Lyrical Confusion

ReleeShahn

New Metal Member
Nov 3, 2002
Visit site
Look at these lyrics from Abigor's Supreme Immortal Art(1998) Albums' last song Exhausted Remnants.

Silent screams - Beaten and torn
Sanctify - This life of scorn
Innocence withdrawn in fear
Night grows cold and twilight's near
But the light I see is none
Just a spectrum of unreal colours
Which appears before my eyes
For you neither to see, nor to feel
Shattered scattered - Remnants of life
What can be extracted from nothing
What can be found within the emptiness
Within the emptiness from which I am fed
I deal in pain - All life I drain
Cherished - The grandeur of melancholy
Always and never - The skyline seems so unreal
If I had wings, would I be forgiven
If I had horns, would there be flames
..To show my cry
Laughing and crying - Nothing remains
No future and no past
No one could foresee
The end has come so fast
And I reach my hand
Towards this ocean of despair
To grant my soul a lifetime in hell

What can be extracted from nothing----
What can be found within the emptiness---Dark Tranquillity - Emptiness From Which I Fed
Within the emptiness from which i am fed --
Cherished-The grandeur of melancholy--- Dark Tranquillity - Of Melancholy Burning
If i had wings,would i be forgiven---
If i had horns,would there be flames--Dark Tranquillity - Punish My Heaven
...To show my cry ---

Do these identical lyrics belong to someone else or taken from Stanne's lyrics?

:ill:
if that's what it seems, it's... a blatant rip-off?
do these people even mention in the liner notes that they've taken lines from another band's songs?

i can find no reference of these words pre-dating the gallery, and i'm sure if they were taken directly from a book or movie or other work of art this would have been mentioned by dt at some point - if not straight away.

that's a good one, releeshahn, thanks for sharing.

<Maybe Mikael should.. it took me ten minted to think of what to say for that first post...
*drinks more stuff with caffiene*
damnit I'm tired.....

Abigor also split up this year.I really adored them.

There're different reasons for my decision, mainly because I am pissed by the entire Black-Metal genre. I simply can't identify myself, nor ABIGOR with today's Black-Metal genre anymore - it simply limits my creativity in so many ways, and I guess too many people and fans won't be able to understand the new material, because it's by far too untypical, technical and complex. Too many are addicted to old values, and our previous releases, while I hate stagnation and I am not willed to compose a copy of any previous record just to satisfy the need of the people, and our distributions! - Peter K.

i don't have anything against abigor. i sort of remember hearing something from them some time in the past. still if they just took the lines from those dt songs without even saying hi to the guys it's a pretty lame thing to do, don't you think?

we may add "always and never". it also occurs in that text, and given the other examples it´s probably not a coincidence. this was... weird. :err:

i think almost every phrase on that song is a rip off (can't look up the lyrics right now) and even if they aren't straight rip offs, some lines like "Silent screams - Beaten and torn / Sanctify - This life of scorn" remind DT's style a lot.