This is one of the worst interviews I've ever read

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
and it's the subject's fault. OK, you're only fourteen, but Jesus. can you be more bland?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/11/20/cnna.adu/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Teenage soccer sensation Freddy Adu turned pro this week, signing a multiyear deal with Major League Soccer's D.C. United -- a contract that likely makes him the league's highest-paid player.

Adu, 14, immigrated to the United States from Ghana in 1997. He is considered to be the most promising young player in the world.
CNN Anchor Bill Hemmer sat with Adu on Thursday to talk about his highly anticipated professional debut.

HEMMER: How does it feel being a pro now?

ADU: The same way it felt two days ago.

HEMMER: No difference?

ADU: No difference.

HEMMER: You're kind of in a different category these days.

ADU: Yeah, yeah.

HEMMER: Why did you want to stay close to home, in D.C.?

ADU: Because I am only 14, and you know, I talked about this with my mom. She wants me to just be around her for a little bit longer. And that had a little bit to do with my decision.

HEMMER: When did you think you were a pretty special player? What age?

ADU: I don't know, around 5 years old.

HEMMER: Really? That young? What were you doing at 5?

ADU: I was playing with kids that were 10 years old, 9, and I was holding my own.

HEMMER: I read a story about your family. They won an immigration lottery back in Ghana, which allowed them access to the U.S. How did that work?

ADU: We just applied for an immigration lottery, and the chances of winning that are very slim. And somehow, you know, we won it, and we had the opportunity to come here.

HEMMER: You became a U.S. citizen this past year, February. What did that mean to you?

ADU: That meant a lot. I mean, this country's treated me so well. It's given me a lot of opportunities and to become a citizen -- just, I was very excited and my mom was, too.

HEMMER: What do you think about the attention right now? It's coming fast and furious, isn't it?

ADU: Yeah, yeah. But I'm not really worried about it.

HEMMER: You're OK with it?

ADU: I'm OK with it.

HEMMER: Some people describe you with remarkable speed, vision and ball-handling skills. You practiced with some of the pro players. How did you stack up?

ADU: I was doing pretty well. I scored a game-winning goal a couple of times.

HEMMER: What did you learn?

ADU: I learned that you got to come out and play every single time. You can't take plays off. You can't be scared either. Just go out and play and have fun.

HEMMER: You're smart, too -- an accelerated program in school, going to graduate early. That's certainly good news. Got a question for you. We were talking about this yesterday. Who's your favorite player of all time?

ADU: Pele.

HEMMER: You've seen him on videotape?

ADU: Yes.

HEMMER: What do you like about him?

ADU: Everything. His speed, his goal-scoring ability, his skill, everything about him -- I mean, he's the greatest player. I'm sure if you ask anybody else they'll say Pele is the greatest player.

HEMMER: Athletically, do you see similarities? ...

ADU: I guess, I don't know. Maybe the speed, and I guess the way we look maybe.