Those magical moments in metal songs ...

Slynt

Lord and Liar
May 31, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Some metal songs have small parts in them that are so great I sit there waiting for them to come along...often only small bits of the song, these magical moments somehow lift the song above it's original quality. Know what I mean?

Some of those moments, for me, include:

My Dying Bride - "Edenbeast", 6:50: What can I say? It's beautiful.

Dark Tranquillity - "Fabric", 2:38: This part lasts like 3 seconds, but means a lot to me. There's something about that melody in there.

Opeth - "Black Rose Immortal", when Mikael sings "you are in a forest unknown..."

Edge of Sanity - "Twilight", the entire song really, but it is extra spine-chilling when the song returns to normal with Dan's "No...!"

...there are many of these small, magical moments I adore...

...any one else ??

I have so many.....

One is BRI - when Mikael sings "your voice is vast and achromatic" (basically ur bit)

The drapery falls - like autumn leaves...

Katatonia - the future of speech - another day it can't (silence) get worse (choruse comes in again) love that bit

Several parts in tubular bells

If I wasn't in such a hurry I would leave many more....

For me, exactly those parts in The Drapery Falls and The Future Of Speech that godisanatheist describes and also:

Tool - Parabol/Parabola - just the way Parabol's quiet reflectiveness is shattered by a feedback volume swell, then Parabola's full force hits you like a speeding truck. Perfect pacing!

Akercocke - Of Menstrual Blood And Semen - the first time Jason screams 'SAAAATAAAAAAAAANNNN!' as it's simply hilarious...

Taproot - Again And Again - 'I'm.... so... sorryyyy.... AAAAARRRRGH!' - again, perfect pacing and hilarious at the same time.

Another part I'm very fond of, just listened to it now, is in the last half of Rotting Christ's "Victoriatus", wow, it's so immense when that choir (ahem, keyboard) joins the riff ... powerful, delicious, beautiful metal!:loco:

The "When the priest comes to read me the last rites" bit in 'Halowed Be Thy Name,' where it feels like Bruce's voice just fills all available space in the world. It gets me every time.

Oooo, another one springs to mind: in Celestial Season's "Above Azure Oceans", in the calm part in the middle, when the vocalist is talking and then transforms the last word into a growl and this delicious melody comes up. That's a spine-shivering moment I'd say.

"Intro to Reality" on Persistence of Time by Anthrax. Eerie sound, cool drums; gotta love it.

Also, on "To Live is To Die" by Metallica on And Justice For All when the lyrics come in
"When a man dies, he murders some part of the world..." I love that part.

Also, "P.A.A.B" on No Place For Disgrace by Flotsam and Jetsam, when they use the bell and the music all comes together so smoothly.

I'll see if I notice any more.

The Acussation Chair - King Diamond 3:15. When he put that creepy voice and sings "Nowhere to run, Grandma has died" I love that part it's amazing, that only part makes 'Them' my favorite King Diamond album

MASTER!!!!!!!
If I remember another part of a song I will post again

:headbang:

kool thread...i 2nd that part in twilight , that part is amazing another edge of sanity is in crimson when dan says " or an unholy....then mike comes in with GODDDDDDDDDDDD.(28th minute)

also the part in twilight is my robe about 6 minutes or so amazing every time
nightingale about 2 minutes into deep inside of nowhere...
god dethroned in swallow the spikes the last solos of the songs are amazing
the part in the mootwith humming

and countless others, but these are what seem to stand out at the moment.

Originally posted by Blizzard Beast
[B"ooohh, achilles, that thy arrows fly"[/B]
"...into the wind where eagles cross the sky", indeed great moment.
I think that there are many magic moments in heavy metal. small parts that just stick in your mind, heart and soul. If you come to think about them, you will see the extends they may have. I mean so many beautifull moments. There are so many that i want to post, but i will only mention this:
In :A Pleasant Shade Of Gray" of Fates Warning in part VI where keys fill the room in a very depressing atmosphere there exists an out-of-the-sky cry of a baby. Lifts me up anytime. And in... oops I said i will only mention one.:heh:

Borknagar-Universal, when Simen sings "I can tame all fire....."

Simply the most majestic and epic sounding piece of music ever created!

As well, The Chorus in Vintersorg's Ars Memorativa. Kick ass!

Nevermore: The sanity assassin, when warrel sings: don`t be afraid to dream outside the lines

In Flames: Ordinary story when anders sings gather the faithful...

But all songs of nevermore are absolutely amazing, i can`t describe exatly with words....

On the eight day god made the art of war

I would have to say the best metal song moment for me is the ending part of "Twilight Symphony" by Stratovarius. The one after he sings "The spirits are calling me / I only wish to die / There is no question why / Anymore", when the guitar melody kicks in. Geez..... that one can really get to me. I love those kinds of melodies, no vocals, nothing, just the band saying everything with a killer tune.

Some bands that've not been mentioned:

1. The last 2-3 minutes of Arcturus 'Ad Astra'
2. The bit just after the lyrics 'thousand times cursed in eternity' in Mayhem's 'Cursed in Eternity '
3. The piano part of Satyricon's 'Du Som Hater Gud'
4. The bit when the bass guitar joins in, in the last few minutes of Darkthrone's 'As flittermice as Satan's Spies'
5. The bit when the Slayer riff starts, in Ministry's 'Just One Fix'

There's more to come when i can describe the parts better...

Now two more unforgettable moments in Metal Songs

Amorphis – Elegy
3:57 When the growling voice of Tomi starts to sing after the clean vocals of Pasi, I think that part is absolutely amazing.
"Lomg Spirit my mourning...."

Iron Maiden – The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Who could ever forget that part where the bass of Steve Harris keep playing almost the same notes while Bruce with a strange voice starts to recite the Poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge ending with the phrase “They Dropped Down One By One”. Unforgettable !!!!