This forum

But I'm thinking of coming back.

If you do I think you should start fresh with a different user name. Not to hide your identity, of course, just because "GONEhyena" is ugly, and since all your current threads and posts have been re-assigned to it anyway there's no huge advantage in terms of search possibilities in registering hyena again.

For all the differences we've had and stuff.. your return is probably the best ting to happen to this board in quite a while

Agreed. except for the typo.

Your return is a wonderful thing and making it permanent would be even greater.

As for name propositions, well indeed GONEhyena is horrible so I suggest something in the lines of "Italian Stallion". Well, "Italian Mare" I mean.

Then again, Fluffy Kitty sounds very cute, too.

Hail Satan?

I thought that might help with the name changes going on. In case anyone is subject to sub- and hyperliminal suggestions.

I'll shut up now, but welcome back Rampage-y... Still not musical enough, I'll have to work on it.

If you do I think you should start fresh with a different user name. Not to hide your identity, of course, just because "GONEhyena" is ugly, and since all your current threads and posts have been re-assigned to it anyway there's no huge advantage in terms of search possibilities in registering hyena again.

i was actually thinking of having this account renamed as just plain hyena again. shouldn't be a problem for the admins.

and thanks for the good words, everyone.

This forum is perfect as it is. It definitely is not lifeless, just smaller and more private than most other forums. The quality of the regulars here is higher than in any other forum.

Just a thought, as someone who only posts here occasionally... DT is a band that has hundreds of thousands of fans, yet this forum is pretty much the domain of a couple of people who have in common the fact that they are DT fans. DT is a big band compared to a lot of the smaller bands on UM, yet the regulars here keep a close watch on this forum, which to me appears to be bordering harassment. I don't mean to say any of you individually are bad people or that you do it intentionally, but this is the least friendly forum on UM. Hands down. Guys like this poster come in, say, OH MY GOD DT IS MY FAVORITE BAND EVER, and you respond by telling him the DT forum is basically a private club. Literally, private.

Don't you guys think you're monopolizing a band forum simply because you're regulars? I'm not going to assume that bands have x or y intentions when they start up a forum, but if it was to have their fans come in here and post threads and replies about DT, it's not happening, and it's because of responses like the one quoted above. Again, this isn't directed at anyone is particular, because it's good when a forum can self-moderate for quality control, but I can tell you personally that even though DT has been one of my favorite bands for a decade, I don't feel like this is a good place to post anything related to the band at all.

I know that some people here (that includes me) tend to be somewhat arrogant sometimes, but it probably is the only way to keep this forum the one with, in my opinion, the highest quality of people, posts and discussions.
Maybe it could be criticized that this is done in an official forum, but this is just the place all these people here found each other.
It also is not that difficult for a newbie to settle here. The best example for that is me.
The forum here also is not that unfriendly. There are rarely any insults here and whenever there are any those people are immediately criticized for it (last example Misanthrope).
Just take a look at the In Flames forum here for example where that kind of behavior is normal and serious threads are getting hijacked after a couple of posts.

Yay, Hyena is coming back.

I'm not going to assume that bands have x or y intentions when they start up a forum, but if it was to have their fans come in here and post threads and replies about DT, it's not happening, and it's because of responses like the one quoted above.

Threads and replies about DT broadly fall into three categories:
1. words of praise or criticism
2. facts and news about the band
3. logistics concerning forthcoming shows.

Recent threads can show there's an abundance of messages concerning number 3 on the list here. As for number 1 and 2, while the purpose of an official discussion board might have been just that back in 2001, it seems to me things have changed. A lot. Messages of the first kind are better off on Myspace pages, blogs, guest books on a band's site, while messages of the second kind rarely manage to create a discussion, with a few notable exceptions (such as: track list for new record is out).

As for the vast crowds of DT fans being underrepresented here, I believe the average demographic of DT fans is much, much less oriented towards spending a lot of time chatting than, say, In Flames' target audience.

Not that your remarks about this place being a little off-putting are wrong, mind you.

