This is bullshit!

Okay here is a list of the best bassists which people voted for.
http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/best-bassists-ever-2.asp

Steve DiGiorgio placed #156. That means the talentless bassist from Fall Out Boy ranked higher than Steve at #31. I hate when people think one of the members of their favorite bands is the best ever on their instrument. I think Steve should have placed within the top 5, he's definitely one of the most talented bass players I've ever heard.

Anyone else think this is bullshit?

Haha... For this reason, not this result, but the same reason you are talking about I hate "best of" lists. I know you feel cheated for my position being lower than you believe it should be, I appreciate the support. But for me, imagine, Billy Sheehan #44 or something...that is like 43 spots lower than I believe he should be sitting at. It's the same for college football, without a playoff system there will always be those who feel cheated for the reason of difference of opinion. But in college football that misopinion of power ranking can cost a team a chance to compete for a championship. With a best bass player list, I mean, who wins? who loses? Believe me, like the other guys on this list, I feel nothing for making the list or having a high or low position. I appreciate the recognition, but enjoying and sharing kickass basslines is more enjoyable than power rankings to me.
Cheers man!
When I run for President of the USA, then I want all of your votes!!!
SDG

yea I agree Steve, Rankings are stupid. there Basically cant be a "worlds best bass player" because everyone has their own unique techniques and abilitys. once someone gets really really good you can't really compare them, especially when one of then specializes in funk and the other in metal or something. like that.

I decided to bump this up to show you this: http://www.metalmartyr.com/bass-guitar-heroes-top-ten-bass-players-in-metal/

Funny how I referenced Billy as my fave in this thread and then I got him by one spot on this list..!

But you can find lists for everything, in any order, I could be ranked #156 on one list and #2 on another.

In Terrorizer's Dec1999 issue (or Jan2000 whatever) I was voted #1 bass player of the Decade, and yes, Steve Harris was #2. But I am curious with another decade behind us, has anyone seen if they did a 2000-2009 poll? If so, who are the bassists of the decade?

SDG

I decided to bump this up to show you this: http://www.metalmartyr.com/bass-guitar-heroes-top-ten-bass-players-in-metal/

Funny how I referenced Billy as my fave in this thread and then I got him by one spot on this list..!

But you can find lists for everything, in any order, I could be ranked #156 on one list and #2 on another.

In Terrorizer's Dec1999 issue (or Jan2000 whatever) I was voted #1 bass player of the Decade, and yes, Steve Harris was #2. But I am curious with another decade behind us, has anyone seen if they did a 2000-2009 poll? If so, who are the bassists of the decade?

SDG

http://www.metalmartyr.com/bass-guitar-heroes-top-ten-bass-players-in-metal/

They spelled your name wrong Mr. "DiGiorgia" :lol:

Steve harris shouldnt take the top spot IMO
i think sheehan for energy, or your for having that certain mood setting

There just isnt a best in music, BUT THEIR IS DEFIANTLY A WORST!!!!

I feel those articles are pretty shallow and pointless. Every bass player has something different to offer. A good groove is a good groove, even if it lacks technical dexterity. Pete Wentz is the best bassist in some kid's mind, but maybe that's what makes him happy the same way you feel when you hear your favorite lines/ tones. I feel a better article would have been to explore the difference in styles and grooves, recording techniques, gear, etc and offer up a good bit on the beauty of the diversity and how that shapes bass playing's overall character. You can't compare apples and oranges. It's opinion and not a javelin throwing contest. I never run ten miles and do a hundred push ups before picking up my strings.

Geezer is an absolute beast., but Myung and Burton are way overrated (yes, I said Burton). They are there probably for the status of their bands instead their own skills - they just CANT stay above Sean Malone, Erik Tiwaz and Lars Norberg or Jeroen (WHERE THE FUCK IS HIM??).

Those list suck anyway but I'm glad Steve is among the best.

