Thinking of moving to a 2x12

Yeah I was thinking about a Zilla Fatboy for quite a while but its the same dimentions as the recto and ive been "skipping" recto cabs for so long now I thought fuck it, if its going to be a 2x12 it will be the OS mesa.

Im not into impulses, I like getting the flashlight and experimenting each time I record, not flick a switch with somebodys pre-positioned cab ready and waiting. No offence to the impulse users, but id rather 2x12 it. Ola gets fine tones from a 2x12 which is one of the smallest they do IE furthest from a 4x12 possible.

Ive not tried any home made stuff yet, those great gramma boards do look nice though.

Yeah I was thinking about a Zilla Fatboy for quite a while but its the same dimentions as the recto and ive been "skipping" recto cabs for so long now I thought fuck it, if its going to be a 2x12 it will be the OS mesa.

Im not into impulses, I like getting the flashlight and experimenting each time I record, not flick a switch with somebodys pre-positioned cab ready and waiting. No offence to the impulse users, but id rather 2x12 it. Ola gets fine tones from a 2x12 which is one of the smallest they do IE furthest from a 4x12 possible.

Ive not tried any home made stuff yet, those great gramma boards do look nice though.

Yeah, you can definitely get great sounds from a 2x12s.
It seems it's just a matter of whether the individual feels it's worth the extra work to get them to sound good.
If you feel it is, and you get the benefit of the smaller space the 2x12 takes up, all power to you.

Some guys use those puzzle mats for decoupling their cabs from the floor. It's basically a mat made out of foam. They're dirt cheap( 20euro or so for 4) and I've heard they work great. Got some during the christmas for doing martial arts on but haven't gotten to re-amp with them yet.
Other people just use 2 cinder blocks. Pretty sure thats what jason suecof and mark use, they're guitars sound great.

Personally some of the tones I've been happiest with I got with 2X12's. As long as the cab is decent you should still be able to get a killer tone.

Yeah good suggestions....even if I did get a 2x12 id probs still attempt to decouple it from the floor.

Id also assume the recto 2x12 would be darker and less fizzy than my marshall? Somebody said in his opinion the 2x12 sounds inbetween a 4x12 OS and 4x12 Trad, as far as mid to scoop ratio goes.

The Fatboy is bigger than the Mesa 2x12, esp the horizontal one. It's deeper, too, which contributes a lot to it's tone!

Hmm? Going off the specs of each site:

Mesa 2x12:

44.45cm H
76.52cm W
36.20cm D

Zilla FB:

470 H
760 W
360 D

Its a bit taller, though ive never heard one so its a bit of a shot in the dark as to if I would get one. Despite the sizes, you can have a custom Zilla made up....still Mesa seem to have gotten something right with their cabs.

I think some of the people here are probably underestimating the recto 2x12. The majority of people on this forum seem to prefer the recto 4x12 over every other 4x12....... It probably has a lot to do with the deep design and the actual mesa V30s themselves... so, if you're going to talk about 2x12s, you should probably say which 2x12s you actually played. I don't think a harley benton 2x12 or something like that is going to sound anywhere near as good as a recto 2x12... Besides, we've all heard Ola's roadster 2x12 clips, which sound pretty good, and I generally like the recto 4x12 over the traditional sized mesa 4x12 (probably similar to the roadster 2x12)...... so, I think there's a really good chance the recto 2x12 would sound pretty great.

Ive never played a 2x12 before, but I think your quite right. It has to be a quality 2x12 at the end of the day!

Hopefully I can sell my 4x12 and pick up the Mesa second hand if possible.

Its said that the vertical version is quite a different beast, id need the horizontal to fit my 2 heads ontop of anyway :lol: Still expensive as hell in the UK though! :( Can't find any mic'd clips of either though :mad:

That could be true, but I owned a vertical Mesa 2x12 (waaay bigger than any other 2x12), and I was amazed at how much more powerful, punchy, ballsy, and tight the 4x12 sounded. There's something about all four speakers firing that really helps.

Ah, yeah. I remember you talking about that with me on AIM before now.

I'd still like to try the recto 2x12 sometime though. Would be great to be able to move around in my small car, and of course as a 3/4th stack on top of the 4x12. lol

Can you run your current cab in stereo mode?
That way only 2 speakers are being used, and you could flip it on its side to get the horizontal thing happening

Its said that the vertical version is quite a different beast, id need the horizontal to fit my 2 heads ontop of anyway :lol: Still expensive as hell in the UK though! :( Can't find any mic'd clips of either though :mad:

Didn't notice you use two heads, don't worry about my last post