This month's Sound On Sound...

Count out a 4/4 beat in your head.

--ONE-----and-----TWO------and-----THREE-------and--------FOUR-----and-|
HH+KD-----------HH+Snr-------------HH+KD---HH+KD----HH+Snr---------|

The hit on the 'and' of "THREE and" should be just kick, not hat + kick.

Now I get it. Thank you :worship:

How dare you compare Metallica to Mcdonald`s!:puke:
(McDonald´s has saved many a musician on tour from starvation in a foreign country!)

He may not be the greatest drummer of all time but he is huge!
Those first 5 albums are landmarks! Music has moved on since them yes, but no matter how good or bad, the band pulled those albums off.
I have definitely moved on since the 80/90´s Metalica but I can appreciate what they did for the music that I like.

Mose people just criticize without realizing how much effort was put into a project and what compromises were made and what were the deadlines.

I would like to see anybody here pull off any Metalica album! And pull it off on tape!
Hahahahahah

Carlos

Yeah, cool. Still not immune to being criticized

The hit on the 'and' of "THREE and" should be just kick, not hat + kick.

Why? He can do whatever he wants to, it´s his music!

You should get over yourself man!

Carlos

Regardless of his past success the dude could really do with working on his timing:

Metallica are one of the most overrated metal bands in my opinion. Personally I've never understood the fuss about them.
Sure they did alot for metal back in the day, but they've spent alot of time riding on that success without putting out anything decent. Generally I also think their songs tend to ramble a bit without enough different riffs etc to justify how long the song is.
That all being said, Death Magnetic was certainly an improvement. I'm not a Metallica fan but I actually quite like that album.

Flame suit, on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the article, most of that info (and more) is already available on posts Rasmussen made on gearslutz.

I think there's no denying Lars was a great drummer. Maybe his timing wasn't perfect, but he had the groove right and I think the groove is more important. He also helped write many of the songs which you may or may not agree were classics.

Lars wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination but he had a fairly unique style (which may have been born out of his inability to play anything too complicated?) Metallica wouldn't be Metallica without Lars. I just choose to pretend that the band disbanded after AJFA - makes life a little better.

Sure they did alot for metal back in the day, but they've spent alot of time riding on that success without putting out anything decent. Generally I also think their songs tend to ramble a bit without enough different riffs etc to justify how long the song is.

I am much more pleasant listen this shit than listen nowdays depressing generic core

Ummm .....

Listen back to that Rock Am Ring Performance, hes right on the 2 and the 4 other then when hes playing fills. The guys timing is very very good. Granted hes only playing Kick Snare Kick Snare nowadays but hes right on, even when his fills are way the fuck off in left field hes still nailing the 1 2 3 4 ....

Now dont get me wrong I hate Lars as much as the next guy, but his work on Lightning, Puppets & And Justice CREATED modern drumming as we know it. His playing on And Justice was fucking incredible. I saw them 4 times on that tour and he was SPOT FUCKING ON every night.

Lars USED to be amazing, but after the black album and success he stopped practicing and became the epitomy of what he hated back in the day.

I dare anyone to find a bad performance of him Pre black album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen back to that Rock Am Ring Performance, hes right on the 2 and the 4 other then when hes playing fills. The guys timing is very very good. Granted hes only playing Kick Snare Kick Snare nowadays but hes right on, even when his fills are way the fuck off in left field hes still nailing the 1 2 3 4 ....

If you honestly think that the Creeping Death (*edit* the recent, non Binge/Purge one) video that was posted has a good drum performances that is on time, you have seriously fucked up standards.

Funny how noone has mentioned the guitars in that video, as they're pretty sloppy when it comes to the riffs, too.

Ummm .....

THIS

Now dont get me wrong I hate Lars as much as the next guy, but his work on Lightning, Puppets & And Justice CREATED modern drumming as we know it. ]

Lars USED to be amazing, but after the black album and success he stopped practicing and became the epitomy of what he hated back in the day.

I dare anyone to find a bad performance of him Pre black album.

Word!

If you honestly think that the Creeping Death (*edit* the recent, non Binge/Purge one) video that was posted has a good drum performances that is on time, you have seriously fucked up standards.

Funny how noone has mentioned the guitars in that video, as they're pretty sloppy when it comes to the riffs, too.

im not saying it was good. I am just saying the guy keeps time. His fills are all over the fucking place, but his 1 2 3 4 are right in the pocket. I think you been editing drums too much to realize some people are just human and there is some "swing" to it.

FYI that was a joke jeff about the drum editing. So laugh.

im not saying it was good. I am just saying the guy keeps time. His fills are all over the fucking place, but his 1 2 3 4 are right in the pocket. I think you been editing drums too much to realize some people are just human and there is some "swing" to it.

FYI that was a joke jeff about the drum editing. So laugh.

Yeah, poor me having frequent label-based editing work. :lol:

His 1 2 3 4 are constantly rushing and going back and forth - not normal swing, just sloppiness. Not to mention his single hits, the kick+crash stuff in the beginning that's supposed to match the guitars... some are dead on, but more than a few are flamming like crazy.

He comes in SUPER early on a lot of those kick+crash accents in those parts, like BRUTAL...

But I haven't seen any particularly shitty old performances by him when he was in practice, and he was pretty integral to the songwriting as I understand it back in the day. Metallica is just about the most important band of all time for me when it comes to developing my musical taste... As much as I'm sick of that stuff now, it is fucking legendary and has more of my respect than just about any other band ever.

Why? He can do whatever he wants to, it´s his music!

You should get over yourself man!

Carlos

No, right hand/foot seperation is a key element of playing drums, if you can't do it, you're not very good, IMO.. that beat is like the first thing you learn to play.. I'm not knocking is songwriting input in anyway.. just his general suckage at playing.. has he had good moments? sure, but that doesn't change a whole lot in my but ability wise..

EDIT: Especially since we're talking about black album tempos where seperation should be effortless in that particular beat.. I believe it's Nothing Else Matters or Unforgiven..

-P