I agree on Burton. If you break things down, he doesn't really hold up as a bassist. He is a good bassist, but he doesn't compare to SDG or Patterson, and certainly not Steve Harris! Burton was only on 3 albums and his legacy is honestly quite thin. SDG has been all over the place, and Harris has been playing on tons of albums, and turns out great performances every time. Patterson was only on one album, but he really did change the way metal could be played for bass. Atheist was one of the very first bass oriented metal bands where the bass is the dominant piece of the music. Patterson didn't just play the leads, he played the most important parts of the songs. Burton only did that on one or two songs (Orion), but compare him to any other well respected metal bassist, and he's not that great.

Whoa, I feel that's way out of line and disrespectful. Burton was great, and I could argue this all day. There were biographies written of him surpassing his teachers and spending hours learning Bach and Stanley Clarke. He may not have expressed the styles of playing you describe but I am very confident he was just as capable of doing such.
Quality supersedes quantity. He only played on 3 albums (which is also not his fault - RIP CLiff), 3 of my favorite and I feel the greatest albums of all time. I could listen to them all day. If you play on 20 albums of 1 it doesn't mean anything if you don't sound good or do what's best the first time. Those 3 albums to me hold more weight than any other bassist whose played on any number of albums. And then , less is sometimes more. Was Phil Lynott a sucky bassist because he didn't play 500 notes in ten seconds? No, but he was in the pocket and did what he had to do. He could probably make one note sound better than someone who can play 100 note arpeggios at 120 bpm. That is the bass's function, is it not? I'm not against flashy at all, but it does not squash simplicity. Metal came from Rock which came from Blues and Jazz and a lot of those guys are pretty simple. Billy Gibbons is one of my favorites. He's simple but listen to " I Need You Tonight " the bass simply Sounds awesome. There is more to consider than technicality, and that is a very narrow way to look at a person's skill. Geezer was a Blues player, and yes awesome bassist, didn't do much EVH type of stuff with it. But in addition he was also an awesome Songwriter - does that not count?
Also I've met countless bassists who could play all over the neck, but, it "sounded" like shit, because of EQ settings, acoustic environment of a Keggar party, levels, etc. But I play "Aint Talkin Bout Love " or " Stillborn ", good tone, level, it's not 1000 notes, but it sucks? I could've easily played Cello suite, but choose not to. Does this not count.
I don't think it's anyone's place to say who's who or what's what. Really unless you're Steve. He's " Been there and Done that " Maybe some of us have toured but it's probably not our place to establish rank since I'd assume most of us here are playing out of our basement or maybe the local tavern. Humility.

You see, I just don't have the same amount of respect for those albums. Cliff is a great bassist, but his work on those three albums just aren't that impressive to me, and I don't have anything else to go on for him. It's not anyone's place to say who is or isn't the best. It IS people's place to say who they THINK is the best. You can disagree with me all you want, but don't call me "out of line" for preferring other bassists. Digiorgio outranks him to me, as does Patterson and Harris. The biggest problem with music is that people think you have to be super established to have an opinion at all, and that's unfair. Like if I say I don't like a band, they say "let's see you try it!". I can't play Burton's bass, but Digiorgio probably could. It doesn't matter who actually is the better bassist, but I believe Digiorgio is and I'd rather stand up for him and show respect to Burton at the same time, which I did by saying even though he's a good bassist, I prefer Digiorgio.

I just felt like a lack of humility was stinkin this place up. I've heard these debates a million times and can't fathom how some people have the audacity to say such things. It's a dangerous thing to have only point of view and that's what bothers me. That and the fact that usually the people sayin these things are ' kids livin at home who have never done shit type ' . When I read that " Burton doesn't hold up.. yadda yadda .. " >"BLASPHEMY!"<
And I went into "Internet-tough-guy" mode. But really I'm just sayin how I feel without tryin to be self righteous about it. You must understand Burton is the name for God to me. Bass wise. And there is a few others. Yeah when I first heard Control Denied and the "Muah Mwah Buah Mhau Muah" Bass tone, I was like "What the fuck is that?!" *ear to the speaker*. Needless to say I bought a fretless without hesitation next time I saw one.
Whatever , fuck it. I've probably yelled at the TV when the White Sox are sucking ass, but I'm not a professional basesball player. So yeah, I guess you don't really need to be established, and everyone has an opinion.
I was told a beautiful quote by a teacher who told me that when you listen to a song , even if you don't like it. Try and find something 'within' in though that you may like. Like I was sayin about the Pete Wentz thing, or say a pop or rap song. Like you may not like the song. It might suck, but try to listen with a different ear. Try and be like ," well you know what though, I Do kinda like the bass tone." or " well, that is a decent effect on that part" or it's an interesting vocal mix or backing track or something" or " If I was producer/writer, maybe it'd be cooler if there was a key change here" you know something 'within' it you can appreciate.
See it's really more certain mindsets people tend to have (not sayin "you" have it) then what they say. I'm just sayin how I feel. Without trin to be arrogant, or a jagoff. Cool band by the way.

Ya. I agree with that. In this case, the thing I like about early Metallica is Cliff Burton. But I don't think that his legacy lives up to what I've heard. I wouldn't call him in the top 5 bassists based off of what I've heard. I was first introduced to the concept of bass through Steve Harris, and although Cliff Burton teached me new things about the bass as well, he didn't have as big an impact on me as Harris or Digiorgio. When I first heard Individual Thought Patterns, the song "Jealousy", I was blown away, and it's had a huge impact on me. When a bassist's playings influence me as a GUITARIST, that is a very strong statement. That's actually the main reason Gene Hoglan is my favorite drummer, because of how much his drumming influenced my riffing. I love Cliff Burton, and have a lot of respect for him, but respect does not require blind praise. I respect his playing, but like other bassists more.

And was "cool band by the way" directed towards my band? I'm just wondering.

No, your band sucks.

just kidding. Yeah, It was "refreshing". Good stuff. Yeah I have different influences on my playing from different players of different instruments. I like for example how Yngwie has his drums synched up to his riffing, the "chug chug chug chug chug" 1-2-3-4-5 type of beats/riffs. And I really like the Chunky tones/heaviness and dynamics, etc of players like Zakk Wylde and DimeBag. I really like in Blues Bass how you can really "feel" the emotion in it, and say in like Billy Gibbon's Guitar playing you can really hear and feel what he's playing and what it's saying. I try to do the same thing in that regard, to really express that "soul." In metal though it's just "pulse" that "Boom" or thunder that you feel, with the "in yer face" type of dynamics. It could be whatever you want. I personally roll off on all the highs so it really does "thump" with that loud "Boom" that you feel and turn it up to Asshole volume level. It's earthquake simulation and I love it. People get pissed but, I couldn't have it any other way. Stuff fall off of shelves, etc. Yeah I love Intense drums, can't have it any other way. If the drummer isn't beating the skins like it's the last show he's ever going to play then forget it. Fortunately I've jammed eith some pretty intense people. We feed off of each other though and that's the beautiful thing. Some Gang Banger guy even walked up to me at a Basement party after a set and was like " whoa dude - that was fuckin intense" . I don't really get to jam much anymore, and don't play in any bands now. But I do miss it. This summer I'm sure we'll relive the " get fucked up and jam" days. I got a buddy who's got an apartment right on the Beach ( I used to live there too) we're gonna set up on the rooftop. Plus I just bought a mini guitar amp from the thrift store. The kind that uses 9 volt battery and even has a strap. Pretty cool. I think I got pretty off topic. But I want to say that I think it's awesome how every musician offers something different. Thus, variety is the spice of many things. I guess If I had to pick a favorite drummer right now, I guess Vinnie Paul . I really like the drum sound on " Far Beyond Driven". Oh yeah, I get Richard Christy is worth mentioning -