@rahvin: i requested the reverse change of my nickname yesterday, now let's see if they will do it (not sure as apparently there's only one nickname change for free, the others you have to pay for, but maybe this is a special case?). if they don't, i will create a different account.

as for the forum quality discussion, i'm not sure that we the regulars are all that unfriendly. we might be so amongst ourselves, occasionally, but i have honestly never seen a massive pile-up against any newbie in the 6 years or so hanging around this place. it's true that the mod will not tolerate messages of the OMG!!!111 variety, but i think he's right in doing that; allow that for six months, and any forum becomes a pile of spam.

as for the relative scarcity band-related discussion, i'm quite convinced that rahvin is right in mentioning demographics as a major reason. dark tranquillity is not a new band. most of us got into them ages ago, when we were younger and more prone to spend our days trying to dissect the meaning of the lyrics. there is nothing wrong with such a pastime; on the contrary, i think it is a very interesting and stimulating way to while away afternoons when a student. but in the intervening years we just ended up having less time on our hands for such endeavors and, well, maybe we're more preoccupied with other stuff as time goes by.

the younger generations probably spend their time dissecting the lyrics of newer bands; the music industry is, generally speaking, pretty much about new releases, and although this applies to other genres more than it does to metal, it's still a factor. a metal fan born in 1993 will not instinctively and immediately turn to records that were released on the same year (say, right now i do appreciate musicians such as alice cooper, who were around long before i was born, but this was not the case when i was a teenager). i always hope that we can get the occasional young interpreter of lyrics onboard, and i concur on the fact that a bit more activity could be appreciated, but it's not that tragic. matse's right: he's a newbie, and we embraced him even if he didn't win the newbie of the year award. :p

Guys like this poster come in, say, OH MY GOD DT IS MY FAVORITE BAND EVER, and you respond by telling him the DT forum is basically a private club. Literally, private.

when a newcomer posts in the newbie thread like, "hello, i'm new here. DT IS GREAT", then i don't think he/she will be humiliated. forum rules are to be read, but i think these metalheads don't appreciate rules :p

sometimes when i listen to projector in the middle of the night, i go crazy and shout at DT's last.fm page; "PROJECTOR IS GREAT, IT IS GREAT, AAAAAARRRRGHGHHGHG...."

Just a thought, as someone who only posts here occasionally... DT is a band that has hundreds of thousands of fans, yet this forum is pretty much the domain of a couple of people who have in common the fact that they are DT fans. DT is a big band compared to a lot of the smaller bands on UM, yet the regulars here keep a close watch on this forum, which to me appears to be bordering harassment. I don't mean to say any of you individually are bad people or that you do it intentionally, but this is the least friendly forum on UM. Hands down. Guys like this poster come in, say, OH MY GOD DT IS MY FAVORITE BAND EVER, and you respond by telling him the DT forum is basically a private club. Literally, private.

Don't you guys think you're monopolizing a band forum simply because you're regulars? I'm not going to assume that bands have x or y intentions when they start up a forum, but if it was to have their fans come in here and post threads and replies about DT, it's not happening, and it's because of responses like the one quoted above. Again, this isn't directed at anyone is particular, because it's good when a forum can self-moderate for quality control, but I can tell you personally that even though DT has been one of my favorite bands for a decade, I don't feel like this is a good place to post anything related to the band at all.

You tell em! Seriously we need more newbies like you. I'll gladly rediscuss anything DT related you'd like, its better than someone posting one new thing at the geek or movies thread and nobody reply for DAYS.

They just claim its "perfect as it is" cause its like a Nostalgia-support-machine that keeps old, rotten and gone friendships alive artificially long before they should R.I.P.

Well, I'd like to add something productive, but my concentration was shattered by the above post. Best trolling outside of that infamous imageboard. I'm impressed, as your criticisms are precise enough to be misconstrued as hurtful when they are just veiled feelings of ostracism because you can't write one positive thing (or even neutral or compromising) when your views are challenged and the rest of us reject such negativity. That being said, props for being opportunistic also.

Still, I don't care if this forum seems elitist, because that is simply not so. Its a board that the posters use to enhance their lives through intelligent conversation. Its not a board filled with pissing contests and rampant, unintelligent speculation or rumor-mongering. To put it bluntly, we're too busy for such trivialities (am I wrong in saying that?), but we enjoy the conversation when its there. We never reject anyone outright, and we don't harass. That being said, we aren't a bunch of fanboys that froth at the mouth over things that have been gone over umpteen times before, there are other times and places for that. Obviously we all like the band, or we wouldn't take the effort to find and post on their message board. Finally, if its been established that DT has a lot of fans, well, the forum registration is open, they're welcome to join and talk. No one said otherwise.

this is the least friendly forum on UM.
I have always offered cookies when someone new came in. Or at least directed them to the fridge.

Now seriously, you do have some right in the things you say, i can see how we could be more welcoming and we should try to be so, but in the cases when someone new pops in to say "hi i'm new" and then disappears forever, i don't think it's our fault.

Does this forum even have a tab thread?
It definitely needs to because I'm getting into DT alot lately and it sucks trying to find tabs for their songs...

The activity of band forums goes up and down with the activity of the band in question. When a band is touring, releasing new material, etc. people are more active. When the band is on break or hard at work on new material and we don't hear anything, people don't check-in to the forums as often. That is the nature of the beast, not something to lament.