This is what happens when Mesa gets a bad review

I've watched a shitton of Ola videos and I almost never see him apply post-EQ to his guitar tones, so maybe that's a subtle indicator of the tonal characteristics :lol:

It's most likely an indicator that most guitar player just need to be better to get better tone. And not worry so much about their equipment.

I'm a big Mesa fan but, yea, kinda awkward video!

It's most likely an indicator that most guitar player just need to be better to get better tone. And not worry so much about their equipment.

This aligns 100% with what I've found. The fact that technique has so much to do with the final guitar tone seems completely lost on most guitarists.

Everything demoed sounds terrible in these videos, just a case of poor finger tone, clumsy picking hand and dialing the same set of unpleasant frequencies (that may sound good in that particular room) ...

The only people I've heard do great demos are Ola and actual engineers on this & that forum, shops and normies always mess it up haha.

Everything demoed sounds terrible in these videos, just a case of poor finger tone, clumsy picking hand and dialing the same set of unpleasant frequencies (that may sound good in that particular room) ...

The only people I've heard do great demos are Ola and actual engineers on this & that forum, shops and normies always mess it up haha.

Does the fingers on the fretboard really make things sound different?

Does the fingers on the fretboard really make things sound different?

Yep, considering the way notes are fretted by different players. Not to mention pick/pick attack, where the string is plucked, where the palm rests and with what pressure during palm muting. It all adds up.

Yep, considering the way notes are fretted by different players. Not to mention pick/pick attack, where the string is plucked, where the palm rests and with what pressure during palm muting. It all adds up.

Do you mean just the actual fretting finger?

Some people say people with more or less "finger fat" makes different sounds...

Fretting fingers and picking hand. My other guitar player and I can play the same riff all day long and will never both sound the same.

Well, I actually made a test and fretting fingers makes NO difference.

Picking technique does make a difference tho. But saying different fingers sounds different is just not true. If paper, plastic and metal makes the same sound as a finger, different fingers (basically all the same material) just can't make a different. The tone stops at the fret, what happens behind, is not important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A7IoWqfNBo

The fingers dont make differece but it´s how people use them. There are a world of issues, especially when comes to intonation, it´s very easy to have chords out of tune if the fingers are not positioned correctly in the fretboard.

The fingers dont make differece but it´s how people use them. There are a world of issues, especially when comes to intonation, it´s very easy to have chords out of tune if the fingers are not positioned correctly in the fretboard.

That's all about playing technique, not tone ;)

Having bad technique though leads to a bad tone IMO.

Getting shit takes where the player is bending the strings out of tune, sloppy lead playing with half ass bends/ear piercing vibrato, player can't fret chords properly, bass player refusing to mute strings that aren't being played, all of this leads to a bad tone (mix).

Having good musicianship both arrangement and performance wise is pretty much where the majority of a good mix comes from.

It ALL contributes to the tonality of the instrument. I can play a riff multiple times and change the tonality by how the left hand is fretting the instrument. Is it a giant difference? Well, that depends on the part, but most likely unless the guy just can't play, it won't have has big of an impact. It's still something I pay very close attention to when producing a record because inconsistencies can build up over time and make a particular riff sound "wrong" in context.

Having bad technique though leads to a bad tone IMO.

Getting shit takes where the player is bending the strings out of tune, sloppy lead playing with half ass bends/ear piercing vibrato, player can't fret chords properly, bass player refusing to mute strings that aren't being played, all of this leads to a bad tone (mix).

Having good musicianship both arrangement and performance wise is pretty much where the majority of a good mix comes from.

Also all of this, especially the last part.