this is one of the most depressing things i've thought of in a while (re:Star Wars)

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
So, basically, a little while ago I was thinking about today's youth, and how they see a lot of the things that we grew up with...and it dawned on me that after being exposed to Star Wars Episode I+II and the "Special Editions" of the first three films...they must think those of us who totally worship(ped) Star Wars to be completely retarded.

I mean, Episode I and II were all right (II more than I), and the Special Editions still kept the general elements of the original films...but when I think of how incredibly awesome I think the first three films are, and their unparalleled status in my young mind, I realise that there's no way the youth of today understand that. They've been poisoned by Lucas' recent "vision". And yeah, later generations can never experience it quite the same, but usually they can approximate an understanding...that's why you have kids eternally "discovering" old musicians, writers, and filmmakers, as they suddenly understand just what previous generations found so great about them and agree.

So that makes me kind of sad. A superlative corner of our childhood, totally lost and ruined. A much smaller percentage of kids in the future are ever going to "discover" Star Wars because of Lucas' revampings. And those who don't are going to look back and say, "What the hell were my parents thinking? Jar Jar Binks?!"

I was of but II was just awful. II is like the Ministry song: Connect the goddamn dots! Just be sure to mention everything that is relevent to IV-V and VI... The only redeeming value of Lucas Enterprises in the past ten years are the video games that are consistently above norm...

I thought both of the new SW movies where unforgivable. Most of the earlier books, before the whole New Jedi Order thing where quite good, and kept the spirit of the first 3 movies. Everything about new SW stuff feels so cheap.