Thinking Of Following SOCCER

smart money this year is on barca, however i think liverpool still has a chance if they can get past chelsea (and they should)
~gR~

liverpool has a tendency to do much better in the UCL, even against england teams. they're only down by 2 away goals and they've been great in away games during the tournament. i would not be suprised if they came back and won on aggregate. plus, they want revenge from last years botched semi against chelsea.

i'm being optomistic, but they are completely capable of beating chelsea.
~gR~

Living in France, and missing real sport, I have no choice but to watch the grass ballet because it's basically the only sport there is here. I can appreciate the sublime skills involved but still it's a stupid game for the following reasons:

1) It's too low scoring (ie dull)
2) Which also means it's easier for a bad team to beat or equal a good team if they score one lucky goal
3) the players are pussies. I saw a game the other week where a guy got taken off on a stretcher and five minutes later he was back. I'm used to Australian football where if you get on a stretcher you pretty much want to have a broken leg or be unconscious.
4) there's no team culture - what I mean is it's solely money-driven, the best teams are inevitably those with the most money, as opposed to a number of other sports where there is at least some correlation with developing home-grown players.

it's high scoring sports that are dull. it's like hey they scored again, who gives a shit

2) Which also means it's easier for a bad team to beat or equal a good team if they score one lucky goal

makes it more exciting. the good team beats the bad team 95% of the time anyway, and the end of season table always reflects quality

3) the players are pussies. I saw a game the other week where a guy got taken off on a stretcher and five minutes later he was back. I'm used to Australian football where if you get on a stretcher you pretty much want to have a broken leg or be unconscious.

yeah, most football fans hate that shit though, didn't used to be that way. there are still some players who are hard as nails, for example nemanja the terminator vidic!

4) there's no team culture - what I mean is it's solely money-driven, the best teams are inevitably those with the most money, as opposed to a number of other sports where there is at least some correlation with developing home-grown players.

well yeah it's becoming more and more of a business, so is pretty much every other team sport though. utd's dominance in the '90s was down to our home grown legends (L)

I think this is an advantage football has over other sports. I really dislike high scoring sports in general because a goal/score doesnt mean as much as it does in football. Here a goal is something rather special and it makes it more interesting.

It can happen but rarely does. I actually think its way harder for a bas football team to win over a good team compared to a bad hockey team getting a win over a good one.

Yes this is very fair critique. Its not about the players being pussies though. They try to gain advantages of free kicks and penalty kicks. Some leagues/traditions in football are worse than others. In Italy I believe its very common while England and Scotland is way more rough and the referees dont give falling players as much as they do in Italy for example.

Seems like this is true in most sports unfortunately. But yeah football is very money driven and loads of teams are owned by millionaire sheiks and such. Sad but true.

Both sports are a bunch of guys trying to put an object past a man guarding a net. The team that does this more times wins. Sounds pretty similar to me.

Good thing I dont have to argue with you. You make yourself look more stupid than I ever could :)

I'm replying to both TheInsane and wainds.

The only sport you are talking about is basketball. Where a lot of baskets are made, and there are a ton of points scored. You can't claim American football has too many points scored (unless you're the Colts ldo) in each game because the points for a touchdown and a field goal are just a lot bigger than single points for a goal. Most American football games don't go over 25 points for each team anyways, which is like 5 scores total or so. Almost like a baseball really. They just don't score their "goals" in multiples of 1 is all.

I don't have a comment about the 2nd point.

I think the 3rd point is a pretty legit argument. Soccer players are big bitches man. Faking an injury to try and score more points or creat an unfair advantage for your team is called CHEATING. Fuck cheaters.

As for the 4th point, yeah, it's generally about the money for the most part, but there are a lot of sports who actually have a bit of personality attached to them though, unlike soccer.