider bandwidth" of the new pre's could be percieved as " increased bigness" :lol:

^ yeah makes sence.

Im happy with the Mobilepre really. Its been good to me. I just wanted somthing with fire wire since ther usb1 is outdated i guess.

Im gonna give it a comparison if i dont notice any performance from the firewire or anything sound change at all. Im gonna just stick with the mobile pre.