like:

virgil donati (planet x)
simon philips (toto)
john longstreth (origin, last skinless)
john (cephalic carnage)
kenneth schalk (candiria)
chris pennie (dillinger escape plan)
davide piovesan (ephel duath)

the first 2 are both worldclass and you can't really say one is better then the other (you can put bozzio also in this catogorie)

john longstreth and john (not the same dude) playes brutal death metal but with a speed i never heard before, i think they are even faster then flo from cryptosy. And they both got a style not like most death metal drummers i heard. Lot of jazzy things and still brutal. John from cephalic carnage told me that he also recorded a cd with the guitarist and bassist from mr bungle. It's not out yet but it will soon if everything works out right.

kenneth schalk is just a jazz drummer in a 'hardcore' band. The groove that he gives in a song is really great. You can't keep your head still with him after the drum kit.

chris from DEP is also amazing alot of speedy time changes.

davide piovesan is a 48 jazz drummer that playes in ephel duath since there latest cd. I have red a few reviews that called there cd the cynic of this decade because of all the jazzy sounds. They got also a prog bass player so the basis is jazz but the guitarist and vocal parts are really noisy so it's not your typical band.

The dude (Tom Ptoe?) from Lykathea Aflame could pwn most of the guys mentioned in this thread.
Flo Mounier
Steve Flynn
Sean Reinert
John Longstreeth
dude from Devourment
Thomas Haake
Buddy Rich
Papa Jo Jones
Asgeir Mickelson
Bobby Jarzombek

1.Virgil Donati - Planet X
2.Tony Laureano - Nile
3.Dave Suzuki - Vital Remains
4.Carter Beauford - Dave Mathews Band
5.Doc - Vader

U Fucking Idiots The Best Drummer On Earth Is
Christoph Doom Schneider
And Neil Peart.

Zeig Heil For The 3rd Generation Nazis

Christoph Doom Schneider
And Neil Peart.

that's a fantastic post, man- so open-minded and respectful of others' choices...and the signature... just great:puke: congratulations

nazis fuck off!

My favourites:

Jarle Vespestad (FARMERS MARKET)
* Norwegian band, who play a mix of Bulgarian folk music, jazz, funk ... he's the baddest!!! Anyone who is even remotely aware of the complexity of traditional Bulgarian music knows what I mean.

Zoltan Csorsz (THE FLOWER KINGS)
* the last album 'Unfold the Future' is a pure delight! One of the most talented and innovative young players.

Merv Peppler (OZRIC TENTACLES)
* he is truly amazing!

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Btw, I love the works of Christy, Mickelson, Hoglan, Bozzio, Colaiuta, Chambers, Weckl, Smitty Smith, Elvin Jones ... there are so many high-quality drummers.

I don't appreciate Ulrich and Portnoy ... they are the epitome of stangancy ... move on and get a life, and leave the double-bass-drum attack to the guy from Rhapsody.

The most hillarious were always Alex Van Halen and that guy from Cheap Trick for having a myriad of drums on stage, especilly bass drums.

Oh, yeah ... and let's not forget Tim Alexander from Primus and Attention Deficit! I hear that he also played in Blue Man Group?!?

You all named very awesome drummer but forgot a very important one:
Pete Sandoval from Morbid Angel

Track 13 on Heretic - Drum Check, 2 minute drum solo

check it out and try to pretend like you're unimpressed

davidian said:
..But maybe Dave Lombardo deserves to be mentioned. I would never say "best in the world" or anything, cause I'm sure there are more technical drummers, but he did a hell of a job on "The Gathering" by Testament. Very very very tight and fast. Extremely brutal.
:OMG: :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump:
Deserves to be mentioned? DESERVES TO BE MENTIONED??? dude, there is no one better than him. if you've only listened to The Gathering, you wouldnt know that, but if you listened to Slayer's Reign In Blood, South of Heaven, Hell Awaits, then you'd understand. its quite simple. Dave Lombardo>EVERYONE.
o yea, after him i guess Neil Peart, and then the dude from Celtic Frost.

israel said:
Here are my top-3 drummers for metal:

Richard Christy (just... KILLER!!! how was playing with him, Steve??)
Nicko McBrain (KILLER too, but not too 'crazy' as Richard Christy)
Jon Allen (hehehe, another friend of Steve... Steve is lucky choosing drummers... heheh)

That's all, let the bassists say their favourites!!!

Gene Hoglan
Dave Lombardo
Pete Sandoval

RAMM3R said:
Christoph Doom Schneider
And Neil Peart.

ever hear that song by Napalm Death "Nazi Punks Fuck Off"? listen carefully and take a hint

1. Jon Allen (saw him live. kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiller, maaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!!!!!!!)

2. Pat Mastelotto (King Crimson's drummer. saw him live. impreeeeeeessive, man)

3. Danny Carey (TOOL's drummer. never saw him live but ...... awesooooooome, man)

4. Steve Shelley (SONIC YOUTH's drummer. saw him live. groooooovey, man)

5. Igor Cavalera.

6. Nick Menza.

7. Gene Hoglan.

8. Sean Reinert.

and......RAMM3R.......... get the hell outta here.....quickly.......