music ain't a competition, blablabla... here's my top 3 :

Gene Hoglan
Sean Reinert
Tony Laureano

Bobby rules too, he's definitely in my "metal top 5"

Hellhammer (aka Jan Axel Van Blomberg)
Neil Peart
Flo Mournier (on the first two albums)
That guy from Quo Vadis is quickly moving on uo as well...

Why are there so many mentions of Hellhammer? Eh.. he's good.. but... eh. Wildoer ownz him =)

J

Originally posted by HippieOfDoom
So I guess I could mention other guys I recorded with like Dave Lombardo, Deen Castronovo, Jeremy Coulson and Asgeir Mickelson

Ahhh, Deen Castronovo. Yeah, he is cool. His work on that Marty Friedman album (Dragons kiss I think it's called) is killer. He used to pop up all over the place. Mr Versatile :D

Originally posted by J the TyranT
Why are there so many mentions of Hellhammer? Eh.. he's good.. but... eh. Wildoer ownz him =)

Well, he's rather high-profile, so I guess he draws alot of attention. He brought Black Metal drumming to somewhat of a new level (one of the first to do that whole switching-hands sub-blast thing. Instead of playing the snare with the right hand, does it with the left, but still uses the hands in the same order or something like. Not being a drummer, I don't totally understand, but it's an interesting effect, putting the snare on the off-beat). And one of the few BM drummers, prior to the last couple of years, to have very little out-of-time errors. Soooo much good BM is destroyed by drummers who can't keep up, or get ahead of themselves when blasting. Hellhammer keeps it tight.

He's fast. He stays in time. He does some complex rhythms. And he's got the coolest name in BM :lol:. That's why I like him.

Now if someone could convince him to drop the triggers........

(oh, and J... who does Wildoer play for? Any good stuff you can recommend? Always on the lookout for some good musicians.)

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom

Well, he's rather high-profile, so I guess he draws alot of attention. He brought Black Metal drumming to somewhat of a new level (one of the first to do that whole switching-hands sub-blast thing. Instead of playing the snare with the right hand, does it with the left, but still uses the hands in the same order or something like. Not being a drummer, I don't totally understand, but it's an interesting effect, putting the snare on the off-beat). And one of the few BM drummers, prior to the last couple of years, to have very little out-of-time errors. Soooo much good BM is destroyed by drummers who can't keep up, or get ahead of themselves when blasting. Hellhammer keeps it tight.

He's fast. He stays in time. He does some complex rhythms. And he's got the coolest name in BM :lol:. That's why I like him.

Now if someone could convince him to drop the triggers........

(oh, and J... who does Wildoer play for? Any good stuff you can recommend? Always on the lookout for some good musicians.)

most drummers play the snare with their left hand, most of the time. dude from krisiun switches to his right when he's blasting for super long times, but other than that, he uses his left hand. i dont remember what hellhammer does. been a while sense i've seen mayhem, and the dvd blows.

also, i have idea what kind of beat or blast you are talking about. can you name a song and give a time that he does this?

I prefer Asgeir Mickelson, Ole Ohman or Nick Barker as far as BM goes... although Asgeir plays shitloads more...............

Blastbeats... eh... overrated... not as difficult as people make it out to being. You just practice it, and if you've got any wrist speed... it's nothing amazing. The hardest shit is polyrhythmic circles. Splitting time signatures within yourself and keeping your hi-hat at 7/8 while the bass and snare is on 4/4....... THAT, is what I call difficult =)

Peter Wildoer did a FEW songs on Arch Enemy's stigmata album, and plays drums for Swedish metal band - Darkane. Good shit for any fans of Soilwork, At The Gates, etc.... his approach, power, and mix of technical finesse is good shit.

J

The vocalist for the first album, Lawrence Mackrory, is very versatile.. he did good on Rusted Angel I thought.. and sang clean on Andromeda... vrey good job. Speaking of Andromeda.. their drummer is a talented guy as well, although his name escapes me right now...

J

Originally posted by J the TyranT
The hardest shit is polyrhythmic circles. Splitting time signatures within yourself and keeping your hi-hat at 7/8 while the bass and snare is on 4/4....... THAT, is what I call difficult =)
J

Yeah, that's REALLY HARD, and Mike Portnoy is a master in this art of polyrythmic things....

Originally posted by The Wanderer
most drummers play the snare with their left hand, most of the time. dude from krisiun switches to his right when he's blasting for super long times, but other than that, he uses his left hand. i dont remember what hellhammer does. been a while sense i've seen mayhem, and the dvd blows.

I kinda got the impression that it was like this- keeping the left/right hand pattern the same but switching the hands. So if you go right hand on the snare, then your pattern may go snare-ride-snare-ride. If you change the hands but keep the pattern the same, then it goes ride-snare-ride-snare, but this puts the snare slightly behind the beat. As I said, I'm not a drummer, but this is the understanding I got. It was in an interview in Metal Maniacs, their drum expert talking with Hellhammer, they were going on about how he was one of the first to do this (back in the early 90s). I didn't buy the issue though, so it's a little fuzzy. And I'm not talking about the full-on blast, more the quick bass/snare alternation. So, like the snare, but a little slower.

also, i have idea what kind of beat or blast you are talking about. can you name a song and give a time that he does this?

Nothing springs to mind right now, but I'll take a flick through and try to find something. Like I said, it made perfect sense when I read it, and there were examples, but that was a few months ago. Anyway, I should still find it (if I'm actually thinking of the right thing :D )

OK, if I'm not mistaken, check out the opening of Funeral Fog (off the DMDS version) for that Hellhammer thing. If you listen to the snare drum, he sounds out of time, but follow the symbol and he's there. I've been thinking about it, and I think basically it's a case of him treating the cymbol as if it's the snare, and vice-versa. :err: